PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can I make a sponge pudding in advance?

I want to make a steamed sponge for pudding and serve it hot, but if I make it straight before I steam it then I will have to do it right in the middle of cooking the dinner!
How do you do it? Do you cook it earlier in the day and reheat it?

Comments

• Jackop
    Jackop Posts: 150 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2015 at 3:17PM
    You could do something in the slow cooker, something like this:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/784637/selfsaucing-jaffa-pudding

The slow cooker method is further down the page.

Get it going a few hours before and it ll be ready when you are, if you turn the temp to low when the time is up it should just keep warm until your ready to eat it.

Although that specific recipe might be a little rich, the same logic applies to any slow cooker pudding.
    Borrowed - £148000 June 2013
    Original MF Date - May 2038
    Aiming For - March 2031 (At Latest!)
    Overpaid - £490.00
    Daily Interest - [STRIKE]£18.16[/STRIKE] £18.09
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    I always do steamed puddings in the slow cooker. It's much easier as you don't have to keep topping up the water.

If you don't have a slow cooker you could do a baked sponge which could be reheated.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I haven't made one for years since the children left home but I always used to microwave mine. Plenty of recipes on Google. I'd cook it just in advance of the meal being ready and leave it in the hot bowl. With custard it was still plenty hot enough when we needed it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure