Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Second job, higher rate tax, gift aid

Hi,

I work as a doctor who earns just under £40k, and am starting to do some ad-hoc locum work at the weekends through a locum agency. As this will be a second job, my earnings will be taxed at 40%. I'm blessed with a good financial position and can afford to donate some of my income at present to charity. The extra earnings from this second job will be around £500 per month, all of which I can afford to give away.

I assumed that the charity would be able to claim all of this 40% tax, which is wrong as it seems to be more complicated than that.

(can't add link here as I'm a new user, google "gift aid, HMRC, higher rate)

What I think this says is that the charity claims gift aid as normal, and I can claim back another 20% myself by self assessment or by asking HMRC to update my tax code.

I'm currently paid through PAYE for my primary job, and will be on PAYE in the second job also. I don't submit a self assessment.

As I understand it, to claim the extra 20% I'll have to contact HMRC to tell them about my charitable donations for them to update my tax code. I'm a bit confused.

Will I have to tell HMRC about all of my donations, or just those where I'm hoping to claim the extra 20%?

Is there any simpler way of doing this?

Thanks,
Ben

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Personally, I think you'd do best to go into self-assessment, because your locum earnings are likely to vary; that might mean the PAYE system just can't get you on the 'right' tax code for your higher rate tax; and you can't reclaim the 20% tax on your Gift Aid charitable giving through your tax code because that may vary too ...

And I think, although you are asking about charitable gifts, this would be better on the Cutting Tax board, so I hope the BG will move this for you.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Your basic rate band is extended by the amount of your charitable gifts, hence you get the extra 20% back.

I agree SA might be a good way to go if it is variable income. If your income goes over £50k and you or your partner are receiving child benefit, remember that you will be required to file anyway.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    For the current year t he higher rate tax band starts at 45,000 so, depending on your total income , you may not be liable at higher rate
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure