Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Is it worth it?

I am 50 years old now, is it really worth me joining the auto-enrolment pension scheme at my age?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Is free money worth it to you?

Is any alternative you do with your own money going to beat the free money you are given?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 8 November 2012 at 4:02PM
    At age 50, if you don't have any existing private pension saving then you probably won't be retiring until at least State Pension age (unless due to ill health or redundancy), which for you is likely to be 67.

17 years is enough time to save an amount that will make a big difference in retirement. Using this pension calculator, a person aged 50 earning £20,000 could build up an annual pension of £1,500 from age 67 if they contribute 3% of salary and employer contributes 4%.

Admittedly, £1,500 isn't much, but if all you have is income of £140 p/w then it is an extra 20% income which is a big increase. And a combined employee/employer contribution of 7% is low, so it should be easy to save more than that for many people.

There is a risk that the extra income is reduced due to means-testing, although who knows what the system will be when you reach pension age. However, you can take pensions (based on total pension wealth, not individual pension pots) worth up to £18,000 as a lump sum under Trivial Commutation. Hence you can start saving, and if it turns out that means-testing is a problem, stop saving later and stay below the Trivial Commutation threshold.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, it's likely to be worth it at any age. Usually those who are getting to your age or older tend to want to increase their pension provision, as they get closer to retirement.
  • Have you got disposable income?

If you aren't on the breadline then probably yes.

If you are then I'd wait for the next few years worth of benefits reform before you decide to opt-out - benefits may significantly reduce.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It is worth it, with tax relief, plus 'free money' from your employer- do it.
  • pop_gun
    pop_gun Posts: 371 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Isn't inflation going to destroy the value of pension anyway?

What about pension money being used by hedge funds in the stock market, which wipes millions off the value when the stock market tanks.

The idea of pensions makes people feel safer about the future. But as we all know, tomorrow never comes.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Isn't inflation going to destroy the value of pension anyway?

No
    What about pension money being used by hedge funds in the stock market, which wipes millions off the value when the stock market tanks.

What about when they go up? You average out the ups and downs with the objective of long term growth.
    The idea of pensions makes people feel safer about the future. But as we all know, tomorrow never comes.

Really? Tomorrow always seems to come.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I woke up a few hours ago- it came.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business