What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 12/06

Comments

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,092 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hi Saturday Savers,
    You know what? It's a proper sunny day....even up here in the murkey East Midlands! Not much to report today:
    *NSD. Mr f had to work this morning & it"s too hot to walk into town & I didn't want to pay for the bus.
    *New washer plumbed in. Decided to make best use of excellent drying weather so have made a start on the backlog of laundry already.
    *Baked a cake to take to my Dad tomorrow.
    *Baked cheese scones.....hashed 3 different recipes together & have finally come up with nice cheesy scones which rise well. Taking some for Mum (her favourite)....have frozen the rest for picnics, breakfasts, etc.
    *Made crumble mix plus took last of last year's blackberries & apple out of freezer as told parents I'll do dessert tomorrow. Everyone loves crumble & it's a no-spend choice.
    *Attempted 1st ever sourdough loaf using contents of my evil jar. Felt very unconfident as dough was v badly behaved but it worked out ok & mr f loves it & says I need to biy a proper proving basket...In the interest of saving money, I used something Id already got.but the dough tried to climb out (like the children's story 'The Rascally Cake!')
    *Washed hair & left to dry naturally.
    *Wateted veggies & Christmas tree.
    *Now sitting in my deckchair (which cat wants more than anything) reading 3 nice magazines I was given.
    *Mr f's cooking.night. He's making a veggie spag bol & has just informed me he will be making extra for the freezer.
    Have a good weekend all,
    F xx
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    foxgloves wrote: »
    FVD - I know you have a phobia about caterpillars, & I understand completely because I have pretty bad arachnophobia, but before you spray them, do bear in mind that they are a huge food source for birds. At this time of year, caterpillars are regularly fed to chicks & will be an important part of their food & moisture. It's why I don't use slug pellets. They're a damn nuisance but we just have too many birds, frogs & a hedgehog so I tend to stick to other methods. I know you really don't like caterpillars though x

Yep, I don't use anything in the front garden as we have a bird box and a visiting hedgehog. I've put down slug pellets in the back garden though as it's walled/fenced to 6ft all round so no hedgehogs and the cats laying out there scare off the birds.

I did think I should have just dropped the leaves onto next doors bird feeder out the back instead of the buddlea, I'll keep an eye out tomorrow to see if there are any more before I do anything too drastic. I cope a lot better with them since my treatment and allowed one to stay last year but there were just so many of them, (though presumably he was the only uneaten survivor of an equal amount last year!)
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • FatVonD
    Panic averted, they were rose sawfly larvae and wouldn't have grown much bigger.

I had a cold bath and then cooked roast dinner, the Sainsbugs roast potatoes weren't a patch on my own even if they were only 20p :rotfl:

Tomorrow I'm out with my mum for her birthday, we're taking her chrome book in to attempt to get the software installed for her new printer then we're going to go to the garden centre for a bite to eat in the cafe and then bingo in the evening.

I didn't get as much done today as I'd hoped on account of the heat :eek: The bathroom is cleaned though and I've sorted the washing into piles so the urgently needed stuff will get done at least and the stuff that can wait can, well, wait :D

I'm going to start making a list of things I need to do on my forthcoming week off, the new dishwasher is already being delivered/installed, I'll try to get DS booked in for another theory test and I want to change our GP to one closer to home so there's a start...

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Morning all :hello: anonthr beautiful day here so intend to spend it outside with family :D DD gas party to go to first, held my nerve in a shop yesterday and didn't buy a present as I was sure there would be something in the box but I'd not checked. There was :A card from my 10 fir a pound stash :D

Meals will be a picnic and then something light for tea. Other things:
    Plant out last of flowers and do some weeding
    Water plants tonight when cooler
    Somewhere local and free for a picnic
    All washing outside, including my thick dressing gown and DD winter coat
    Some number crunching tonight, just to see where significant overpayments will get us
    Plan what to do on my week off, week after next to make it as productive as possible
    Check for surveys and FPL.

Enjoy the sunshine peeps.
  • Twins
    Twins Posts: 346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning all!

Wow, how hot was last night? It felt like heat was coming out of the bed it was that hot, very uncomfortable sleeping and I suspect tonight will be the same :( I need an AC unit in the bedroom I keep telling DH :rotfl: Looking at 32 degrees down here today± Does anybody have a Dyson fan and are they any good at cooling?

Plans today are:

* Clean windows in preparation of getting our curtains back from dry cleaners
    * Get some washing on and put outside in garden to dry
    * Have to pop to Sainsburys for a few bits
    * Order Revoult card to put our Euro's spending money on for hols
    * Really wanted to get in a home workout but it's too hot!
    * Have to do a bit of ironing in this heat :( Kids need uniforms for final week at school
    * Maybe do some Swag survey, need to start building my points up again
    * Set up standing orders to creditors and phone the last creditor to get their banking details... i wonder if they'll be open on a Sunday?

Enjoy your Sunday everyone x
  • Twins
    Twins Posts: 346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Some number crunching tonight, just to see where significant overpayments will get us

Purps, I did that last night. It's called Snowball calculator. Below is the site I used and added in all my creditors and what over payment I could make each month and then it gave me the monthly amount I would pay each creditor to helps clear the debt quicker.
    If I stick to the amounts this tool produced I could be debt free in just over a year! Have a look and see if this helps:

https://financialmentor.com/calculator/debt-snowball-calculator
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Didn't get to bed until 3am, woke up at 7.30am:eek:
    As soon as missing kitty now home got wind of someone awake she went into meltdown (I'm sure she suffers from food distress if food is late after her adventures)
    Fortunately DD was up requiring toast and fed them so I could have abit more of a lie in, but ended up getting up in the end.
    Had a good night out last night, took a couple of raffle prizes and won some beautiful cupcakes in the raffle. Me and DD had one each for breakfast:A
    It's hot outside already so plans today include,
    Cat cleaning
    Washing out
    Bathroom cleaning
    And will try and run the hoover over downstairs
    Got ahead with my paperwork yesterday, so don't have to look at that until tomorrow.
    Might fire off one email later.
    Have bits that need using up in the fridge so it might mean a mini roast dinner later:T
    Have a good Sunday everyone x
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • FatVonD
    Morning all, I too woke around 7am but then went back to sleep for another three hours so now I've got the dodgy-neck-nerve-related headache I always get if I spend too long in bed.

I've fed the cats and watered the garden as I won't be around this afternoon or evening, I'm just waiting to get into the bathroom but DS is obviously feeling the heat as he's in the shower already!

I'm going to try a new aerosol foam 'hair refresher' which was half the price of hair dye and apparently has about six applications. I'm not expecting miracles to be honest as you only leave it on for three minutes! I love the grey streak in my hair when it is down in the winter but it looks like I'm grey all over when I tie it back!

I need to wrap my mum's birthday present, I gave her some money towards something she had already bought so this is just something small so she has something to open.

I'll pop into the middle sided Mr T on my way out to get more cat food and we also need drain unblocker as DS has been cutting his own hair over the sink :mad:

Have a lovely day everyone!

• princess_pea
    princess_pea Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi everyone,

It's been quite a productive week for us. Our awful neighbour has finally shut up after a visit from the housing association. I just hope it lasts as I've not felt anxious at all this week.

I'm in the middle of switching all my accounts to Nationwide, due to complete this week. It's going ok, although I'm still waiting for a card reader so I can get on to internet banking and set up a savings account. I withdrew the £50 I had left for food shopping from my old account so I didn't have to worry about not having access to anything when the switch happens. I bought lunch one day last week (grrrrr) and we went to Aldi yesterday for bits to see us through the week. Last night we went for a BBQ at a friend's house so we bought some burgers, buns, soft drinks and a trifle. I've got £15 left for essential food items to last until pay day on the 28th which should be ok as we've got lots in the freezer. Lots of NSDs next week!

My eBay items haven't sold so I'm going to set up a gumtree account and put them on there too. I also need to do some surveys as I want some Amazon vouchers for DH's birthday in August.

I've got 2 weeks of extra hours left at work and although the money has been welcome I'm looking forward to going back down to normal full-time hours!

That's all for now, I'm off to tackle ironing mountain. Enjoy the gorgeous weather :beer:
    DFD 7/3/2016
    Mortgage Free January 2048 June 2032
    Long-Term Savings Pot £8750
    DS welcomed 12/2/20 <3
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    princess_pea if you ever want any more ironing........mount ironing Everest always seems present at my house......in fact it's slowly turning into 2 mountains....I can ship it ur way!!

My advice with the neighbour aswell is if he starts again, get straight back onto the housing association and keep making ur self known. The more u let them know, the more they keep a file of complaints in case they need to keep action. Unfortunately my mum has had it both sides of her, and they just kept on the housing associations back. One neighbour who 'backdoored' her partner in, there is now an injunction out against him and he is currently in prison aswell.
    It's stressful I know, but def make ur self heard. Hopefully u won't have anymore trouble with him.

Decided to be practical. Not as good a bargain as FVD roasties, DD had picked up some YS to 50p.
    Rather than have a mini roast, as there were bits that needed using up in the fridge, thru them all in the oven( not the best idea when so hot:o) and some straggly bits from the freezer, to make lunch today and there are left over bits to chop up into a stir fry-I think this has got to be one of DD all time favourite meals.....a leftovers stirfry:T
    Apart from cat litter and cat food, we are pretty good for food stocks, happy that I am so under with my grocery budget that I'm going to buy my wallpaper on Tuesday for operation back bedroom.......still cannot find any quirky lighting though:D
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family