Bereft and Broken

Comments

• ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Dear Smolly, as much as I like you I'm going to give you a virtual telling off ! You are not taking 'only baby steps', not even toddler steps. You are taking the strides of s 5 year old starting school - excited but nervous, looking forward to good days but apprehensive of the Unknown, worried about leaving Mum but wanting their independence. After the first term they aren't so worried. After the first year they have got the confidence to face the next year's class.

Is your Mum able to travel to you ? (Sorry, I can't remember if you've told us this before). Is your OH contributing to food, petrol and Christmas expenses ?

A warning re lists. I started writing mine on my iPhone in the Notes section. I didn't realise how easy they are to delete by mistake......and they can't be recovered from a trash file......
  • Smolly
    Smolly Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi Swash - thank you for calling in! I can relate to feeling depressed/anxious for most of my adult life too. It is scary isn't it what we have to put up with it, but most of us fortunately do come out the other side. The biggie for me is DS - I could have lost him when he was younger so many, many times. I thought I had dealt with all the rubbish life could throw at me when I was suffering from depression and chronic fatigue in my 20's but motherhood is a different kettle of fish. Spending hours in relative's rooms while your baby has yet another life-saving operation really puts things in perspective. So I know that I will get through all this 'carp' that life is throwing at me now. And yes, I totally agree - there is always a way out of the dark days xx

Thistle-down - thank you for stopping by and I'm glad you enjoyed your break away (caught up on your diary!). I have the menopause to look forward to unfortunately. The Dr says I am in the early stages and to be honest I have to agree. At times I suddenly get the overwhelming urge to shout at someone (or punch them if it's the OH :rotfl:) And then it disappears as quickly as it came. Perhaps I should take up karate or something. Oh and the hot flushes have already started - now they're something else. I've never been on Prozac. I was on the same anti-depressant for 10 years that began with an 'S'. I'm not being cryptic here - I just can't remember what it was! But I felt so much better in myself when they finally took me off it. I'm now on Citalopram along with the anxiety tablets. They don't seem to be doing any harm.

Now EM - I do consider myself told off! You make me laugh - I shall carry the thought of being a 5 year old starting school around with me! Thank you for that - I am having a good day but that has topped it. I love it.

Yes Mum is able to travel actually although not always. She shattered her hip last year and now waddles like a penguin bless her (when she is able to waddle - some days are not so good). She can't drive but is willing to get on a train if she can. We don't have any room for her at the moment though - if she does stay, poor DS has to sleep on a lilo in our room while Mum has his room. It's my aim while I am off work (if I can) to clear the 'eBay' room as OH calls it. It's basically a junk filled box room but would accommodate a bed. A baby mural covering one whole wall (when I can find it) does serve as a reminder that it was once indeed used as a bedroom by DS and so can be one for Mother too in the future. She'll probably moan about the size but you know what? Right now I don't care. I really think the increased dose of anxiety pills may be working as I am beginning to enjoy a don't care attitude to some of the more annoying problems of life on a more frequent basis recently.

OH has found himself having to contribute a lot more recently. Pre LBM I regularly whacked stuff on credit cards, including food and petrol. And as such OH was unaware of any financial problem I may have had. Now, although I haven't told him about the debts I am making him aware that my money does not go quite as far as he once thought it did. He seems perplexed bless him by this change in my coffers but puts it down to me not having sold any items on eBay recently. He seems satisfied with his own explanation and has actually opened his wallet a little more than usual!

My lists are all over EM - phone, bits of paper, computer, tablet. In fact I need a list to remind me what lists I'm working from!

No new news to report today other than I have managed a little more eBay listing from the 'eBay' room. In uncovering stuff to sell I have unearthed a hopefully rare book (first edition Agatha Christie 1940)? Although the condition is questionable, I shall have to do a little research to find out what it may be worth. Oh and nearly forgot - a letter came to advise I paid PPI to the tune of just over £300 on my first ever loan back in the early 1990's. No idea if it's too late to try and claim it back but they sent me a claim form so worth a try).

xx
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98, Dec 16 £26,977.66, Jan 17 £26,884.76
    EF #205 £0/£1000
  • JustAboutThere
    JustAboutThere Posts: 523 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 September 2016 at 9:53AM
    Smolly,

You're making great strides - keep going.

I think you should consider changing Dr. surgeries if they're not meeting your needs. I did it a few years ago - the old one's were a bunch of unsympathetic bovines, and that's the Dr's, the Receptionists were a piece of cake compared to the medics. From memory, I filled out one form and all my records were transferred over. The old surgery didn't come after me demanding to know why I'd changed. They're gone - out of my life. The new one's annoyingly dropped from the 4 late nights to 2 a week, but they're not bad and I'm glad I changed.

Perimenopause has a lot to answer for - loss of memory is just one symptom for me, and my memory was never that great to begin with :) Anaemia = lack of energy, but I can't be bothered to take time off work for a blood test to see if I need to go back on the iron tablets. I tend to say that my 'get up and go, got up and left'. I've got great intentions, but most things don't get done as they should. Although, having said that, I've managed to get a few things out of the house this week after looking at them for far too long. Perhaps there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Take care of yourself.
  • ERICS_MUM wrote: »
    Dear Smolly, as much as I like you I'm going to give you a virtual telling off ! You are not taking 'only baby steps', not even toddler steps. You are taking the strides of s 5 year old starting school - excited but nervous, looking forward to good days but apprehensive of the Unknown, worried about leaving Mum but wanting their independence. After the first term they aren't so worried. After the first year they have got the confidence to face the next year's class.

Is your Mum able to travel to you ? (Sorry, I can't remember if you've told us this before). Is your OH contributing to food, petrol and Christmas expenses ?

A warning re lists. I started writing mine on my iPhone in the Notes section. I didn't realise how easy they are to delete by mistake......and they can't be recovered from a trash file......

Hi,
    On my iphone in the notes section there is a Recently deleted tab and that holds all your deleted ones - in the settings of the iphone you can change it to say never delete
  • I'm glad your husband is opening his wallet without complaint, long may it continue!

I make lots of lists and then forget where I put them. I'll find them days later and realise I still haven't done the things on them... :o
    :happylove
  • ERICS_MUM
    Smolly,

You're making great strides - keep going.

I think you should consider changing Dr. surgeries if they're not meeting your needs. I did it a few years ago - the old one's were a bunch of unsympathetic bovines, and that's the Dr's, the Receptionists were a piece of cake compared to the medics. From memory, I filled out one form and all my records were transferred over. The old surgery didn't come after me demanding to know why I'd changed. They're gone - out of my life. The new one's annoyingly dropped from the 4 late nights to 2 a week, but they're not bad and I'm glad I changed.

Perimenopause has a lot to answer for - loss of memory is just one symptom for me, and my memory was never that great to begin with :) Anaemia = lack of energy, but I can't be bothered to take time off work for a blood test to see if I need to go back on the iron tablets. I tend to say that my 'get up and go, got up and left'. I've got great intentions, but most things don't get done as they should. Although, having said that, I've managed to get a few things out of the house this week after looking at them for far too long. Perhaps there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Take care of yourself.

I think most of us on this thread can relate to what you say ! If only we knew it was going to happen ! Perhaps we should publish this and similar threads as a leaflet for women approaching their 40's ! Looking back I can see how I could have prepared myself better for the BIG M. At the time, I thought I was the only one who felt like that !
  • Smolly
    Smolly Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Thank you all who have popped in recently - sorry for my absence. I'm afraid however I am going to have to say hi, bye and run. I have crashed spectacularly after my brilliant day on Monday. No idea how I ended up in this state but I can't face anything at the moment. I will get through it but my head is all over the place at the moment and I feel like I'm suffocating. Take care all - will be back soon xx
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98, Dec 16 £26,977.66, Jan 17 £26,884.76
    EF #205 £0/£1000
  • JustAboutThere
    JustAboutThere Posts: 523 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 September 2016 at 2:41PM
    Look after yourself xx

Please remember, and in the middle of all this overwhelming feeling, I know its difficult to do so - it really is *just* money. If your credit rating has to be trashed, then so be it.

You are far more important.
  • I'm so sorry to hear that, Smolly. It does often happen after the great feeling of taking control dies down, the road ahead can seem so overwhelming that it's easy to have a setback. You have a lot to deal with.

We are rooting for you and always here to listen if you want to talk about anything. xx

:grouphug:
    :happylove
  • ERICS_MUM
    I'm so sorry to hear that, Smolly. It does often happen after the great feeling of taking control dies down, the road ahead can seem so overwhelming that it's easy to have a setback. You have a lot to deal with.

We are rooting for you and always here to listen if you want to talk about anything. xx

:grouphug:

Nicely said, I agree completely.

EM x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills