LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches

Options

Comments

• lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks Uncanny... I'm getting there. Slowly, ever so slowly! :rotfl: Have you had some snow? It's quite thick at my bit. On the one hand I love looking at it, on the other hand I really don't want to fall on my bum haha!

Took the dog a walk today so that's 3 days in a row. Feeling healthy already ;)

Work was OK and has been a NSD (it kind of had to be as I have £0). OH has his student finance payment tomorrow so I will have money again, yay! Plan is to either send it to the Santander CC or maybe to put it in savings. Not sure at the moment. I will consult the spreadsheet and see how I feel when he transfers it to me :o

Off work tomorrow and don't have any (fun) plans. Need to do some laundry (it's never-ending), hoover and change the bedding. Need to take doggo a walk as well but may see if we can borrow OH parents car to go to the Loch and take her on a bigger walk/ see some swans.

Currently waiting to watch the Falcon Heavy launch but they keep pushing it back due to high winds.

Feeling quite content this evening. Stressed about money (but I'm always stressed about money :o) Still content though.
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • Silver_Queen
    Options
    Just think how lovely it will be once it!!!8217;s all paid off and you don!!!8217;t have to think about debt anymore!
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • redofromstart
    Options
    :hello: lonelyrat - I did really well on SW but it did annoy me paying £5 to be embarrassed on some scales. The thread over on OS is a good place to start, the group I went to was very much about buying lots of muller lights and SW branded food when actually it should be about half of every meal being fruit/veg based. Could you have a challenge with your OH and weigh each other?

Glad you found the passport though, I got that far and had an 'oh no' moment for you.
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    That's true Silver Queen .... Each day is one day closer to freedom.

Hi Redofromstart thanks for popping in. I think I've dipped in and out of your diary but I will need to go back and have a nosey! I read a lot but don't comment on other people's diaries too often. I'm such a creep :cool: I think I will try and rope OH into healthy eating as well, I do think a friendly challenge may work as we're both quite competitive. We're getting more exercise than normal thanks to the dog walking so just need to make diet changes to go along with it. He got his SAAS today so I've made his credit card payments he needed to do and now I'm going to get him to have a think about what he'd like to eat next week (that's healthy AND cheap!) Think we'll do an Aldi shop tomorrow :) I know about the passport by the way... I was getting a bit nervous! It's now tucked up safe in the drawer with mine :o

Good news for OH by the way! He's now paid of 2 / 3 credit cards - £500 in total. Now he's just got one more sitting just over £700 at the moment and we should have that done in 3 months I think.

Today was a fun day (and another NSD). Took the doggo to the loch and took OH's niece along as well. Got more exercise than I think I have had in my whole adult life :rotfl: She was full of beans and insisted on running around everywhere. Was a lot of fun though but am shattered now. Already sitting in bed in my jammies!

Not tackled the housework which is a bit of a pain but I'm off tomorrow as well so shall just do it then. So plans for tomorrow are do everything I didn't do today and go to Aldi :) Also need to return an ASOS package. I bought a new jacket as mine has a hole in it but I don't think I like it enough to keep it. I really can't justify the purchase if I don't love it. The hole-y jacket will do for a bit longer. Ideally the weather turns soon and I can go back to my summer coat. It is supposedly going to snow here all next week though :( ... I actually feel like winter will never end at this point. Every year I think about buying a SAD lamp and I never actually do it. I think next year will finally be the year.

131 days
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    I can't sleep :( I never really used to get two days off at a time until I went part time and I think I'm still getting used to it. Having two days off means I seem to enter into Holiday mode and bedtimes/ waking up times go out the window. Need to try and find a way to counter this as it makes going back in after the two days off harder than it needs to be.

Been fiddling with my spreadsheet again and I think debt free by June is 100% doable. OH will be credit card debt free by May as well which is great. He does still have his student Overdraft but I've read the T's and C's and the full amount remains interest free for a year then reduces in increments the same way mine did. Once he graduates and gets a job the plan is for him to get another bank account and treat the Overdraft like a debt he pays monthly. I only just paid mine off and it was 2 years since I graduated... I don't want him to fall into the same trap that I did.

Feeling very positive but kind of wish I could just fast forward... I want to just be debt free ASAP! I know feeling this way means I'm just sort of wishing my life away which isn't great so I think I need to find more of a balance. I need to find more fun (free) things to do rather than think about debt and payments all the time.

Going to put on an episode of Once Upon A Time, turn the fairy lights off and see if I can nod off.

(later) Today
    1. Laundry
    2. Hoover
    3. Change bedding
    4. Take ASOS return to Post Office
    5. Get OH to meal plan
    6. Aldi Shop
    7. Take doggo a walk (going to go to the loch again but sans child this time).

Tomorrow should be a NSD for me. I have food in that will last me till payday so the Aldi shop is just for OH benefit. We don't really like the same food which is a bit of a pain. I'm a bit funny with meat - I've been an on and off veggie for years and years (currently off) and I just struggle with it sometimes whereas he's a massive carnivore. We just have different tastes so we don't always cook the same stuff. Im sure this makes our food bill more expensive but I'm not sure how to counter it.

130 days (very early in the day though).
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    Oh also - on the note of 'wishing my life away' I found a white hair :eek: It was at the front of my head at the temple and it makes me worried I have a thousand more at the back I can't see. I'm only 27 should I be getting white hairs?!

Not happy about this development... I haven't dyed my hair since I was about 16 and don't want to start now.
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    Today
    [STRIKE]1. Laundry
    [/STRIKE] Currently in the tumble and will sort when dry
    [STRIKE]2. Hoover
    [/STRIKE][STRIKE]3. Change bedding[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]4. Take ASOS return to Post Office[/STRIKE]
    5. Get OH to meal plan
    OH has not done this... He says he will do tomorrow
    [STRIKE]6. Aldi Shop
    [/STRIKE]OH got mince and has made spag bol for his dinner and I got some top up bits for the fridge and cupboard. I get paid in a week and have enough food in to last till then
    [STRIKE]7. Take doggo a walk[/STRIKE] (going to go to the loch again but sans child this time).
    Just went a walk about where we stay. OH's mum is out today with the car so couldn't make it to the loch. Will go another day.

Was an NSD for me as OH paid for the Aldi trip :cool:

Tonight I need to have a shower and sort the laundry away. Also want to try and have an early night as need to be up early for work tomorrow.

7 days until payday and I have exactly £0 left in my spending account :rotfl: ... I do have £20 left in my direct debit account and nothing else needs to go out. Am considering just transferring it to the Santander cc but probably should keep hold of it incase of emergencies. I think I'm just getting impatient :o
  • Silver_Queen
    Options
    Hi lonelyrat. When my sleeping pattern got messed up (until very recently my OH worked nights and started at 2am so I!!!8217;d stay up on the phone with him) I found the only way to fix it was to force myself to get up at 7am and not allow myself to nap all day. By about 10pm I!!!8217;d be knackered and ready to sleep. Well done for keeping up with the exercise! It!!!8217;s hard to have the motivation sometimes so well done you :)
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    Oh Silver Queen naps are my weakness... There's something so nice about sinking into a nap. I think I will just need to force myself to get up in the mornings. I always end up feeling rubbish if I oversleep. Thanks! I don't know if I'd really call it exercise though :rotfl: More of a slow plod. It does feel good to get moving again. I used to go on epic walks when I lived in the city... It was nice just exploring new places but now we live in a sort of suburb-y area there isn't anything exciting to see. This is why taking the dog is a good idea cos she gives me something to focus on!

Got a letter from Natwest today saying we just need to sign a declaration and send it off to them then the new account will be good to go. So that's nice... But I am thinking I may scrap it. I don't want to leave our Joint Account bank as I do like it and not sure if I can be bothered going through the process of applying for another account just to switch it. I am worried I will end up with too many searches on my credit report as well. I'll check in work and see if I can open another account with the bank I work for without having to have a hard search as I already have my dd account with them. If I did that I would need to contact Natwest and ask if I could change the account I've applied for to a single rather than a joint. I'm going to sleep on it an make some enquiries in work but at the moment I am leaning towards not going ahead with it :o with discipline I can manage my plan without an extra £125 :)

• lonelyrat
    Options
    129 days

Nothing interesting happened today. Had a terrible, terrible day at work so just feeling quite crummy. Already in bed and I do have a glass of wine which isn't great but I am limiting it to one. Was an NSD as OH bought the wine.

Definitely getting impatient for payday. 6 days. Will only be reducing my debt by about £350 this month which doesn't feel too great but ideally I can save a fair bit of the money I'm taking to Copenhagen. Anything that gets left over from the trip is going straight to the Santander card :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport