Struggling with debt? Ask a debt advisor a question

Comments

• gethro
    gethro Posts: 935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi there

Thanks for posting. It's good to hear that you may be in a position to settle your debts.

I'm not completely sure if your DMP is with us, but if it is, I'm sorry you've not had a response to your e-mail yet. The best thing to do would be to call our Client Support team and they'll be able to help, maybe by putting you in touch with our Settlement Team. We don't charge any fees for assisting with settlement offers and would love to be able to help if we can.

If you need any more specific information please feel free to send us a DM to StepChange Private Messages.

If you're with another company, then again I'd recommend giving them a call.

I hope this is helpful.

Allen

Hi
    Thanks for the reply ,I am with stepchange and have just checked my DMP but still no reply ,i have just messaged them again asked them to confirm that they recieved my first message and that they are looking into getting me settlement figures,I am on holiday next week so if I don't get a reply by the end of next week I will ring the settlements team,thanks for your reply Geoff
  • StepChange_Allen
    StepChange_Allen Posts: 352 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary First Post
    Givens wrote: »
    First of all I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place so apologies If I'm not. A friend has come to me asking for some advice on his business overdraft. First of all he is no longer trading anymore but it was a ltd company but his business overdraft is unfortunately about £8000, he does inform me that he has personally guaranteed £2000 of his loan but is awaiting confirmation of this.

He is under the impression once he has paid the £2000 back he can walk away from the rest of the loan and they can't follow him personally for the loan, is this correct? A relative is willing to lend him the £2000 if this is the case.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello

Thanks for posting.

It's difficult to be able to answer that with much certainty without seeing the terms and conditions of the overdraft myself and what your friend signed up to. I'd recommend your friend contacts Business Debtline for the best advice on this. They're a free service like StepChange but they're experts on debts that have resulted from businesses.

I hope this proves to be helpful.

Allen
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • I am considering equity release, need 50,000k. I will be in a position to repay it in full when I receive some money in 5yrs time. Is it a good idea?
  • StepChange_Private_Messages
    StepChange_Private_Messages Posts: 120 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    cowslip378 wrote: »
    I am considering equity release, need 50,000k. I will be in a position to repay it in full when I receive some money in 5yrs time. Is it a good idea?

Hi there

Thanks for your post.

Without knowing your full financial circumstances, it's impossible for me to advise you on this. There's a lot of factors involved with equity release that we'll need to discuss in more detail.

I would suggest using our Debt Remedy tool on our website to help you build a budget. This will show us your financial situation. We can then advise you on the pros and cons of equity release and discuss any other options with you too.

If you would rather call and speak with an advisor instead you can find all our contact details here.

Take care
    Richard.
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • Mkl79
    Mkl79 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Hi

I am in a dmp and have been for 4/5 months now. I originally had a fairly decent emergency fund behind me but a little while ago i suffered a minor stroke, relating i believe to a massive release of pressure after 8 years and 40k of debt at over £900 a month. This meant i could no longer do my job and am now unemployed and just do a bit of casual work here and there. My savings are all but gone and things are looking bleak. My dmp provider (stepchange) have been so helpful and taken a huge weight off my shoulders for which i am very grateful. I have an old bank account with an overdraft facility already set up and am considering taking the overdraft money out and using it to replenish my savings but as this account is with a certain bank who are also my main creditor i am wary af 'rocking the boat' and causing issues with my dmp. All creditors bar 1 have been excellent thus far and the dmp is working. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Former_StepChange_Richard
    Former_StepChange_Richard Posts: 119 Organisation Representative
    Mkl79 wrote: »
    Hi

I am in a dmp and have been for 4/5 months now. I originally had a fairly decent emergency fund behind me but a little while ago i suffered a minor stroke, relating i believe to a massive release of pressure after 8 years and 40k of debt at over £900 a month. This meant i could no longer do my job and am now unemployed and just do a bit of casual work here and there. My savings are all but gone and things are looking bleak. My dmp provider (stepchange) have been so helpful and taken a huge weight off my shoulders for which i am very grateful. I have an old bank account with an overdraft facility already set up and am considering taking the overdraft money out and using it to replenish my savings but as this account is with a certain bank who are also my main creditor i am wary af 'rocking the boat' and causing issues with my dmp. All creditors bar 1 have been excellent thus far and the dmp is working. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post. I'm so sorry to hear of your health and how its affected your work. We'll do everything we can to help you with this though.

As you are on a plan with us already, the best way we can help would be for you to call and speak with an advisor. Without knowing your full financial situation myself, its hard to give you accurate advice. If you call and speak with an advisor, they can see the budget you are working with and give you practical advice on this.

All the contact details for the charity can be found here.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Take care
    Richard

• Hi there
    I am in a self managed DMP, have been getting very good responses from creditors to date (started in March this year). RBoS we are owe nearly £20,000 on a credit card. They accepted our offer of reduced payment and froze interest etc then defaulted.

Got a letter they are passing us to Wescott. I was wondering what to expect now? I will carry on paying RBoS meantime until I hear from Westcott but am worried they will force a larger repayment than we can afford or take us to court.
    With thanks for your advice.
    Travelling hopefully 🏃
  • Former_StepChange_Richard
    Former_StepChange_Richard Posts: 119 Organisation Representative
    Hi there
    I am in a self managed DMP, have been getting very good responses from creditors to date (started in March this year). RBoS we are owe nearly £20,000 on a credit card. They accepted our offer of reduced payment and froze interest etc then defaulted.

Got a letter they are passing us to Wescott. I was wondering what to expect now? I will carry on paying RBoS meantime until I hear from Westcott but am worried they will force a larger repayment than we can afford or take us to court.
    With thanks for your advice.

Hi there

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum. I'm glad to hear that you have been getting good responses so far. I'll try and shed some light on what is happening with the RBoS debt now.

It is quite common for creditors to pass debts on to debt collection companies in these situations. Wescott is a debt collection company. These companies have no other powers than the original creditor to collect the debt from you. Just because a debt collection company is now collecting the debt does not mean that you should pay any more to it than you can afford.

Once you have defaulted on your credit agreement your creditor can apply for court action against you. A debt collection company is no more likely to do this than the original creditor, but it could happen. Just in case you need it, our website has a lot of information about court action and how to respond.

I hope this has been of some use, but if you need any further help please let us know. All our contact details are here if you would like to speak with an advisor.

Take care
    Richard.

• Sorry this is my first post and dont know if im doing it right or writing as a replie to someone else so i wont post me situation until i get a replie to let me know. Thanks
  • StepChange_Allen
    StepChange_Allen Posts: 352 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry this is my first post and dont know if im doing it right or writing as a replie to someone else so i wont post me situation until i get a replie to let me know. Thanks

Hello

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

The way you've posted is absolutely fine, so if you'd like to post a question for us we'll be more than happy to answer.

Thanks

Allen

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure