IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

They've lost my driving licence!!

Hi Guys

I got a FPN for speeding and duly paid my fine and sent my licence to the FPO and requested. This was over 6 months ago!!! The licence is meant to be posted back within 4 weeks.

I rang them up this morning and they stated they sent the licence back on 30th May via Royal Mail (no recorded delivery), and that it looks like it has been lost in the post. I always thought that it was the sender's responsibility to be applying for compensation from Royal Mail but hey have stated once it has left the building it is RM's responsibility and I must contact them for compensation.

I have no proof of delivery so am unsure how I am meant to go about this.

Are they right? Is there anything in law anyone can advise me if it is in fact the FPO's responsibility to get me compensation?

I am certainly not prepared to be shelling out again for a new licence after paying the fine and taking 3 points. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi Guys

I got a FPN for speeding and duly paid my fine and sent my licence to the FPO and requested. This was over 6 months ago!!! The licence is meant to be posted back within 4 weeks.

I rang them up this morning and they stated they sent the licence back on 30th May via Royal Mail (no recorded delivery), and that it looks like it has been lost in the post. I always thought that it was the sender's responsibility to be applying for compensation from Royal Mail but hey have stated once it has left the building it is RM's responsibility and I must contact them for compensation.

I have no proof of delivery so am unsure how I am meant to go about this.

Are they right? Is there anything in law anyone can advise me if it is in fact the FPO's responsibility to get me compensation?

I am certainly not prepared to be shelling out again for a new licence after paying the fine and taking 3 points. Any advice greatly appreciated!

You should know by now that when the authorities are involved
    it's a "JOBS WORTH" attitude.

Just apply for a new licence from the DVLA with the story
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Things go lost. If you have anything of value, just pay a quid extra to have recorded delivery...
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    Things go lost. If you have anything of value, just pay a quid extra to have recorded delivery...

It was them that didn't send it recorded, not the OP
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • When I had my licence stolen I just got a replacement from the DVLA, if there was a charge it wasn't enough for me to remember it now.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I believe that's wrong, and is an example of how phone calls are NOT the way to resolve issues.

Write to this team and complain and ask for a free replacement at the very least:

Drivers Customer Services
    Correspondence Team
    DVLA
    Swansea
    SA6 7JL

https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla/y/driving-licences-and-applications
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coupon-mad wrote: »
    I believe that's wrong, and is an example of how phone calls are NOT the way to resolve issues.

It is wrong - only the sender of a letter/parcel can claim compensation from Royal Mail.

For 1st or 2nd Class post, the maximum compensation is £20 which is the same as a replacement licence.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    andytaylor wrote: »
    It is wrong - only the sender of a letter/parcel can claim compensation from Royal Mail.

Sorry, but you too are mistaken.

Either the sender or the intended recipient can claim for missing post.

From Royal Mail's retail compensation policy for lost items:
    The sender or the recipient of the item may both claim for a lost item but only one will be paid compensation.

Of course the sender is still responsible for the package until their agent, Royal Mail, delivers the thing to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure