PayPal charged me twice for the same item !! Lost 208 GBP !!!

Comments

• The seller could just be trying it on....write to him and explain and if you get no joy, explain that you will be taking further action. I would also have a word with your bank and ask them to explain why you haven't been alerted that 2 exact amounts have been taken out of your account and ask them what they will do about it...
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing altogether.:D
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    zwobott wrote: »
    hi, well, I could have done it, you're right, but as I said, I have never had any problems with PayPal before, even, when I'm doing and have been doing for ages any payments, I always wait/have been waiting for some time, because sometimes it takes few minutes for PayPal to acknowledge/accept/transfer payment/money. These two payments have been sent in just two minutes time, between 19.50 and 19.52 . I suspect it was Paypal's computer fault.

So when you received 2 payment confirmations for the same transaction didn't it occur to you that something wasn't right?
  • zwobott wrote: »
    well,

I have been doing some eBay stuff for quite long now, spend with them quite few pennies, could say thousands, and this was the first time something like this has happened! I have never had any problems with them, could call myself an experienced eBay/PayPal user. Sending money twice has never happened to me, and I think I am careful. Once even reported PayPal a spoof e-mail I got.
    I hope this gets sorted but....you say you are an experienced paypal user....then why the heck didn't you fund this from your credit card....I wouldn't dream of paying for anything over £50 by any other means.
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing altogether.:D
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,034
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Also as an experienced ebayer your 1st post suggests that the items were withdrawn from ebay *before* you paid, thus making it an off ebay sale. That should have worried you as of course full paypal protection is not available if sales take place outside of ebay.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • zwobott
    zwobott Posts: 28
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    well, I've got one of my current accounts is linked with PayPal, on the account there are never more than 30-40 GBP; in case I am paying for bigger items I transfer funds from a different minutes before paying via PayPal, bit more security, in case the account's data are stolen, no one is able to take more than 30-40 GBP; so far the system has been working great;

also e-mails that I get from eBay/PayPal are being sent to a different e-mail address than my proper one, hence I don't check it out quite often; the item I bought from the seller had been withdrawn from eBay prior sale, but still used PayPal as a sort of secure form of payment;

my problem now is not only these 208 GBP, but also bank charges... the account was overdrawn....

but as I said, I have never done such mistake before, always, making even small payments, I do wait for even 5-6 minutes for eBay/PayPal to confirm transaction, to see the screen of my computer saying ''payment has been completed''
  • zwobott, not sure if this might help or not. Could you ask your bank to send a dispute form. I have one in front of me but for a cc:

Quote from form:
    I confirm that I did not authorise the transactions to my account for the reasons stated below. Then you attach evidence or other documentation.

3. My account has been charged 2 times on DATE and DATE. Only one of these transactions has been authorised.

I'm not sure if this works, as when argos double charged their customers a few weeks ago?, this was the process. Also, had another transaction unauthorised via debit card/direct debit?, and that was years ago, but managed to claim it all back. It was a large amount as well.
  • zwobott
    zwobott Posts: 28
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hi

just got a call from PayPal
    they have also contacted the seller, and... I HAVE GOT ALL MY 208 GBP BACK !!!! :)

he behaved all right and as soon as he got the message, straight away sent money back !! ;))

if only I could, I would post his name here, because this guy is really an honest man.

the only thing I have got to do is to persuade my bank not to charge me for my overdraft, which was caused by this unfortunate transaction
  • durham_girl
    durham_girl Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    zwobott wrote: »
    if only I could, I would post his name here, because this guy is really an honest man.

So honest he kept quiet until he was asked about the extra £208 he got out of the deal.......
    :j30/7/10:j

:j24/1/14 :j
  • vet8
    vet8 Posts: 877 Forumite
    I have had buyers pay me twice on many occasions, one even paid me 3 times!!! I always wondered if this was them being stupid and hitting the pay button more than once or a PayPal error.
  • desert
    desert Posts: 83 Forumite
    Ask your seller nicely, not PayPal or ebay. Most of sellers can refund immediately, that is no doubt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure