HSBC bank student account 2012/2013: We want your feedback

Options
2»

Comments

• xraee
    Options
    Been with HSBC all my life (21 years) so simply changed to a student account in year one of university. Was immediately offered £1750 overdraft limit but chose to reduce this to £500 as it was my first year, being told I could increase this at any time. I have never been over my overdraft limit, however as I tried to increase it to £800 at the end of my second year due to staying in university over summer, I was declined. This was done over the phone, however I had previously been into a branch and been told it would be no problem to extend it but to call up. Will try again in 3 months, at the beginning of my third and final year, and if I am declined again I will be complaining.
  • Becki-boop
    Options
    I have been with HSBC for 6 years and got an overdraft of £750, can't figure out why but I am not going to complain I also got offered a student credit card which I turned down
  • 11abcd11
    Options
    My daughter has been with HSBC for 2 years. It was her first year in Uni last year and got a £750 overdraft. As she ran out of money in summer holidays ( i am not in any position to help much) and her saturday job didnt want her hardly at all and she could not get anything else , so she used nearly all her overdraft. Asked the bank for an increase to tie her over till October when her grant comes in but was refused.Now has to wait 3 months to apply for an overdraft. A credit check came up with a low credit rating. We dont understand this as she only buys things with cash when needed, so no credit cards. It seems she has a low credit rating yet she has no debts. Lots of her friends have got a large overdraft with other banks, any one any ideas :(
  • Hort_2
    Options
    Be very careful when signing up to this account. If you're new to banking, you could easily be manipulated into having a credit card and PPI!
    Read all the paper work in front of you, very thoroughly!
  • popadom
    popadom Posts: 822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Although i am happy now, it took ages to get an account. I had to go to three different branches, make loads of calls. I provided proof of my course 3 times and was so frustrated I cried in one of the branches(had a bad day anyway ). I have been with the bank for nearly ten years so didn't expect that treatment.
  • Maggie.Moo_2
    Maggie.Moo_2 Posts: 76 Forumite
    edited 6 March 2015 at 2:53PM
    Options
    I'm really annoyed with HSBC. I opened my student account in Feb 2012, before any of their incentives, because I was interested in the 3% interest on balances up to £1,000 and the opportunity for a £3,000 overdraft.

I've seen very little of the 3% interest because I was silly enough to keep a balance above £1,000 until recently when I've taken advantage of cash incentives to open other bank accounts (didn't apply for overdrafts).

After being initially offered an overdraft of £1,500, it was kept at £500 which has only occasionally been used and then repaid within a week or so since Feb 2012 as I never needed it (I was assured I could apply for more at any time). I'm currently borrowing £139.59 from my overdraft as I misread the month of my student payment date and although I have money floating between two other accounts (and a large sum locked into an ISA until April) I wanted to increase my overdraft as a safety-net until my next payment/ISA is accessible. When applying, I was told I could apply for up to £5,000 as my account was granted 'Advance' status and although I thought this was wrong I knew I could repay it if I ever needed to use the full amount.

HSBC got back to me and said that this would be irresponsible of them as I am currently holding two credit accounts elsewhere (which are the two bank accounts without overdrafts) and this amount is not suitable for my income (my annual student payments are £16,000 as I have a child dependent and I recently had an annual summary saying my average monthly balance was +£2560). They now say I need to wait three months before I can apply for any increase again!

I am most annoyed because I recently took advantage of cashback available for a free credit check and I can see that this application has had a negative impact on my credit score - taking me from Good to Fair. While I obviously made some mistakes (probably shouldn't have asked for so much and might have been worth transferring money so that I was in credit with them), I feel really let down by HSBC after being so loyal to them. It really stings to know that I have friends who have lived off credit for years and have accumulated a lot of debt yet still have multiple large overdrafts with various banks!

I am looking at switching student accounts but not sure where I stand as I finish assessments in 11 weeks (although I don't actually graduate until November). Will probably pop into the branch of the account I like and ask their advice.
    Apologies for any typos, my phone can't handle the forums.
  • KianM
    KianM Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 4 September 2015 at 11:52AM
    Options
    I got my account a couple of weeks ago and I've been quite impressed with the service.

I got the minimum £500 overdraft after being credit checked (I literally have zero credit history) and the lady told me that I'd probably be able to increase it if I was responsible with it. I was offered the credit card (but rejected it).

One thing she said is that a large part of how they do the overdraft is that they want to be responsible lenders (they are the only one of the five biggest UK banks with more deposits than loans - 90% loan-deposit ratio).

For students with £6k/year in maintenance money, using a 38 week academic year (and self-supporting during the summer), they'll have about £630 monthly income so 125% of that is about £790 so less than the £500.
  • MoneyWonder
    Options
    Applied for this account online in 2015/16, took absolutely ages to open, waited near enough 2 months from application to open date. Once opened got my £60 voucher and a £1,000 0% Overdraft. From my experience as a HSBC customer (since I was about 10) its been fairly good service, very friendly and helpful staff.
  • AeroMaxx
    Options
    I have just recently as of yesterday (08/08/2016) opened one of these accounts, the opening of the account was hassle free did it online via the website, and then popped into the branch about 3-4 days later as I received a letter stating that I hadn't filled in the forms and sent them back, but they never sent me the forms to fill in. Was all setup in the bank for me, even setup my internet banking for me as well, couldn't do enough for me!

I was offered an overdraft of £500 interest free, I was told that this is just for the first year and it gets reviewed after 12 months, and if I wanted to I could increase it by another £500 every year I am a student.

I was told that only the first £500 is interest free however in the first year, I could have potentially got a higher overdraft but as the rest wasn't interest free I will increase it after my first year.

I am planning to be savvy and use the account for just the overdraft and save the money in a high interest savings account.
  • iEimis
    Options
    I had an appointment at HSBC branch to open one of these accounts. Have been HSBC customer since last year and been offered £750 overdraft and credit card with £500 interest-free overdraft if I pay it back within 56 days. It was a pretty good deal I thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure