Cycle helmet advice

Comments

• LoraN
    LoraN Posts: 13 Forumite
    I have Primark and I can say that is pretty good.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Why would you buy a £70 helmet over a £30 helmet for example?

The same reason why someone would buy a BMW over an Dacia Sandero or a Rolex over a Casio.

A polystyrene hat is not the most sophisticated technology, so realistically you have to even question why they would be charging £30 rather than £3.
  • It really is almost entirely branding to be honest!

It's just not true that cheap helmets are hot or uncomfy. Maybe in the 1990's yes. I have two, and they cost £25 and £30 and they're spot on. An Uvex and a Giro. Both so comfy I don't know they're there, both look alright (no mushroom head). I've never once ever considered matching my helmet to my gear to my bike, though I know a lot of people do. I can't help but ask "why" when I see them, proudly sporting their branded gear head to toe, and pootling along, no team sponsorship or race wins! :)
  • Big thanks for this topic!
    I'm just looking for a cheap but good helmet :)
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Now i'm sure they all have to pass tests so the £30 helmet should be good enough
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    I agree with Brat, the safety standard all helmets are certified to is fairly basic
    AndyBSG wrote: »
    really basic cheap helmets which may pass the safety criteria
    Not having a dig, genuine question: what are the safety criteria, what tests have to be passed, and who conducts and certifies them?

I've been around motorcycles for many years and I know that there are many testing schemes and standards for motorbike helmets - SHARK, Snell, ACU etc. The nature of the tests are well-publicised, the results are widely-known, and the manufacturers often quote test and safety standards in their advertising.

I have never seen anything similar for cycle helmets, and would be interested to hear of there is anything similar for those. I don't think there is, to be honest, but I am willing to be proved wrong.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Richard53 wrote: »
    Not having a dig, genuine question: what are the safety criteria, what tests have to be passed, and who conducts and certifies them?

I've been around motorcycles for many years and I know that there are many testing schemes and standards for motorbike helmets - SHARK, Snell, ACU etc. The nature of the tests are well-publicised, the results are widely-known, and the manufacturers often quote test and safety standards in their advertising.

I have never seen anything similar for cycle helmets, and would be interested to hear of there is anything similar for those. I don't think there is, to be honest, but I am willing to be proved wrong.
    Perhaps this is the list you are looking for:
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Take a look here - http://www.cyclehelmets.org/papers/c2023.pdf

I particularly liked the statement "Cycle helmets are primarily designed for falls without any other vehicle involved. In many legal cases I have studied where a cyclist was in collision with a motorised vehicle, the impact energy potentials were of a level that outstripped those that we use to certify Grand Prix motor racing helmets.

The tests that cycle helmets currently go through mean that they should offer similar protection to a pedestrian who trips and falls to the ground."

Doesn't seem a great reason to wear a polystyrene hat.
  • Richard53
    Forumite
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Perhaps this is the list you are looking for:
    Thank you. I hadn't seen that before.
  • Richard53
    Forumite
    Altarf wrote: »
    The tests that cycle helmets currently go through mean that they should offer similar protection to a pedestrian who trips and falls to the ground."

Doesn't seem a great reason to wear a polystyrene hat.
    I had heard that the general idea was to protect the head from a fall of 2 metres or less at a speed of 5 mph or less. The tests referenced above seem to support that, broadly.

I have yet to hear of a reputable study anywhere in the world which shows a reduction of head injury or fatality as a result of compulsory helmet wearing. The Dutch seem to manage quite well without them.

I usually wear one, partly because my wife likes me to and I don't want to cause her unnecessary worry, and partly because in some weather conditions it is more comfortable to do so. I never put one on thinking it will protect me from significant injury.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've never worn a helmet. Part of the attraction of cycling, to me, is the feeling of freedom. Of silently gliding through the countryside, with the wind in my hair...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure