I dont like toothpaste

Hi
I dont like toothpaste .. its too minty, I dont like the foam and I just dont like brushing my teeth with it.

What could I use instead?
''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood

Comments

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,959
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 15 May 2017 at 8:18PM
    Hi
    I dont like toothpaste .. its too minty, I dont like the foam and I just dont like brushing my teeth with it.

What could I use instead?

Hi Beautiful_Ravens

You could use bicarbonate of soda but not sure if you could actually just use that instead of toothpaste. I don't like the taste of toothpaste either as I find it too minty too so that's what I use in between using toothpaste. I put a bit of salt on my toothbrush with the bicarbonate of soda but not sure where I got that idea from. I have been doing that for years. They do put bicarbonate of soda in some toothpaste anyway.

Not the same subject but have you still got your hens? Just wondered as we haven't seen you on the ducks and hens thread for a while.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • You can get powdered toothpaste or you can buy kiddies toothpaste which comes in different flavours like strawberry

Also using an electric toothbrush means you only need a dab , less froth and mint in the gob :)
  • Hi edwink
    Thats just reminded me that my granddad used salt because he didnt like toothpaste. Ill try it and see, but too abrasive..?

Yes still got hens! Will post soon I expect :)
  • You can get powdered toothpaste or you can buy kiddies toothpaste which comes in different flavours like strawberry

Also using an electric toothbrush means you only need a dab , less froth and mint in the gob :)

Oh yeah! My mum used to use powdered stuff but I thought it was just for smokers. will have a look round thanks.
    Save
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,072
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Powdered ones are very abrasive. As are things like salt & bicarb.

There are many flavours of toothpaste out there, some very mild indeed. Just make sure the one you use has at least 1250ppm fluoride in it. (You will find that on the ingredients)
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'm not a toothpaste fan either but I like Corsodyl - it's not got a minty taste.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Kingfisher do a fennel toothpaste (both with fluoride or fluoride free) or there's this one I found via an online search which is both unflavoured and doesn't foam. Not cheap (vs some you can get that are minty) but cheaper than a trip to the dentist i'm sure.

http://dentaldirect.co.uk/oranurse-unflavoured-toothpaste.html
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Grinding some fishbones, shells and using a stick to work them over your teeth is a traditional alternative to toothpaste.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As a 15 year old, I once got drunk on some very cheap mint-flavoured liqueur and couldn't face anything minty for a good few years!

I found that Colgate did a "herb" flavour toothpaste.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Colgate-6001067021452-Herbal-Toothpaste-100ml/dp/B0010YRJRC

(Probably available a lot cheaper elsewhere.)
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Oranurse toothpaste is available at boots and online. It is unflavoured and non foaming and was developed for those on the autistic spectrum that find toothpaste hard to tolerate. http://www.oranurse.co.uk/

Aldi do herbalux toothpaste which has a liquorice type taste and there are many children's toothpastes out there but check , as toothsmith says, their fluoride content.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure