From Blobby to Gobby

Options
supersaver1000
supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
edited 18 June 2016 at 8:50PM in Debt free diaries
Been off the forums awhile and popped in today to find that everyone is just as enthusiastic and doing lots of interesting and creative things.

Lots of good things have happened and we have also gotten through a few tough emotional times, thank goodness.

Meanwhile I have become a bit blobby - about 2 stone :o - and while we are more comfortable, we are not out of the woods yet and I feel like we need another push. My new job, while I love it in many ways, leaves me feeling pushed about by a very senior colleague and his sideswipe, so I need to get more Gobby and less blobby, starting Monday!

This is my new journey to stop hiding my light under a bushel, stop being pushed around and start speaking before I think instead of continually biting my tongue.

Wish me luck! :D:rotfl::):j:j:beer:

ps and to lose that weight too - meaner (only to those that deserve it) and leaner!

OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
£1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved

Comments

• supersaver1000
    Options
    Just popping in again. Not sure where the time has gone. Still rather blobby, but managed to stay really positive. DH tells me I just take work too seriously and I think he may be right. No one is going to die in my job - unless I do something dangerous with a pencil sharpener :rotfl:

Here goes to another positive week. :T
  • supersaver1000
    Options
    Well, work done, shopping done and a job application is in. Exciting times!
  • supersaver1000
    Options
    Oh my goodness. 4 months later and still blobby. But am feeling braver. And I am developing more of a 'life isn't a rehearsal' attitude.

Just popped into INODs thread and Greyings new one. They are both determined and resilient people, living life as they want to. Good role models.

X
  • supersaver1000
    Options
    My Four monthly check in and I am feeling a little less blobby and a bit fitter. Managing to get out and about a bit more rather than sitting at my desk all day and on the sofa/desk all night.

Things are uncertain with work, but I'm trying to maintain a sense of calm as things always seem to work out okay. I've got some things in reserve and am in a much better place.

Recently resorted to take aways and ill thought out shopping, but I am trying to get back on track again. We've had lovely healthy home cooked food for the past two weeks - and its so much cheaper (I don't need to tell you all that).

Trying to keep positive thinking and take things in my stride. Enjoying the moment and enjoying life, not worrying about change but making the most of life. Fitting things in is always a problem - I really enjoy relaxing when i'm home from work, so its a problem to get motivated for homework. My next challenge is to build some homework slots into my calendar - an hour or so here and there - rather than putting it all off until the last minute.
  • supersaver1000
    Options
    Popped onto MSE to have a look at opinions on car break down cover and found myself looking through the DFW threads. I can't believe where the time has gone and how my debt has gone down then gone up a little bit again. Need to get a grip of that.

Sadly I am still Mrs Blobby, but I'm working on that too. I tried to squeeze into my old clothes - telling myself that not buying more would make me slim down. Obviously didn't work, so I had a little splurge on some Size 16s and feel so much more comfortable. I have a sewing machine in the cupboard so [STRIKE]if I lose a bit of weight[/STRIKE] when I lose a bit of weight I can make some minor adjustments. I've also bought quite a few CS bits but have had to stop - I've a wardrobe full of stuff I don't wear and a huge box full of stuff I can't get into.

I joined the gym last year, but unjoined this month as I ended up not going so I've started running instead. Seemed much cheaper just to go running but there seems to be a never ending list of things to get and then my trainers will probably need replacing soon. But I'm starting to get into it now and its great just to put your gear on and go for a run.

Popped into Grey Pilgrim's thread and got some great inspiration for cooking again, nice to see that everyone is still going strong. And good to feel in a happier place than when I first started posting here.

Happy Sunday everyone and happy saving.:)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    And good to feel in a happier place than when I first started posting here.

Happy Sunday everyone and happy saving.:)

:wave: to supersaver - lovely to see you posting :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,273 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope all goes well for you.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • supersaver1000
    Options
    Thank you so much for popping in Beanie Lou and Greying. I've neglected MSE for a bit longer than I should have and had a LBM the other day when the Sainsbugs credit card I got to use for nect@r points (and intended to pay the balance off of each month), has a balance of £2493.15 :eek:

I've tried so hard to restrict spends but the grip I had on finances has been really elusive. We are in a much better place, with Mr SS managing his money now (rather than spending willy nilly). So I'm really disappointed that I got myself into this predicament. Just took my eye off the ball, a wake up call though.

Mr SS has a small loan for his business - I'm not going to include that as he manages that really well all by himself and it will be paid off by next year. He did have a small business dry spell and wanted to extend the loan/borrow a bit more to get through it. He was really proud that he had organised it all by himself, until I pointed out that the Haliblax would also triple his interest rate for the whole loan (compared to the 3.8% I found for him when he started it) and with extending it he would have ended up paying back almost £1000 extra in interest. Luckily he talked to me before he signed anything (another good step) and listened. In the end we 'loaned' the business £1000 from our personal buffer savings and it got him over the work dry spell. A bit of a LBM for Mr SS – there’s still a bit of work to be done on him but he’s getting there).

I’ve taken on what I call the car loan, its made up of the balloon payment for the car and a bit from the ccs we had (£6149.66) but as Mr SS looks after his work vehicle, we've said the car is mine, which feels good. The loan is in my name and now so is the car - had to because when DD passed her test we needed it in my name to put her on the insurance we chose. She paid the extra to add her on the insurance and I've been walking and cycling more as I live so close to work (good free exercise too). I've trained DD well, we are both horrified at the cost to run a third car when its not needed and she is saving to buy a property in the future and its a way I can support her in that. I'm not going to think about paying this loan off early at the moment as its pretty good interest (4.2%) and feels more like a justified expense as much as anything - and the loan is around the cars bottom value so I could sell it and pay the loan off if we needed to.

So the figure we have left on the joint credit card is £5718. Not great that we haven’t managed to pay it off yet, but at its worst it was £24,750!!! We’ve come a very long way. Yay to us (gives self small pat on back).

Sainsbugs: £2493.15 on 0% to April 2019
    Barcscard: £5718.38 on 0% to November 2018

My plan was to pay off Sainsbugs first, but looking at it written down, it makes more sense to pay that amount off the Barcscard by November. Taking off the monthly payments we make and that could leave a balance of around £2000 on the Barcscard. We could probably afford to pay that off with our savings by then. That would leave us another 5 months from December to April to pay off the Sainsbugs account – it would avoid another balance transfer (and fee) and leave us debt-free by April 2019. That would be amazing. Right, off to add these targets to my spreadsheet plan - it will be a stretch, but feels so good to have a target. I've missed you MSE.
  • supersaver1000
    Options
    So payday has been and gone and the year has got off to a really good start :p

Total Credit Card Debt in January was £8211.53

Now, after payments, it is £7383.15

A massive 10% :beer::j:beer:
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    That's pretty amazing! Well done :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family