PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

sole plate of iron (cleaning)

Options

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A similar idea to the one Queenie posted is to use a small bar of beeswax polish.

Wrap the bar in a cotton handkerchief then wipe the wrapped bar all over the warm/hot iron hotplate. To remove the wax/staining and clean the iron, simply iron an old piece of cloth. The cloth will collect the wax and stains and the hotplate will be left shiny and clean.

An added bonus is that your ironing is made easier........your iron will glide over the garments instead of sticking.

I used to work in a research & development laundry care laboratory so remember lots of laundry tips.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not sure about cleaning the iron but I wanted to say welcome to Old Style to Eager Elephant, I recognize you from another forum I breifly used to post on & you were always a voice of sanity:beer:
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Got another problem, hope someone can help!
    My steam iron is about 3 years old, its a good make-can't remember which one at the moment. It has started to drop dirty water when its steaming. Its only blobs, but it always happens when I'm ironing the kids WHITE school shirts, a white Tshirts!!
    I've drained all the water out of it, and used it with the steam on to try and dry out the inside, but when I put water back in, the same thing happens. The base of the iron is perfectly clean. The brown water/dirt in inside the iron.

I'm not money saving very well, if I have to wash my whites twice!! Any ideas girls???

Thanks in advance.
    :j
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like it needs descaling toozie.

I descale mine in the same way as I descale my kettle - I add a solution of water and white vinegar (just a Tbsp of vin) while the iron is hot (in the usual steam water chamber) but the iron is turned off.

I leave that to 'stand' for roughly an hour, pour the solution out into a jug. If the holes are blocked on your iron plate. Repeat the above, but this time, place the iron plate side down on a wire rack (I use my grill pan rack) and then let the hot steamy solution work it's way out of the holes.

HTH
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree with Queenie, definitely sounds like a descale is in order.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Daisy
    Daisy Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    I've got the same problem as toozie only my iron is 10 years old. I have done the white vinegar descaling thing. I had to do it about 3 times until the water/steam ran clear. However, it still has what looks like brown grainy bits in the holes and when I iron it now has a burny smell. I've also used a cotton wool bud and lemon juice to poke in the holes. Thinking of just buying a new iron but I love this iron because it's a really good one. Any suggestions?
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have tried the soap idea and it hasn't worked - I've probably done something wrong, I'll list what I did and then you can all let me know where I went wrong:

I went to Tesco and bought some Magnolia soap (we don't use soap in our house), I turned the iron on and let it get hot, then I turned it off and rubbed soap over the marks. However it didn't smell at all and I waited til it went cold and rubbed the soap off with a cloth.

The brown marks have gone but what is left is some clear marks (if you can imagine sticking a sticker on a lunchbox and when you peel it off you get left with some tack) - that is what part of the plate of my iron looks like but it isn't sticky!!

Any more ideas?

Sorry about this
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    I've been using no sew hem stuff to make a patch, and inadvertanly got the left over bit stuck to the bottom of my iron :o

I've got most of it off , but it's still sticky :( any tips for cleaning the ironing plate?

-
    Katya
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    You could try heating the iron up until it is really hot, then running it over a damp flannel.

You need to re-melt the sticky stuff, and this might just be worth a try.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get a bit of brown paper cover it with salt and turn the iron on high and run it over the salt. I do this every time I stick something to my iron and it does work. Don't use a jiffy bag tho as it has plastic inside Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure