What can we do about unpaid wages?

Hello,
(please feel free to move this thread if its on the wrong board).

My husband is owed waged from his agency employers totaling around £1500 They started screwing up his wages(dont know if its accident or on purpose) before xmas '05 and its still going on to present day. They have only paid him approx £300 since the beginning of janruary.

My husband has been on to his employers about the missing wages, and they just keep saying that they will sort it out, but the money never arrives.

My husband has all of his wage slips showing the amount of wages that should have gone into his bank. He also has bank statements showing that next to nothing has gone in(eg. this week he received £25 :confused: ).
He has also written down all the hours hes done etc.

We have been struggling on with money since this has started.

We were wondering if anyone else had been in this position with their employers?

And also is there anything we can we do to get his wages owed, as his employers seem useless?

Comments

• hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    According to: https://www.thesite.org.uk in the money questions and answers section:
    Not paying your wages is called an unauthorised deduction from wages and you can try to recover this money either through the Employment Tribunal (within 90 days of the money not being paid) or through the courts (within six years). But you would be advised to try negotiating with your employer first, because either of the other methods are likely to be time consuming and stressful.

There are circumstances where your employer can deduct money from your pay, for example, if there has been an overpayment of wages or the cash register doesn't balance at the end of the day. To do this legally, your employer needs to inform you before they take the money. In the case of an overpayment of wages, a repayment period would normally be negotiated on an individual basis, whilst other circumstances are normally covered in your contract. Simply not to pay is a breach of contract.

For more information about this area, you may want to contact Acas or call their helpline on 08457 474747 to discuss the way forward. If you intend to take action through the Employment Tribunal or the courts, we would suggest you contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) for help.
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Would he be able to claim his wages through a small claims court?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    If he cant settle with his employer face to face then yes I would say that he would be able to I dont see why not. Its alot of money to be owed and they shouldnt be able to get away with it!

H
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • zebra7t4
    zebra7t4 Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thankyou. Theres still no money gone into his bank, We'll have to see what friday brings. My husband has phoned his employers(they are a head office, and send him working all over UK), and told them that if they dont sort it our within the next 2 weeks, then he's going to start a small claim.

He got the impression they dont believe him, TBH I just dont think theyre bothered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure