PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas 2017 mega index/christmas chat!!!! Yes, it's early I know :)

Options

Comments

• Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Here we are....the start of summer...and I am embroidering a Christmas Angel...have just downloaded a pattern for knitted snowmen decorations....and am designing this years' Christmas cards!!!

A new craft shop has just opened across the way, and I popped by during the week...they had some lovely stuff and I have bought a couple of items as 'extra' gifts ( I have small drawer for little bits and bobs...bookmarks, hand made keyrings...that sort of thing)...I buy throughout the year and make sure I keep a note of what I bought for whom....because I have the world's worst memory!
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd love to make something for people for Xmas - just something small to go with a small gift but I'm not very crafty, I can't knit or cross stitch - I've no idea when it comes to jams or chutneys etc and I'm not very creative!! Was wondering what did everyone 1st begin with when they were handmaking things or what is something for a total beginner?
    Living the simple life
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    Oh Tink!...I'm sure you could manage something crafty!

Cross-stitch embroidery isn't hard...you get fabric with holes in, so all your stitches will automatically come out even sized...all you need to do is find the middle of your fabric and follow a pattern to tell you where to do which colour!(My first cross-stitch was cards and bookmarks)

If you have time and a little patience, knitting is not hard...if you can learn to cast on, knit every stitch of ever row, and cast off you will have learned enough to make a bag! (My first knitting was exactly this!...I learned to cast on and knit and then immediately got used to knitting two strands at the same time which means the bag is prettier and finished in super-quick time!)

Edible gifts are usually welcome...if you have a breadmaker you could do a festive bread as a gift! (Two popular ones I have done are a spiced fig and walnut...and a spiced orange and sultana)......or cookies....or fudge....

If you can paint flowers or similar, you could paint a jam jar and fill it with pens...or buttons....or beads....or sweets

Maybe if you could think of some things you would like to make...or a skill you want to learn, then people can give you some useful tips and links
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you I've been looking at other boards for some inspiration. I have children so would love to get them involved too!
    Living the simple life
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've form for giving mugs full of sweets to almost Everybody in the family, but this year I appear to have re-discovered assorted leftovers and stashes in expectation of, and there is At Last one box that doesn't half clink if nudged. While it'll make the Rudolph Run Loads easier, I foresee agonies of But Which Mug for whom taking up hours...
    Hurrah for your encouragement!
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    Simple crafty ideas for children?.....Let's see.....

If they can handle a needle then cross-stitch is a nice start - they could begin with wool and a wide-count fabric (say a 10 count?)....there are some nice simple bookmark patterns around.

Older children could learn to knit too!....they could bake cookies or bread....

How about salt-dough?....you want flour and salt (twice as much flour as salt) mix to a firm dough with water...knead well.....then use this dough to make shapes....you can roll it out and cut shapes with a cutter...or roll strips and plait them.....let the imagination run wild!.....if you want to make ornaments for hanging, remember to make a hole for thread/ribbon....when your shapes are ready then put them on a tray and bake/dry out in the oven at 180 centigrade (or equivalent)....you want them firm and dry - not browned or blackened!.....let them cool and you can paint them or spray with glitter....one present to make would be a candle holder...make the dough and cut out stars using a cookie cutter (if the children are young, make sure they don't try and eat the dough!!!!!!)....press a candle into the middle of each star to make a candle sized dent (or a hole if liked)....remove the candle...bake/dry the star...cool and paint in green or red ...add glitter if liked....pop the candle back in...stick some holly on if liked.

In Autumn, go pine-cone collecting....two simple things for children....one, hedgehogs for friends....buy some cheap chocolate buttons (the 'jazz' ones with sprinkles are nice, but a mix of choc and white choc will do)....clean a few nice large cones and push choc buttons into them, round and round, simple and popular!.....or for a present for aunties and grannies, make decorations with ribbon, cones, holly and candles - no real skill needed!....cones look good sprayed gold too!

Get the children to make a calendar....use a digital camera for photos, so you can just erase all the 'trial' photos and pick the 12 best ones...you can download calendars to mount the photos....if the children are artistic they could draw instead of taking photos...or do a mixture. (Make the calendars personal....football photos ...including children in the team's colours?....animal photos?....and plenty of time to arrange some summery ones, autumnal ones, winter/Christmas ones)

If you can get some pebbles or large flat stones.....paint them....varnish them...and you have a lovely, individual paperweight!
  • Nodette
    Nodette Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm part-way through knitting a pair of socks for my brother-in-law (his wife hinted that he'd like a pair for Christmas when she saw me knitting some for my DH).

I have . . . um . . . 80 meters of plastic-backed green hessian furnishing fabric :eek:. Must stop looking for bargains on ebay. I don't know WHAT I was thinking!!

Anyway, it seems like it could be a good idea to make gifts from this (for the rest of my life, probably!!) but I can't think of anything. Someone suggested table mats but, to be honest, nobody I know uses such things.

The plastic is very pliable and rubbery (doesn't rustle) and bonded to the back of the fabric. So it makes it waterproof. I washed a bit in the washing machine (cool wash) and even tentatively ironed it afterwards (fabric side, not plastic side!) and it was fine - no colour running or shrinkage, and not much wrinkling either.

So I have a bit of time to get it made into Christmas gifts.

I feel it should be very useful. For someone. Somehow. Maybe. :o
    Save
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How are the Christmas plans going???

Chilli Jam can be made well in advance. I've used this recipe for years (although I remove the peppers, and have changed the ratio of chilli to make it spicier.)

I'm no jam maker like, but it's fairly simple and delicious with cheese! (and sandwiches, pizza, chips, mayo, salad, stir fry etc)

Zip

i can provide hotter quantities if needed! x
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I got grandson no1 who is 3 a Christmas present on the hottest day of the year so far.....A faux fur blanket to go on his bed with penguins on it, he fell in love with one his aunt has when he stayed with her 'cos it's so nice and snuggly Lelly!' bless!
  • tiredwithtwins
    Options
    ive already started planning for xmas 2017 - I have limited funds so forward planning is essential for me.
    I don't have many to buy for, and usually give the 3 teenagers of mine money - might start with gift cards to add to monthly from next weeks payday.

I have started journaling to help with my anxiety issues, so tonight/this weekend will start an xmas section!!
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family