State pension forecast

Options
After reading some threads on this forum, I logged on to the gov website and looked at my most recent state pension forecast.

I have had forecasts in the past which arrived through the post showing the number of years I paid full NICs. However, the computer showed this information broken down, and I think one of the years may be wrong as I was in full-time education aged under 19 (I turned 19 in March, so was only 19 for one month).

Do I literally have to be under 19 for the complete year, or will being 19 for one month be enough to make the whole year incomplete?

Also, it says on the website that if you want to correct your NI record you have to send evidence - it was so long ago (1978 to 79) that I don't think I have any evidence.

Does anyone have this level of detailed knowledge of NI contributions?

Comments

• Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When your birthday fell would make no difference. The old rule that you should fall under gave 3 years of 'free' NI credit for the tax years in which you turned 16, 17 and 18.
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    do you not have enough years without worrying about this particular year when you were 19 ?
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have 31 years. I took early retirement before it increased to 35 years.
  • Annie1960
    Options
    Triumph13 wrote: »
    When your birthday fell would make no difference. The old rule that you should fall under gave 3 years of 'free' NI credit for the tax years in which you turned 16, 17 and 18.

Thanks for the clarification, I thought it went up to 19 as long as you were in education.
  • Annie1960
    Options
    I've just checked my record again and I have 2 years credited to me, the year I turned 17 and the year I turned 18. I was still at school then, but continued in education the following year with no credit.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,820 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    I've just checked my record again and I have 2 years credited to me, the year I turned 17 and the year I turned 18. I was still at school then, but continued in education the following year with no credit.

I'm the same age as you - I'm not an expert but I think you should have got a credit for the year you turned 16 as well. You didn't get credits for being in full time education beyond the age of 18. (there is now a credit for being on certain governement approved training courses that don't last more than a year).

However, it may be immaterial anyhow - what does your pension forecast predict you'll get ? and does it give a COPE amount ?
  • Annie1960
    edited 19 March 2017 at 10:57AM
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    I'm the same age as you - I'm not an expert but I think you should have got a credit for the year you turned 16 as well. You didn't get credits for being in full time education beyond the age of 18. (there is now a credit for being on certain governement approved training courses that don't last more than a year).

However, it may be immaterial anyhow - what does your pension forecast predict you'll get ? and does it give a COPE amount ?

It gives a COPE amount that is well below the amount I currently get from my Civil Service pension. Pension is 121.38.

EDIT: I have just gone back and clicked on the 'view details' link for the year I turned 16, and they have credited me with 102 weeks of NI. Must have been a long year! When I count up all the years manually, counting this year as 2 years, it all adds up, so mystery solved.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pension is £121.38.

Your State Pension Forecast is £121.38?

Had you thought of voluntary contributions to increase your state pension?

https://www.royallondon.com/Global/documents/GoodWithYourMoney/TOPPING-UP-YOUR-STATE-PENSION-GUIDE.pdf
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,820 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    It gives a COPE amount that is well below the amount I currently get from my Civil Service pension. Pension is 121.38.

In that case, your 'starting amount' as calculated by the Pension Service as at 6/4/16 (being the higher of the amounts as calcuated under the 'old rules' and 'new rules') will have been based on the old rules. As only 30 years was needed for a full basic pension under the old rules, and you say you definitely have 31, whether they have included the year you turned 16 or not is immaterial.

However, as xylophone says above , you can potentially increase that £121.38 by around £4.45 a week for each additional post April 2016 year you get prior to your state pensione date (check out his link for more details)
  • Annie1960
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    In that case, your 'starting amount' as calculated by the Pension Service as at 6/4/16 (being the higher of the amounts as calcuated under the 'old rules' and 'new rules') will have been based on the old rules. As only 30 years was needed for a full basic pension under the old rules, and you say you definitely have 31, whether they have included the year you turned 16 or not is immaterial.

However, as xylophone says above , you can potentially increase that £121.38 by around £4.45 a week for each additional post April 2016 year you get prior to your state pensione date (check out his link for more details)

So even if they have used the 'old' rules to calculate my amount, I can still increase my amount by making extra payments under the 'new' rules?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure