Cheap Pay-as-you-go Deals Article Discussion

Comments

• Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ian011 wrote: »
    It would be useful to explain that inclusive calls cover....- mobile numbers starting 071-075 & 077-079, except numbers allocated in CI & IoM.
    Surely it depends on the location of the mobile when you call it, not on its origin? Or are you saying that calling a Manx no. whilst the owner is visiting the UK will be charged outside of your allowance?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Surely it depends on the location of the mobile when you call it, not on its origin? Or are you saying that calling a Manx no. whilst the owner is visiting the UK will be charged outside of your allowance?

The call is always charged by the number's origin and not where it is. How would a caller know that a phone is in a specific country or not?

If you are in the UK and call a Manx number it will always be outside your UK calls allowance, whether the Manx phone is on the Isle of Man, in the UK or in Australia.
    ====
  • blizeH
    blizeH Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I was just considering switching from Giffagaff to Three for the cheap data, but now I've seen 1pMobile that's really tempting too.

How can they charge just 1p per minute for calls, texts and data, and also have 1p roaming in 48 countries too? They must be operating at a huge loss?

Edit: Ah! You have to top up £5 a month. Three it is then.
  • SpanishBlue
    SpanishBlue Posts: 593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    blizeH wrote: »
    I was just considering switching from Giffagaff to Three for the cheap data, but now I've seen 1pMobile that's really tempting too.

How can they charge just 1p per minute for calls, texts and data, and also have 1p roaming in 48 countries too? They must be operating at a huge loss?

Edit: Ah! You have to top up £5 a month. Three it is then.

It's £10 every 4 months.
  • ask66
    ask66 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just received a text from O2 - new 'Classic PAYG' rates from 18th January 2018: Calls 3p/min, Texts 2p, Data 1p/MB. Looks a good deal for those not wanting to tie into a contract or PAYG bundle. It doesn't seem to be mentioned elsewhere on this site - or on the O2 site!
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    ask66 wrote: »
    Just received a text from O2 - new 'Classic PAYG' rates from 18th January 2018: Calls 3p/min, Texts 2p, Data 1p/MB. Looks a good deal for those not wanting to tie into a contract or PAYG bundle. It doesn't seem to be mentioned elsewhere on this site - or on the O2 site!

Apart from here!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5774210
  • ask66
    ask66 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mister_G wrote: »

Well spotted Mister G, guess I need to improve my forum searching skills...
  • Just got a good deal on Virgin through their Virgin Red App Sim only 12 months £4 per month 1000mins, unlimited texts, 1Gb data on 4G
  • smipx013
    smipx013 Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    so.... my take on o2 classic 3.2.1 PAYG

I joined the o2 321 classic PAYG service recently to try and save some pennies. I am a technical engineer and so made sure to check the charges for the first week or so. I went on to test the data bit which is meant to be 1p minimum. Before I tested I was sure to disable all services that could use data on my phone before turning data on. I also turned on data saver and blocked everything apart from my email client. While still on WiFi I made sure to do a full sync on the mail client to be sure it would not use much data.

I then enabled the data and 1 x 5Kb email. Then I turned the data off.

I was charged 20p. Now i know that smartphones can use other data in the background (even with data saver on) and for this reason I was extremely careful to make sure no other services or processes were using any data. I am 100% convinced that they charged me 20p for (perhaps) 20-30Kb of total data transfer - not 1p!!! Even if I had used 15Mb it should have ony been 15p but it was a magical and nicely rounded 20p exactly. In the T&C's it mentions that it is billed every 20p but it also states that the minimum is 1p.

I feel completely ripped off. If I want to do a quick check for traffic on google maps or send a quick email and then disable the data it is going to cost me 20p every time. So for me it is in fact 20p/Mb or part thereof for their brilliant deal.

I called o2 and they just told me I "MUST" have used 20Mb. What complete an utter rubbish. she then promised to call me back as the data charge was not yet showing on my account but no-one ever bothered to call me back.

This is on top of a TXT message I was charged something like 25p for (apparently I sent an international TXT message on the day I inserted the SIM card). I did no such thing and have never ever sent an international txt message in my life - but they were adamant that I did. I did not and asked them to pull the number it was sent to and they refused to do for for "data protection" reasons. I then told them that if I had actually sent the txt as they were insisting then I would know the number i sent it to so it would not be a problem for them to confirm the number - no data protection issues. they still refused.

All in all - I am seriously miffed with o2. I feel they are liars and misleading in their pricing and the customer service - don't get me going on that. I have spent over 4 hours on the phone/chat trying to get these two issues explained and/or resolved. No-one at o2 seems to care or even properly understand their charging structure.

But it is no way 3.2.1 if you - like me turn on your data - do a little bit of data - turn off your data. it is 3.2.20 with the occasional 25 international txt thrown in for good measure.

Sorry to rant but I am writing this at the same time as I am on yet another chat with o2 complaining that I never got my promised call back about the 20p data charge. I am getting no-where fast and getting more and more frustrated as the minutes pass :-)

Cheers,
    Paul
  • How much data does your phone say you have used?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback