Pay Aqua Credit card

2»

Comments

• Cash is the slowest way of making a payment to a credit card. It has never been king unless the recipient is stood in front of you.

Time to look into online banking, or at least phoning up with a debit card.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Kolomna wrote: »
    You pay cash into Lloyds Bank which accepts on behalf of Aqua. They take YOUR CASH and according to Aqua, then send a cheque to Aqua, which aqua then takes 10 working days to clear.
    That's not what they say at http://www.aquacard.co.uk/customers/make-payment/, where a wide range of payment options is offered.
    Kolomna wrote: »
    They won't let you pay early and ALL they are trying to do, is make or hope that you slip up and end up with a late payment charge or huge interest charges. I call this legal theft and it needs to be looked into.
    A good place to look would probably be http://www.aquacard.co.uk/credit-card-faq/
    Can I still make a payment even if I don't receive a statement? If you have a balance on your account, or if there is any activity on your account, you should receive a statement each month. If you don't please call our customer services team on 0333 220 2691. You must still make your payment by the due date.
    You can make payments at any point during the month even if you haven't received your statement. You can also make more than one payment a month.
  • So, as suggested in this thread, I paid my balance AFTER the statement had been generated via the Aqua website. I also set up a Direct Debit (as a backup), just in case I am every away in the future.

However, even though I was paid and up to date, I got a text message saying the amount would be taken by direct debit (which means I would be paying twice). I called up Aqua and the guy said that you can't set up direct debit as a back up. If you pay via the aqua site (before the direct debit is taken) then you have to call up Aqua so they can cancel the direct debit completely. Then you will have to set up a new direct debit for the next month (but cancel it again if you pay via the site).

Is that the case or was the guy just having me on? It seems a little a bit bizarre!

I suppose I don't really need the direct debit as a back up, as I always pay on time. But I assumed the system would be smart enough to know when a payment has been made and then not take it via direct debit.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    this varies from card company to card company. Some will adjust and not take the DD if you have at least paid the minimum (as long as there is enough time to do this) whereas others will take the DD anyway. Know your own card T&Cs.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Kolomna wrote: »
    Aqua Credit Cards are making a fortune and stealing money from hard earners. You pay cash into Lloyds Bank which accepts on behalf of Aqua. They take YOUR CASH and according to Aqua, then send a cheque to Aqua, which aqua then takes 10 working days to clear. What crooks. Since when has CASH not been KING. They won't let you pay early and ALL they are trying to do, is make or hope that you slip up and end up with a late payment charge or huge interest charges. I call this legal theft and it needs to be looked into. I paid my cash into the Bank on the 13th of the month. A payment was posted to my account on the 15th BUT it will not be clear until the 27th. My Payment due date was the 24th... What's the odds that i get a late payment charge?... Just as bad is the fact that I just went into HSBC to pay my Capital One Card and they charged me £5.00 for the privilege. Now wonder this Bank makes 7.5 Billion every 6 months.

You chose a slow, old fashioned payment method and then blame the bank for the time it took to be processed. I'm guessing you cycled to the bank on your penny farthing and handed over a wad of white fivers and ten bob notes?
  • HeCh
    HeCh Posts: 55 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2017 at 7:42PM
    @ littly_kitty

I have had an Aqua Advance card for about two years and have had a direct debit set up to take the minimum payment each month since the beginning simply as a back up in case I forget or am unable to pay manually for some reason.

Every month I wait until the statement is generated and then pay in full by FPS. Occasionally I still get a text message saying they will collect the minimum payment by direct debit but this has never happened. Like you, I too phoned up but was told not to worry it's just 'the system' that sometimes generates automated texts depending on the time remaining between the payment due date and when they actually credit the FPS payment to the Aqua account.

Always worth re-reading the terms and conditions that you were given to check or maybe try another call to clarify with somebody different? The customer advisor's advice you received is certainly not what I have experienced with Aqua.

PS The original direct debit to Aqua remains in place at by bank and has not been cancelled or set up again
  • littly_kitty
    littly_kitty Posts: 117 Forumite
    Thanks for all the useful advice. I'll look into the DD as it would be nice to have a back up. But at the moment, I pay on time, so I am okay.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 March 2017 at 11:37AM
    Cash is fine, if you use an actual bank's card and pay it at the same bank, as it will arrive the same day. A FP can be forward dated until shortly after a salary payment, or shortly before a due date or pretty much any date you choose. A debit card payment or Direct Debit are both much less versatile x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure