PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Learning to sew....

Options

Comments

• Jei70
    Jei70 Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all the info on this thread - I also wish to learn to sew, like the OP, furnishings and gifts. I am a complete beginner, though, I tried just once and it was a disaster! The tips about getting info at John Lewis and practising on lined paper are brilliant! Thanks again.
    Cogito, ergo sum.
  • purplegrape
    Options
    Got my machine from a very lovely lady on freecycle after I posted a want ad, and I'd had no experience with a machine for years. I found that with the help of some books from the library, and some practice on scraps I'm not too scared about tackling projects now (that and a [scarily named] seam ripper that cost £1 which helps to remove any stitching mistakes quickly and restart!)

I now manage to alter my clothes when they're a bit too big at the edges!

So I guess I'd recommend the library and freecycle!

I really enjoy it - Good luck!
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If anyone is near Bristol and wants to learn sewing, please PM me.

If you want to do curtains a sewing machine is almost essential, you'll get totally fed up trying to do them by hand.

This forum is great for advice:

http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/

This one has loads of free patterns:

http://www.burdastyle.com/
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/enthusiast.html

http://sewing.about.com/od/beginner1/bb/sewing101.htm

If you can machine a straight line, you can sew curtains. If you have a machine a bit of practice should see you right.

Good luck.
  • Miss-B_3
    Options
    Hello everybody,

I am a journalism student and freelance writer currently working on a piece about the growing trend for M.I.Y (Make It yourself) fashion. I'm looking for people who have recently taken up sewing who might be able to tell me a little bit about their experiences. If anybody has a few moments to email me and tell me how they've been getting on with their sewing machine that would be fantastic. Please find my email address on my full profile.

Many thanks
  • kayl
    kayl Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    Both myself and my daughters are very keen to learn to sew, and my MIL has offered us her sewing machine. I do make simple things by hand, but have not used a machine since I did 3 years sewing at primary school 30 tears ago!. I'm not confident about using one again, far less teaching them. I've tried without success to find somewhere for lessons - the local colleges only have daytime courses, which are no use. Does anyone know of anywhere we could go for some basic classes?
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Which are area do you live in?
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • kayl
    kayl Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    Southside, but would travel to anywhere in Glasgow/South Lanarkshire within reason
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    www.thesewingforum.co.uk sometimes has details of classes. One of the sewing magazines has a list of courses in the back of it I believe, but not sure which one.

You could also post a message on thesewingforum, someone might know what is local to you.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • bjbell
    bjbell Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Sewing classes are often cheaper/easier to access in local community centres or try the local Age Concern group- thats where I learnt on a 'shared skills course' several years ago- I gave tips on helping with primary school home work as a teacher on maternity leave and two 'grannies' showed me how to alter/put together my first efforts in homemaking from scratch.
    Ask locally and there is bound to be something.:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport