Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Comments

• MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can "ask Santander" as much as you like, but they simply send the form onto BoS who chose when to transfer the funds.

The wording "serve the full notice period" is standard - but wrong - HMRC wording (which nearly all ISA providers use without thinking - d'oh!) and it will be interpreted as "transfer on maturity" but you can normally simply write (in blank space on the form) "transfer on maturity" as well as ticking the "serve the full notice period" box.
  • Bumping to stay on first page of the forum
    Learn to speak Norfolk:
    Translations: Naarfok = Norfolk, Narridge = Norwich, jargon = like running, but slower, cooo = queue, how're yer gettin arn = Norfolk greeting, on the huh = Something being uneven.
  • purplestar133
    purplestar133 Posts: 1,731
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Upgraded to Santander's two year Major ISA over the phone on Tues night. Surprised that the paperwork turned up today in the post. The letter said 'as discussed I have cancelled your request to transfer to another provider'. That wasn't discussed, I hadn't requested to transfer to another provider! And they included the terms and conditions for the wrong account - the Fixed Rate Postal ISA.

Good start! Now I'm going to have to ring them and check they've opened the right account.
    KTF wrote: »
    Same letter for me. I just binned it all as it said on the covering letter that I had been moved to the Major ISA which is the 2 year one and if it was a postal ISA then it wouldnt be showing online.

Be interested to see what they say if you do call them though.

Strange...got another letter today from Santander that makes more sense. Confirms they have moved my ISA into the 2 year fixed rate major isa. Includes the correct terms and conditions. Wonders never cease!
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hi All,

Thanks for the assurance on satander but I really didn't want to go there!

I applied for the Cheshire BS online last weekened and printed off the forms but held off posting it with my cheque until Wednesday just in case anything better arrived. It didn't and off it went in the post. On Thursday I received a text and email confirming the account was now open. Pretty good service I would say!

FD Reg savers were re-set up last weekend for me and OH so hoping for more good (or even better hopefully) deals this time next year for those maturing sums.

In the meantime, the Monmouthshire will get my custom with their flexible saver (NOT an ISA) for mopping up extra available cash during the next 12 months. After tax it's slightly below the Cheshire easy access rate paying only 3.2% net but won't mean I have to have an ISA in 12 months that will only accept transfers.

That plan has taken a lot of working out! I'd love any feedback you have.

Thanks again Kazza for your excellent hard work on this thread, you are a star!

All the best,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Btw Spiggle, you realise it's only ISA transfers the Cheshire didn't allow into their top products. Transfers from non ISA accounts held at the Cheshire are fine.
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    A very good point DetainWino, thank you very much. I'll go have a peek at what else they offer. I picked up the Monmouthshire from one of the savings and investments threads.

Thanks again, much appreciated,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,350
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 17 March 2012 at 8:55AM
    Birmingham Midshires have a 2 year fixed rate ISA paying 4.05% AER.

Transfers accepted.

Withdrawals with 180 days interest penalty (or 90 days in year 2).

Can be operated by post only but can apply on-line.

Edit 17th March: codetown has now created a thread to discuss this account here
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • samizdat
    samizdat Posts: 398 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2012 at 3:19PM
    Been busy this year, and only just started looking for an ISA (for next year). Seems I missed a great deal on National Counties 2-year fix @ 3.7% with 99-day penalty-free access and transfres-in (still open for existing customers - maybe I can become a customer before the 30 March deadline?!).

That's what I'm looking for really, a decent rate guarantee but with easy access. I've waded through a lot of the fixed rate terms and conditions, but I don't see anything to tempt me. 180 days' interest penalty seems about the best offer on the fixed-rate bonds - not for me.

So, I have this year's money (£5340) about to mature at Santander, and need to put in another £5640 on 6 April. Other accounts are all on better long-term (penalty-free) fixes. Am I right that, for a one-stop shop, NatWest is the best rate option (3.25% for balances over £10k but below £30k)?

Otherwise, I could choose the AA for the new money (3.5%), and Santander for the transfer (3.3%), but do Santander allow transfers from their existing ISA products? I'll take a deep breath, and call them.

Edit: Not sure if the AA will stay open until the new tax year. Anyone??
  • samizdat
    samizdat wrote: »
    Edit: Not sure if the AA will stay open until the new tax year. Anyone??
    Wow, spoke to the AA and got a very precise answer!! Good CS guy.

In the event the AA withdraw the account, they will only allow deposits for a period of 14 calendar days from the date of product withdrawal. If I apply today, that would take us to 31 March, which is still in the 2011/12 tax year - so I would then be unable to fund the account, having already opened an ISA this financial year.

So I need to hold off applying to the AA until 23 March, or thereabouts.
  • samizdat
    samizdat wrote: »
    ... but do Santander allow transfers from their existing ISA products? I'll take a deep breath, and call them.
    Oh, great, the Santander website confirms intra-company transfers are acceptable - no need to call them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback