PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

sole plate of iron (cleaning)

Comments

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Nail varnish remover is quite good at removing sticky stuff.
    Catherine x
  • chickadee
    chickadee Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Any stubborn bits can be removed with a brillo pad. Make sure the iron plate is warm (not too hot) as this will make the glue softer.
    Don't do this if your iron is non-stick though as it will remove the non-stick layer.

Hope this helps.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #8 £341.90
    Sealed Pot Challenge #9 £162.98
    Sealed Pot Challenge #10 £33.10
    Sealed Pot Challenge #11 Member #36
  • Rache_2
    Rache_2 Posts: 107 Forumite
    A non-OS version (ssssssssshhhh) is Sticky Stuff Remover from Lakeland. It's fab. Non toxic and non-smelly. I use it all the time; it gets sticky jam labels off so you can reuse the jars, and all sorts of other things too. It even works on skin and hair for chewing gum "incidents".
    Lightbulb moment: 2nd January 2006

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got."
  • RachelD
    RachelD Posts: 217 Forumite
    Fairy Power Spray which is good for burnt saucepans (I know, I know, a drop of bio powder works wonders in its own time but if you are in a hurry...) also works on the iron. Make sure you put the iron on some newspaper as the spray can be lethal to some surfaces- like wood or paint.

rachel
    if i had known then what i know now
  • brokenwings
    brokenwings Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In my old non OS days i used to buy tubes of hot iron cleaner from lakeland to clean the scorched on stuff of the bottom of my iron - now thats a strict no-no, but try telling my iron that.

Does anyone have a magic formula to clean the base of the iron from scorches? sticky stuff?

.... i just know the answer has to include lemon/bicarb/soda crystals/vinegar or stardrops lol

tia all.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Turn the iron on, allow it get warm but not too hot. Iron over a sheet of brown paper .... allow the paper to drape over the edge of the board and run the iron over the edge.

This should remove all the sticky residue on the base of the iron. You'll need to move the iron around so that it doesn't pick up some of the residue you've already deposited on the paper.

But .... why are you getting stuff on the bottom of your iron? It suggests you are ironing synthetics at too high a temperature, so cut it out :naughty:;)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • brokenwings
    brokenwings Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thanks dfc : )
    guilty as charged
    i consider myself well and truly chastised and will behave from now on
    so i need to write it out a hundred times?
    I WILL NOT IRON AT TOO HIGH TEMPS --- lol
  • Good Morning All,

anyone have any tips on how to clean the bottom of an iron?
    mine seems to have got a patch of hard black stuff, what causes it?

thanks
  • bluekp
    bluekp Posts: 439 Forumite
    Good question - I'd be interested to hear any answers to this as I have the same problem too :rolleyes:
    Debt at Highest: £11,630.10 (May 2006) Debt now: £0.00 !!!!
    Married to the man of my dreams :A - Sat 2nd June 2007
  • The iron is too hot for the fabric that you are ironing!

I use a scourer and GENTLY clean the soleplate so as not to scratch it, should work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure