PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Doggie smells:(

Got back from a weekend away, had an in-house dog sitter.

The place stinks of dog :s I don't notice it normally cause I'm here every day, but going away and coming back it's terrible. Dog had a bath before I left, she's not 'dirty' the place just smells of dog.

Any tips to help? I hoover about 3 times a day normally and the place is pretty clean. Have opened all the windows to air the place out.

It doesn't bother me I just don't want people thinking this is a dirty doggy place!
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    I noticed that Bissel do a range of pet deodorisers for carpets etc, when I was buying their super pet hair eraser ... might be an option?

Sure the smell is dog, not the sitter? LOL
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • cutestkids
    cutestkids Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I think that it is part and parcel of having a dog in the house, you don't notice until you are away from it for a time.

I no longer have a dog but always when I go into someones house who does then you do smell that doggy smell it is unavoidable I think.

It certainly does not make me think that the house is dirty just that they have a dog.
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    I have the same problem, I think it's probably the carpets and the sofa (I know, but he was rehomed and is spoilt!). Despite being washed and towel dried when he comes in wet and muddy he still likes to roll around everywhere.

I try and stream everything every couple of months or so but not sure it makes a huge difference. I just think I'd rather have a home that smells a bit doggy rather than a home with no dog.
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • good going over with shake n vac then put some of the s+v in small dishes and hide them behind curtains are wherever
    thats also a good tip for ashtrays cover the bottom of them with s+v hides the smell,cheap own brand will do
  • optimistic
    optimistic Posts: 231 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Maybe your sitter wasnt so hot with the hoover as you are! so perhaps after a couple more days of thorough hoovering it will help. also, all this wet weather means all our dogs are a bit more noticeable than usual! ;)
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Be very careful using Shake n Vac or similar, it can often cause allergies in dogs and then is a nightmare to remove all traces of. Stick to natural products if you can, so buy some bicarbonate of soda (pharmacies often sell huge bags of it cheaper than the food stuff in supermarkets) and sprinkle that on the carpets like you would Shake n Vac, then hoover up - all the deodourising qualities without the artificial chemicals that can affect a dog. Stick some more of it in a shallow bowl and pop up on a shelf to deodourise the air (that's all that's in the 'fridge fresheners' anyway). Another trick I've used is keeping a spray bottle from cleaners or similar and then filling it with a solution of half water, half lemon juice. Spritz on soft furnishings (you may want to do a patch-test first to check the fabric) to not just deodourise, but give the room a lemony fresh scent. I've used this on curtains, sofa cushions, the rug, all sorts - and if the dog rubs up against it, the worst they'll get on them is a trace of lemon juice.
    I also pop a bit of bicarb in the hoover filter, and with the recent damp weather giving the house a bit of damp dog smell, I've been putting a few drops of vanilla essence in the hoover too. Gives downstairs a nice vanilla-y smell when I do the hoovering, instead of kicking up eau de damp dog!
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Best stuff to use is Safe4,the ASSISI were I volunteer use it as it's animal safe,mind you they use the comcentrate as they go thru gallons of the stuff.

The's a good de-oderiser in the link below but you may find the smaller concentrate better value.

http://www.safe4disinfectant.com/odourkiller.php
  • paidinchickens
    paidinchickens Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    I noticed that Bissel do a range of pet deodorisers for carpets etc, when I was buying their super pet hair eraser ... might be an option?

Sure the smell is dog, not the sitter? LOL

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • i use vinegar to dissapate bad smells (works for doggie smells and ciggie stink ;))

just stick some vinegar in a spray bottle (best to use white - but malt works too, vinegar smell lingers a bit longer - but better than dog - especially wet dog)

you can water it down - say 1/2 n 1/2 - but for full effect - use it neat - works a treat
    saving money by growing my own - much of which gets drunk
    made loads last year :beer:
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Has the sitter left a pile of used dog-towels needing a wash? It's been pretty wet lately, and if you've a laundry-bin of those waiting to be washed, it could be pervading the whole house.

Likewise, has the dog been getting into his/her bed whilst still damp? If so, a change of bedding might help.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure