PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Gas leak - help!

Hope I'm posting this in the right place!

I'm home visiting my family after 3 months out of the country.

My mom told me that she's been paying an estimated gas and electric bill for a year and has had a call to say the estimate was wrong and she now owes over £1000. My moms house is the coldest I know so she is definitely not being excessive with the heating and is very conscious of turning lights off etc.

I've opened the cupboard under the stairs to get something out and it absolutely STINKS of gas!! We now suspect a leak, which would explain the big bill.

The house is privately rented. The landlord is appalling at sorting out any problems. The house was a state when she moved in and is falling apart. She's been living with no hot water (other than in the electric shower) for about 18 months, when they first moved in they had no oven for 6 weeks. The landlords botch everything. But my mom is of the opinion that she leaves them alone, they leave her alone. She pays for all repairs etc out of her own pocket. She's worried to ever kick up a fuss about anything incase they 'kick her out' of the house. Which is why she's gone so long without hot water.

However, now this is serious!! A gas safety inspection hasn't been carried out during the just over 2 years she's lived there and she's never been given a gas safety certificate.

This needs sorting urgently but we don't know the best way to go about it.

We want-

-the potential gas leak fixed

-the hot water fixed

-money towards the huge bill if it turns out to be a gas leak.

Any advice on who to go to first? Environmental health? Ask the landlord to give us a copy of the most recent gas safety inspection certifate? Call a gas company to come and check out the potential leak which will then leave us with a cost which (based on experience) we won't be reimbursed for?

Need to sort this out immediately but don't know what to do first!

Please please help. Thank you in advance!

Kelly

Comments

• How did the supplier find out the estimate was wrong? Has your mother/visitimg engineer provided a meter reading to them?

If there's a real risk of a leak, turn the gas off! Call the National Grid Emergency Line 0800 111 999. Follow their advice.

Then call the landlord.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    If you can smell gas you need to call National Grid now. Their number is 0800 111999.

(Cross post!)
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Call the National Gas Emergency Service (24 hours a day) on 0800 111 999 if there's any hint of a potential leak. We had to do that before and I don't recall any charge - but they will likely shut off the gas supply.

For goodness sake don't mess around in that kind of scenario - regarding the state of the rental long term - can your mum look for something else ?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    As Kerri gt says.
    I called them and they shut the gas off until I called a gas safe guy to come and fix. It was a wrongly installed gas hob so I was not best pleased. Oh there was no charge to shut the gas off. Anyway it would be landlords cost.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I would have thought that a gas leak bad enough to cause an extra £1000 of billing would have blown the house up by now.

It is more likely that estimated readings have been used , so the bills were too low and now an official reading has exposed the shortfall.

To keep up with bills you need to allow entry for meter readers or send in your own readings on a regular basis (at least every two months).
  • Kellyallen wrote: »
    Hope I'm posting this in the right place!

I'm home visiting my family after 3 months out of the country.

My mom told me that she's been paying an estimated gas and electric bill for a year and has had a call to say the estimate was wrong and she now owes over £1000. My moms house is the coldest I know so she is definitely not being excessive with the heating and is very conscious of turning lights off etc.

I've opened the cupboard under the stairs to get something out and it absolutely STINKS of gas!! We now suspect a leak, which would explain the big bill.

The house is privately rented. The landlord is appalling at sorting out any problems. The house was a state when she moved in and is falling apart. She's been living with no hot water (other than in the electric shower) for about 18 months, when they first moved in they had no oven for 6 weeks. The landlords botch everything. But my mom is of the opinion that she leaves them alone, they leave her alone. She pays for all repairs etc out of her own pocket. She's worried to ever kick up a fuss about anything incase they 'kick her out' of the house. Which is why she's gone so long without hot water.

However, now this is serious!! A gas safety inspection hasn't been carried out during the just over 2 years she's lived there and she's never been given a gas safety certificate.

This needs sorting urgently but we don't know the best way to go about it.

We want-

-the potential gas leak fixed

-the hot water fixed

-money towards the huge bill if it turns out to be a gas leak.

Any advice on who to go to first? Environmental health? Ask the landlord to give us a copy of the most recent gas safety inspection certifate? Call a gas company to come and check out the potential leak which will then leave us with a cost which (based on experience) we won't be reimbursed for?

Need to sort this out immediately but don't know what to do first!

Please please help. Thank you in advance!

Kelly

As a tenant you have rights . Sounds like a shady landlord .
    Did you go,through a Lettings office/ estate agent? Did you pay a deposit ? You're lucky the house hasn't exploded by,the sounds of it .
    You will get expert help on here I'm sure . You may have to go to
    Cab/ shelter. You are paying rent. You're paying to live a decent life , not squalor for a scum landlord.
    One other thing : always read both electric and gas meters once a month. This way, you get no nasty surprises and will be able to pay your bills monthly saving you grief

Best of luck
  • Very good point q s
  • JamesR22
    JamesR22 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi,

Hopefully you've called the emergency number by now.

Your local gas distribution network (depends where you are in the country as to who it is) will come out within an hour (or two if you're able to isolate the gas supply and can no longer smell it).

They will shut off the supply and check for a leak. There is no charge for this. If the leak is before the meter, it will be repaired, again, no cost. If the leak is on internal pipework after the meter (or an appliance) then they will leave it isolated at the meter, and it will be up to you (or landlord) to arrange for a Gas Safe engineer to fix the leak. This will of course be chargeable, but will be your landlords responsibility, as is ensuring a valid Gas Safety certificate is supplied (with yearly checks).

I'm pretty sure it's against the law not to have this in place. After all this is a safety issue, not just the landlord trying to keep costs down. Time to get stern with them.

Thanks
  • Firstly, thank you so much for all the helpful responses!!
    Secondly- Sorry, I frantically wrote this message and may have been a bit misunderstood.
    I'm 27 and live in America, my mom is 49 and lives with my stepdad (who is a bit useless with this sort of stuff) and 3 teenage siblings. She's not an old lady living alone.
    She is in charge of the bills and has been aware of the smell in the cupboard for a long time but thought it just smelled old and musty. I went in the cupboard and thought it smelt like gas and my stepdad said he had thought that too.
    This afternoon my Nan and grandad visited and both smelt the cupboard and thought it smelt of gas too. We all had a bit/lot of a panic and an argument about the next step to take regarding the landlord and I posted on here.
    I think she shouldn't live here because she will always run into these problems with the shady landlord! She's taken to paying for repairs herself as it's such a grind trying to get the landlord over for anything! When the water first went he came and fiddled with something and it worked again, it stopped working shortly afterwards and she fiddled with the same thing and it worked again, it stopped working again and she couldn't get it working again, the landlord came out and got the water to barely lukewarm and said 'there you go, that will heat up' it never did. By this point she was fed up with him messing her around and they all just coped with cold water. There was recently a water leak, the landlord eventually came with a plumber and fixed it. My mom told the plumber about the hot water and he agreed to fix it. Long story short, the landlord told my mom to pay for the work and take it off her rent at the end of the month!!! Plumber was a no show, landlord is now in India for 2 months and said he would sort out the hot water when he is back in the country.
    The reason she thinks 'leave them alone they'll leave us alone' is because she has 2 dogs and most landlords won't allow pets in their home so her choice of house to move into is limited. The location is good as it's close to work and the property she was due to move into originally was literally pulled from under her feet 2 weeks before she was due to move in making my family effectively homeless. Luckily my Nan and grandad have a big house and we're able to take my family in for 3 months. My mom was desperate to move out and so the first house that came along that ticked all the boxes she grabbed with both hands despite the state it was in... (rented to a man who illegally sublet to 3 young lads who trashed the place. I mean TRASHED- my mom then cleaned it herself and forked out to decorate rooms and get it to a liveable state)
    She allows entry, doesn't have an issue with that. Nobody came by for almost a year, she thinks, to take a reading . She had been paying £150 per month which is in line with other similar properties she's lived in over the last 10 years. A reading was taken and she was told that she owes £1500

So, I remembered (and reminded my stepdad- don't know how they get through the day without me ��) that one of his old friends is a gas man. He text him and he's coming round tomorrow. He said in the meantime just shut off the gas (well like I said, the heating is never bloody on, we are out this evening so don't need to cook and they're used to cold water so not an issue!) but I'm thinking that we should have called national grid. I asked my stepdad to ask his friend if we should call NG and he said no, just shut it off and he'll come round tomorrow.

Like I say we don't know for sure that it's a gas leak but I'd say the hefty bill and smell off gas maybe adds up?

Issue is we're dealing with obviously shady landlords here...
    the property was advertised through an agent initially but now is managed privately by the landlords sister. 1 months rent deposit was paid which my mom believes is held in a scheme..
    Anything she goes to them for they drag their feet then try to fix themselves with an absolute botched job! (Shower broke and took 2 months to fix, oven took 6 weeks - side note, they tried to silicone seal the glass back into the front of the oven when it kept falling out! Then removed it from the house when that didn't work and brought it back 6 weeks later!)
    All they care about is getting money each month and keeping costs down on anything that needs doing.
    Gas inspection has never been done, nothing to do with my mom refusing entry.

She doesn't want to rock the boat because she doesn't want the struggle of finding somewhere else to live if they feel that my mom gives them too much grief.

Where do you think we stand when it comes to the bill if it's proven to be due to a gas leak?
    We haven't contacted them yet as I fully expect them to try to send over one of their friends to do an inspection or botch something up or try to pull the wool over their eyes for their benefit.

Sorry that's been a long one! Hope I've answered all questions. Difficult to explain the full situation. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read and help. Really appreciate it.

Kelly
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 April 2017 at 9:47PM
    Has the landlord done annual gas safety inspections, and given your mum the report eaxh year?

See

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqtenant.htm

Assuming the LL has arranged annual inspections as required, and your mum has failed to raise any issues (eg smell of gas) then I don't see how the LL can be liable. The supply of the gas is a matter between her and the utility supplier.

However if the LL has failed to do annual inspections as required, then her consequential loss (ie the excessive bills) may be atributable to the LL.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure