Topcashback Questions & Answers

Comments

• onesixfive
    onesixfive Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 March 2018 at 4:08PM
    Hey everyone,

@onesixfive - As in the message, I can see that it says our management team are aware of this we are unable to escalate this further. Hopefully, our team will manage to obtain a final resolution for you soon.

Best wishes,
    Matt

Well Matt, Your reply from yesterday, completely contradicts TCB's reply to me which reads:
    "I can understand your frustration in this matter, but as previously stated this is being looked into by our senior management team. Please may we ask for your further patience in this matter while we try to gain a resolution for your claim, Once we have any further updates, we will be in touch.Thanks, Josh

With over 200 pages in this forum, a lot of which appear to be complaints & delays, I suggest you turn your concentration to DEALING with the matters in hand rather than FOBBING OFF customers, month after month
    I've already contacted Ancestry & they deny all knowledge of this claim. So, If YOU are unable to escalate this further - then WHO is ?
  • B_M
    B_M Posts: 714 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    onesixfive wrote: »
    I've already contacted Ancestry & they deny all knowledge of this claim. So, If YOU are unable to escalate this further - then WHO is ?

Ancestry.co.uk staff may well know nothing about their affiliate marketing as it's managed by CJ Affiliate - http://www.cj.com/
    (previously CJ Junction).
    This is the same affiliate network that's manages Owners Direct and many other merchants that don't pay up, or decline.
    It's a major affiliate network, so what do you think the chances are of TCB upsetting the apple-cart?
    Spot on, no chance.

For the record, Ancestry.co.uk can be had and with a cashback guarantee from Imutual.co.uk. I'm not too sure how the rates compared when you places your order, but worth considering this site for future purchases.
    eg - http://www.imutual.co.uk/ancestry
    (see the white tick in the yellow circle?) - that means the casback is guaranteed. Not all merchants carry this tag, but many, many do. Sometimes the rates are very, very similar and even higher.
    http://www.imutual.co.uk/help/4/1561

I see from your above post, that you too have the TCB 'senior management team' on your case.
    Oh dear! But, good luck.
    No payments from financial products from cash back sites? Put in a complaint direct and if they don't resolve your issue, head straight to the financial ombudsman - it costs the company £550 in referral fees, win or lose.
  • dogfonos
    dogfonos Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    A question about reviews of product and service companies posted by individuals on the TopCashBack website...

Does TCB verify the identity of individuals who've given this feedback? After all, these folks, often feeding back their glowing cashback experiences, have allegedly received cashback through TCB so it's do-able.
  • onesixfive
    onesixfive Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    dogfonos wrote: »
    A question about reviews of product and service companies posted by individuals on the TopCashBack website...

Does TCB verify the identity of individuals who've given this feedback? After all, these folks, often feeding back their glowing cashback experiences, have allegedly received cashback through TCB so it's do-able.

To be fair - Ancestry is the only company I've had a problem with the cashback. As I said, I've had plenty of other payments (utilities, travel, shopping, holidays...years ago I even had payment from Ancestry!) using TCB, it's just this one.
  • dogfonos
    onesixfive wrote: »
    To be fair - Ancestry is the only company I've had a problem with the cashback. As I said, I've had plenty of other payments (utilities, travel, shopping, holidays...years ago I even had payment from Ancestry!) using TCB, it's just this one.

I consider you fortunate. I have been refused CB many times over the past decade, despite TCB chasing things up for me - which I appreciate.

I also understand that I'm not the most computer literate person so there's a possibility I'm doing something wrong (or have over-protective privacy/security software) when I try to secure CB. Even so, I follow TCB's recommendations/instructions and just about every TCB transaction I make informs me, at the time, that my visit to the sellers site has been linked/registered (or whatever the word is) and CB is still not forthcoming in too many cases.

One thing, previously stated in this thread, surprises me: TCB make it quite clear that CB isn't guaranteed so I didn't realise the financial ombudsman would ever get involved in any cases.
  • TopCashBack_Company_Representative
    TopCashBack_Company_Representative Posts: 2,184 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone,

@onesixfive – With millions of members registered, I would expect a small margin to require assistance with their account. I wouldn’t say 4118 posts is a large proportion, especially as a lot of these are from returning members rather than unique members having a query.

I’m not going to pretend the whole commission process is perfect as nothing can ever be perfect but that doesn’t mean we are not doing what we can within our remit as a cashback site to support you with a claim.

@dogfonos – Should a concern be raised to us about a particular review we can, of course, review that and remove it if it's found not to reflect their actual experience.

I understand that when an individual or small people have a negative experience they may believe the retailer just has no intention to pay.

However, merchants like that are not welcome on our site. They damage our reputation and frustrate out members.

On the other hand, if there’s no proper evidence that we were the reason you made a purchase we are not going to be paid. It would be wrong of us to expect payment for cases like that.

We do share as many tips as we can to prevent this from happening; clearing cookies being a common one. The tips we provide isn't an endless list as we are unable to work on your actual computer and see what could be causing either the connection between our site and your purchase to be broken or what is getting in the way of our own cookies.

Best wishes,
    Matt
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of TopCashBack. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • B_M
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I consider you fortunate. I have been refused CB many times over the past decade, despite TCB chasing things up for me - which I appreciate.

One thing, previously stated in this thread, surprises me: TCB make it quite clear that CB isn't guaranteed so I didn't realise the financial ombudsman would ever get involved in any cases.

I would agree, very fortunate and not my experience.
    My declines to date status:
    Declined
    £489.64

Not long now until it reaches and passes £500 and I'll have a wee dram to celebrate!

Regarding the Financial Ombudsman (FOS), TCB have known for many, many years of that route, but fail to advise members. Myself and many members have had great 'victories' and claimed many hundreds of pound of promoted cashback, which may have been lost if taking TCB's advise.
    The FCA status makes it easy to get your cashback (and added compensation) direct from the merchants. It's all about Principal v Appointed Representative (Quidco's status is different and you would make a complaint direct to Quidco and then to the FOS if not resolved).

https://register.fca.org.uk/ShPo_firmdetailsPage?id=001b000000MgCI0AAN

TCB would rather you just lost your cashback, than to inform you to chase up with the merchant direct. Recently, Barclay's severed relationship with TCB after a complaint (from Barclay's themselves). A reason for TCB not wanting you to make a direct complaint.
    It's not just the financials though, anything that has a regulatory body has a route to gain any declined or delayed cashback (mobiles, utilities etc). Again, TCB would deliberately avoid telling you this.
    Cashback can never ever be guaranteed, but for other reasons (returns, the use of codes etc). So, that is true to a degree.
    Telling members nothing further can be done, is wrong, when clearly there is an option.
    One day, we may see some of the ethics portrayed within the TCB 'mission statement'.

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/about?cat=Mission

Until then, get your cashback yourself, when necessary.
    No payments from financial products from cash back sites? Put in a complaint direct and if they don't resolve your issue, head straight to the financial ombudsman - it costs the company £550 in referral fees, win or lose.
  • dogfonos
    @dogfonos – Should a concern be raised to us about a particular review we can, of course, review that and remove it if it's found not to reflect their actual experience.

Understood. Probably just my suspicious mind when I see glowing reviews for a company that I (and TCB) have repeated difficulty getting cashback from.

Is there any way that people could register with TCB and post a review of a product seller or service provider without actually making a purchase?

"My declines to date status:
    Quote:
    Declined
    £489.64
    Not long now until it reaches and passes £500 and I'll have a wee dram to celebrate!"

Ouch! I shouldn't whinge, my declines are nowhere near that level.

Incidentally, when TCB struggled to secure full CB from an insurance company (who I'd had CB from before), I contacted the company directly and they sorted it out with their affiliate but usually in the case of refused CB, the amounts are so small that I just let it go.
  • B_M
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Ouch! I shouldn't whinge, my declines are nowhere near that level.

Not as bad as it looks on paper to be honest.
    Not all declines are 'dodgy' ones, some are genuine (returns, cancelled, codes etc).
    I've earned many, many times more and recovered hundreds of pounds myself.
    It's the amount that's lost by telling members 'there's nothing further we can do' that pees me off. It's downright dishonest and obviously wrong. Posts on here are testament to that. ;-)
  • TopCashBack_Company_Representative
    TopCashBack_Company_Representative Posts: 2,184 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hey everyone,

@dogfonos – That is certainly a suggestion I can put forward for you :)

I hope you have a great weekend.

Best wishes,
    Matt
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of TopCashBack. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback