How to deal with a bullying colleague?

Comments

• Arthog
    Arthog Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Today is the end of the week, so decide now that this situation has ended. If you change, she will have to!
    You have some great ideas on here, and here are a few more.

This weekend, talk to anyone you know who can advise you, give you ideas, boost you, and if possible help you to laugh about that dreadful woman you have to work with.
    At work, as has been suggested, can you move your desk so you are not facing her? Make an area of the office into your space, for better light perhaps? If wiring is an issue, just move your desk so you are at right angles to her.
    Spend some of your breaks with other staff, and you'll find that they know what she is like, and they'll talk about how other staff deal with her. If you do eat at your desk, switch off your Emails.
    Walk tall and confident like you used to until you worked with her!
    She is doing so much wrong, and the management should have dealt with her long ago!!
    You are genuinely confused about her giving you tasks to do when she isn't your line manager, even though you don't mind. Can you clarify this with your line manager, and share her awful emails with them? Maybe ask her to copy in your line manager so you are clear about priorities!
    When I was working with a bully at work, I began to think of my clothes as my suit of armour, so what she said just pinged off and didn't get through to me! That really helped.

Go in on Monday with a bright Good Morning and a big smile!
    All the best. Hope to read soon that things are much better.
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Have you tried to kill her with kindness? It might be worth trying it often works in these situations as it takes the steam away. Be chirpy and happy every day with her, say hello, ask how she is, even if she doesn't answer.

She wants to be powerful, she's chosen bullying as the way to be it. Take that opportunity away by being seemingly oblivious to her antics. If she's a horror she may well continue to be but she will be aware you are so happy and nice that it has no affect.

With the work take the same approach be lovely but so sorry you can't do X y z for her.
  • Kay Serrar Serrar

Whatever will be will be...

r_146.gif
  • Kay Serrar Serrar

Whatever will be will be...

r_146.gif

Haha I'm going to be singing that the whole way home...out of there for the weekend in ONE minute!! :rotfl:

I'll read everyone's kind messages on the train home.
    "I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together." Marilyn Monroe
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I expect she's writing the emails because it makes her look good, that she's sending lots of emails [very important tool for making it look like you were doing lots of work in my old company, no idea why, it jut means to me you're faffing around at a desk insted of doing what you're supposed to be doing], and shes making a record of things she's asked you to do.

Excelllent advice from TBagpuss up there, I'll be noting all that myself.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dirty_magic
    dirty_magic Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I agree that you need to find the courage to stand up for yourself somehow. In my experience, office bullies tend to pick on the ones who don't answer back. It becomes a cycle; they push further and further because they know the person won't defend themselves. With every bit further they push, and each time the person doesn't retaliate, they lose a little bit more respect for the person.

You need to stand up for yourself, force her to respect you. Don't answer your emails on your lunch break, and if she asks you to do it tell her that you're on lunch and will deal with it after. Be polite and civil when she speaks to you, but if she speaks to you in a way you don't like you have to tell her!
  • Yep there is always one in an office situation

Show no weakness. Say good morning goodbye in an upbeat voice and act as if you could not give a **** whether she speaks to you or not.

If she does speak to you rudely I would laugh and say Gosh I haven't been spoken to like that since I was a small child. I had a really horrible bully of a teacher ............ elaborate on what a witch this teacher was. She will probably glare at you whilst you are telling this story. :rotfl:
    She will soon get the message

As for the emails if you don't think the work is for you to do bounce the bl***y things back to her with a short reason why.

I have been surrounded by bullies for the last 15 years who due to their job they do think they are 'Gods'

As a collegue said to me imagine them with their pants around their ankles Sh***** like the rest of us

She only has power if you let her
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I worked with someone like this, although it took a work crisis to suss her out, I discovered why she was like that: she felt inadequate because she was out of her depth and took it out on me. I'll explain:

I had just finished a 13 month course at a disability college, passed it 2 months early, went for a job in work I had never done before and got it. As a result, I was feeling very good about myself, which was the complete opposite to the preceding couple of years. I had always worked in engineering jobs: I was a Motor Engineer and a workshop foreman, until an accident and spinal injuries from a previous job years before, almost paralysed me. This put me out of work and into disability and I went into the above course to change careers. I had loved my previous work and was very down when I could no longer do it.

The new post was within a local government HQ and I was employed to carry out Land and border searches. The simplified example being: if someone wants to buy a piece of unallocated land, say a common, they employ a solicitor to apply to the County Council. It is demanding work which can carry expensive penalties for mistakes. The woman I refer to, made such a mistake, costing over £500,000 and attempted to blame me. When the blunder came to light, I was put in front of a Tribunal, but had been forewarned by one of the many other people that she had angered or upset. I checked my times and dates: all recorded by Pay Staff on computer and available on request. I had my records and I produced them, to prove that I was off work and ill for a week when the mistake was made. I also proved that my signature had been forged on the documentation, such an obvious forgery.

Faced with all that, she had no choice but to admit that she had made the error. She then compounded her stupidity by screaming abuse at myself and the Tribunal members and was sacked on the spot.

I also suffered the Silent Treatment from this woman. She could not use a computer and could not admit that, so delegated all that to me. I got a little trite revenge by coming in an hour early and putting in a password every morning. When she tried to use it, she got angry "What have you done to this computer?" I just got up and she moved away, I inputted the password and asked her in a puzzled manner, "What's the problem?" Childish I know, but I enjoyed it. What made it so much worse, was that she was over 20 years my junior. She would leave little notes which read like something a schoolmistress would write: "- (my name) - 'See Me' " I asked her once not to address me as if I was 10 years old.

That's why I say, your problem person probably feels inadequate. You are probably much better at your job than she is. Instead of trying to befriend you and ask for help, she cannot admit her failings, but will take it out on you. If there were another person in that office with her, there would be the same result, with another target.

Please speak to your line manager, you may well meet with sympathy.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I'd reply to each one politely and cc or bcc your boss in
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    When does it become more than office politics though? I've never said a thing to her...too intimidated tbh. She is nasty to everyone but they're lucky enough not to have to share an office. One of my male colleagues overheard her speaking to me one day and stepped in to tell her to stop talking to me like that. I wish I could get the courage to do that myself. :(

get the courage to do that yourself - you may find you only have to do it once. Because you haven't spoken up yourself, your colleague may feel that the way she is communicating with you (the constant email instructions, the "telling you off" etc) is acceptable to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure