We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Organic Caterpillar Killer that Actually Works

Options
Just to let you all know, there is now a way of getting the XenTari bacteria based caterpillar killer for domestic growers - up until now this has only been available to commercial growers (and used to great effect!!). If you order it from this german website you can get it delivered to the UK.

This stuff is amazing and is an organic caterpillar killer which actually works!! :T

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 March 2018 at 7:52PM
    Options
    Does it work for other forms of caterpillar?

(ps also from Amazon.)
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Justagardener
    Options
    Using this same bacillius organism against fungus gnats...Im afraid im not impressed so far. I like the idea but as with all biological controls it is a long process.
  • elaineruk
    elaineruk Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes - it does work against most caterpillars - commercial growers use it for food crops. By the way there is a 10% discount code which works here https://topbuxus.com/en/2-topbuxus-shop?ref=49064e6cc44f0ee3c4994b7ae2ac57ec on all their products just use code SP3UWWWD when checking out so I think you'll find it's cheaper than Amazon.
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cheapest & most environmental friendly method is to pick the caterpillars off by hand & drown them - in fact that is the free way to deal with them but you have to be vigilant and keep a check on the plants.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Much of the early research on B.t. toxin was done by an ex-colleague of mine, sadly died young. RIP Barbara, lovely lady, quiet, unassuming, and very kind.

Odd how memories are stirred. She really was a nice person. No better word.
  • Justagardener
    Options
    Much of the early research on B.t. toxin was done by an ex-colleague of mine, sadly died young. RIP Barbara, lovely lady, quiet, unassuming, and very kind.!

Odd how memories are stirred. She really was a nice person. No better word.

Shame and obviously a clever lady too....she would have been interested to have seen the research development :A
  • seanoctagan
    Options
    @DaftyDuck She must have been a very special person to be involved in developing this bacterial control. Thankfully we can now get it in the UK and it's not just being used by commercial growers - I've just ordered some XenTari from the website mentioned above.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure