Using Android Pay for London tube travel?

I've got an Android Pay compatible phone to which I've added a non-contactless credit card. I can use Android Pay at various shops and it all works fine.

I'm keen to switch from my Oyster card to using Android Pay for my London train/bus travels and was wondering if anyone has done this. I have a few questions:

1) Will I benefit from weekly/monthly capping?
2) How do I add Android Pay to my Oyster online account so I can check my journey history? (there only seems to be an option to add a credit/debit card as an associated contactless payment option)
3) Will the phone work with the screen off or does the screen have to be on or does the phone have to be unlocked?

TIA

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Better to ask on the public transport board really, or just do a search as most of these questions have been asked and answered previously.

One thing to note is that it can be quite slow for the barriers to communicate with the phone, slower than with an Oyster card, and if you're travelling at a busy time a queue may build up behind you.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    techno79 wrote: »
    1) Will I benefit from weekly/monthly capping?
    2) How do I add Android Pay to my Oyster online account so I can check my journey history? (there only seems to be an option to add a credit/debit card as an associated contactless payment option)
    3) Will the phone work with the screen off or does the screen have to be on or does the phone have to be unlocked?

1. Yes, you will benefit from weekly capping as if using a normal contactless card
    2. Register the contactless card as normal - when you start using Andriod Pay the tranactions will appear there.

Note to benefit from capping - you cant swap between your contactless card and Android Pay (as tfl see them as seperate cards)

3. Will depend on your phone? For mine, I just touch the fingerprint reader each time.

Also see https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless/other-methods-of-contactless-payment/android-pay?cid=androidpay
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    When I've used the Underground in London I always 'arm' my iPhone ready to tap in/out-you can do this up to 60 seconds before it times out.

Have no idea if this is the same for Android Pay but does save a small amount of time when using the network.

Oh, and make sure your phone has plenty of charge. I *think* TfL may penalise you if your phone is dead and they carry out a random inspection and they can't read your device.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • 20aday wrote: »
    When I've used the Underground in London I always 'arm' my iPhone ready to tap in/out-you can do this up to 60 seconds before it times out.

Have no idea if this is the same for Android Pay but does save a small amount of time when using the network.

Oh, and make sure your phone has plenty of charge. I *think* TfL may penalise you if your phone is dead and they carry out a random inspection and they can't read your device.
    That is correct, if your phone battery runs out during your journey you will neither be able to show your Android 'touch in' when requested by a revenue inspector, nor will you be able to tap out; you'll have to use another card and this will show as two unfinished journeys, with maximum fares applying.
  • Great, thanks for all the replies. I asked TFL the questions so still waiting for them to reply. I've since added the non-contactless credit card that I use in Android Pay and will attempt to use Android Pay on my next journey to see what happens. Planning to use it during a quiet period with an Oyster card handy in case it all goes to pot.
  • techno79
    techno79 Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Got a reply from TFL so just I case anyone else is interested:
    Monthly capping doesn't exist (my bad, I thought it did)

A non-contactless card added to Android Pay, and then using AP with the touch in/out will benefit from weekly capping just like contactless payment cards.

And then to view journey history of AP, I just have to add the underlying credit card details (from the physical card) to my TFL account. Even though it's not a contactless card, I've been reassured that it'll just work and show up.

I've yet to try it out so time will tell.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure