Marriage Allowance

Comments

• dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    badmemory wrote: »
    The problem with advertising campaigns is that the newspapers KEEP printing the wrong information. Last nights BBC original story was completely wrong.

What percentage of the country is actually able to access their personal tax account? Or even for that matter google! Also it is all very well saying things are going to have to change, but if you don't tell anybody that then how do they know. Well until they get the penalty charges anyway.

I also wonder if even as many as 20% of the population knows that there is such a thing as a personal tax account.

Every person of working age + has a personal tax account, currently around 14.5 million have activated their account.

The Marriage allowance has been promoted by HMRC on TV and Radio, all the info needed is on the website including the ability to make the claim, it's been reported on by the Times, the Mail, The Guardian, The BBC, The Sun, MSE, The Money Box, Rip Off Britain (show dealing with tax refund companies), ITV news, Sky news. It was in the budget 2013 so would have been in every newspapaer for several days after.

Tax is, and always has been, the responsibility of the individual.

Most people are intelligent beings and in the modern world the majority of people can use the internet. In 10 years time the number of people who cannot use the internet will be a very small minority.

It's not HMRC's job to hold everyone's hand and guide them to every bit of guidance on the website etc.

People need to start taking responsibility for themselves.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 September 2017 at 8:02PM
    dori2o wrote: »
    Every person of working age + has a personal tax account, currently around 14.5 million have activated their account..

No they don't. Many of the self-employed only have access to an HMRC business tax account. When they attempt to log in directly, or from their business tax account, to their personal tax account they pass through another security check and are then routed to their business tax account. The two are different.
    The Marriage allowance has been promoted by HMRC on TV and Radio, all the info needed is on the website including the ability to make the claim, it's been reported on by the Times, the Mail, The Guardian, The BBC, The Sun, MSE, The Money Box, Rip Off Britain (show dealing with tax refund companies), ITV news, Sky news. It was in the budget 2013 so would have been in every newspapaer for several days after.

Virtually all coverage is derived from one source - HMRC documentation. As this has been, and still is, significantly flawed, the public has virtually no access to the true facts
    Most people are intelligent beings and in the modern world the majority of people can use the internet. In 10 years time the number of people who cannot use the internet will be a very small minority.

What evidence could you possibly have for these statements?
    It's not HMRC's job to hold everyone's hand and guide them to every bit of guidance on the website etc

"We’ll help you understand what you have to do and when you have to do it." - HMRC Charter

EDIT: I agree with your other two statements.
  • Hello people just looking for some information we made our application for the tax allowance earlier in the year and they have agreed that we are entitled to it and have confirmed it will be backdated to 2015. The amendment to my tax allowance has been done but we have had no information or seen any payment for the backdated allowance that they stated would be paid by cheque within a few weeks. Has anyone had a similar issue or has any idea how long this process takes to complete. Any information would be helpful thanks
  • Hakneyed
    Hakneyed Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 1 October 2017 at 2:38AM
    Hi All

I applied for the Marriage tax allowance. My salary is 43k. I have realised that a likely ( very likely but not certain) bonus of 3 - 5k will push me over the 45k.

In these circumstances will HMRC claw the entire £1,150 allowance back. Will the govt just take back the 20% tax, around £200 from next years tax allowance?

Or is there a slim hope that i am still entitled to some of the tax break from my non working wife?

I feel i already know the answer but thought it worth checking.

Thanks
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Hakneyed wrote: »
    Hi All

I applied for the Marriage tax allowance. My salary is 43k. I have realised that a likely ( very likely but not certain) bonus of 3 - 5k will push me over the 45k.

In these circumstances will HMRC claw the entire £1,150 allowance back. Will the govt just take back the 20% tax, around £200 from next years tax allowance?

Or is there a slim hope that i am still entitled to some of the tax break from my non working wife?

Thanks

it is an all or nothing transfer.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 October 2017 at 3:49PM
    Hakneyed wrote: »
    Hi All

Thanks

The above doesn't make sense. If you've applied for MAT then you intend that you will transfer part of your personal allowance TO your wife. Really?

Whichever of you two has applied will have had to confirm that the recipient's income was less than £43,000 for 2016/17, or will be less than £43,000 or £45,000, as applicable, for 2017/18. If the latter, the application has been a bit premature?

There's no point in making an application for MAT during the relevant tax year. No benefit will be realised until after the end of that tax year and, in the meantime the applicant may have made a false declaration - as maybe the case here.

You really need to get your facts together and call HMRC.

p.s. I'm just quoting "less than" from form SA100. I believe that the true meaning of the legislation is "no more than"
  • Well if the op is on PAYE they will be getting the benefit during the course of the year through a higher tax code.

It seems likely they will have to repay it as a later point although I don't believe either the 43k or 45k figures really matters but more whether they have to pay any higher rate tax or not. Probably will do but with pension or gift aid payments they might not do, particularly if income is borderline in first place.

In this situation, where the actual facts will only be known after the tax year ends, usually means any tax which needs to be repaid will normally be collected through a reduced tax code for 2019:20 tax year, not the 2018:19 year.
  • Hello!

Hope I'm posting this in the right place! I applied for marriage allowance at the beginning of this year when I was working part time and my husband full time, so he was the taxpayer. Our circumstances have now changed, he is no longer working (he receives ESA) and I'm working full time, paying tax and soon to go on maternity leave. How do I switch it over? Is it best to cancel and make a new claim?

Thank you!
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mrsmunro26 wrote: »
    Hello!

Hope I'm posting this in the right place! I applied for marriage allowance at the beginning of this year when I was working part time and my husband full time, so he was the taxpayer. Our circumstances have now changed, he is no longer working (he receives ESA) and I'm working full time, paying tax and soon to go on maternity leave. How do I switch it over? Is it best to cancel and make a new claim?

Thank you!
    As you are currently the donor, you can cancel the current transfer of allowance at any time. Your husband will then need to claim to transfer part of his allowance to you.

You can cancel online but I'm not sure whether the change will apply before the start of the next tax year. Best talk to HMRC first.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    3. If your circumstances change

You or your partner can cancel Marriage Allowance online. You’ll be asked to prove your identity using information HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) holds about you.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance/if-your-circumstances-change
    The date the allowance ends depends on who cancels it.

If you stop transferring the allowance to your partner, it will run until the end of the tax year (5 April).

If your partner asks to stop receiving your allowance, HMRC will backdate the change to the start of the tax year you first started transferring it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback