Financial link

Options
Hi all,

My fiance and I have been saving to buy a house soon. I have a previous bankruptcy and repossession but he has a great credit history. We had considered getting a mortgage in his name only so that my history doesn't adversely affect him. However the mortgage advisor we have been dealing with thinks we may be accepted by Nationwide. My concern is that if we are declined will we then be financially linked or does this only happen when you actually open a joint account/Mortgage?

If we are declined together we would go back to the original plan of him applying on his own but I don't want to ruin his chances!

Thanks in advance,
Anna

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

A financial association is only made on your credit files when you actually hold a joint account or mortgage, not purely from attempting an application.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • hodge263
    hodge263 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks very much for the quick response James much appreciated
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    hodge263 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My fiance and I have been saving to buy a house soon. I have a previous bankruptcy and repossession but he has a great credit history. We had considered getting a mortgage in his name only so that my history doesn't adversely affect him. However the mortgage advisor we have been dealing with thinks we may be accepted by Nationwide. My concern is that if we are declined will we then be financially linked or does this only happen when you actually open a joint account/Mortgage?

If we are declined together we would go back to the original plan of him applying on his own but I don't want to ruin his chances!

Thanks in advance,
    Anna

If you've been living together you also need to ensure a utility or phone company hasn't created an illegal association. They are well-known for doing so.
  • hodge263
    Options
    Thanks gingerbob. We currently live with my parents so don't have any utility bills in our names.
  • sonstream
    sonstream Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

A financial association is only made on your credit files when you actually hold a joint account or mortgage, not purely from attempting an application.

James
    @natdebtline

this is incorrect a joint application would create a financial association
  • hodge263
    Options
    Ah, now I'm very confused! Can anyone else shed any light on this please?
  • sonstream
    sonstream Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    hodge263 wrote: »
    Ah, now I'm very confused! Can anyone else shed any light on this please?

have a look here https://help.creditexpert.co.uk/help/sv635/Credit_report/financial_associations
  • hodge263
    Options
    Oh dear, would it be wise to avoid a joint application then? I'm scared of ruining my partner's chances of getting credit! I know there is a chance we may be accepted together but if we do get rejected we were relying on him then applying on his own. Surely once he is linked to me he will be refused?
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    It beggars belief. This from the Experian website:

Examples of a financial associate:

A person you have a joint credit card with

There is no such thing as a joint credit card. And yet, here we have the self-appointed custodians of your personal financial data thinking that there is. The website also states that two names on a utility account doesn't create a financial association. Well Experian, if this is true why do you let these companies create them?

As for a joint application creating an association, I must admit I didn't know about that scandal, but, according to Experian, yes it does.

Of course, from the above, it appears we can't rely on anything Experian says, which is not surprising since a large part of their business revolves around pedalling lies (bogus financial links, bogus address links, collection of financial records without consent, libellous credit data, etc etc.).

OP, perhaps you should ask Nationwide if they'll file a (bogus) association if, or when, you make a joint application.
  • hodge263
    Options
    Thanks, I will ask the mortgage advisor to check with Nationwide before we decide what to do. I knew buying a house after bankruptcy would be stressful but it's far worse than I imagined! Spoken to three different advisors about various things and been given conflicting information from all of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure