Basic Bank Accounts

Hi all,

I'm in the process of applying for Bankruptcy, as in I will be submitting my application tomorrow morning :eek:

My question is regarding bank accounts; I opened two basic accounts last July ready for this process, one with TSB and one with HSBC, I've been using the HSBC one as my main account and about 3 weeks ago I found out from HSBC that my account will be closed once I apply bankrupt, apparently it's their policy, even though I explained I was advised by HSBC when opening the account I would be fine as the account is a basic one and not related to any of my creditors. This latest information was given to me by their Insolvency department.

Now in light of the above information, I spoke to TSB and asked them the same question, as to which I was told my account would remain untouched, not even froze during the process, therefore I started trying to move everything over from HSBC to TSB, until I hit a snag this morning. During a call with TSB customer services I was told there was a problem with my account, which after about an hour of speaking to several departments apparently my account was open fraudulently :shocked:
TSB cannot explain how or why it was opened fraudulently all I could get out of them was that they had to close the account down and that was it, which I then lodged a complaint against them, not that it helps me at this time.

Now I need advice on who I can open an account with, I simply just want a basic account who would accept me and one that gives me a debit card, anyone know or can recommend anyone?

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Hi, you can open a basic account with nationwide online, the account is great, you get a contactless card and can use online/ mobile banking if you want. Make sure you tick the box to say you are in financial difficulty so they dont try and open you a standard current account.

Hopefully tsb have not registered a cifas marker, if they have it will cause huge problems, even more problems than the bankruptcy! At least bankrupts can get basic accounts these days, cifas marker will stop any sort of account!

Good luck with everything

H x
  • Thanks for your response!

I've literally just opened a FlexBasic account with Nationwide online, just got to wait for that to be completely set up, I did select the option that I'm going through Bankruptcy as well.

I'm really unsure what TSB have done, I've never used the account, only registered the online banking app couple of days ago, I'm a bit worried that this will cause me issues as I really have not done anything wrong or need this right now! I can only assume it's not a CIFAS marker as Nationwide wouldn't let me open an account with them unless it's a provisional acceptance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure