When to report bad parenting?

What are peeps views on this? Women a few doors down is pure chav and makes a bloody racket, obviously the rent is being paid for by the Council. Anyhow, she's got two girls of maybe 4 and 6 who she screams demands at all day - her voice carries 50m easily.

Today, shouts to 'get in' were ignored, resulting in 4 or 5 very audible blows to the child whilst still in the garden followed by much wailing.

What would be the threshold to tip off NSPCC or social services?

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    social services, no messing.

These poor kids dont stand a chance do they, unless its stopped now they will be doing exactly the same thing
    to their kids in 20 years time.

And OP in fairness, its not necessarily so that this behaviour is because she is on benefits and having her rent paid.
    There are bad parents in all walks of life, however much they work, or dont, and however much money they have.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    thats the threshold hun - phone social services. youre concerned about physical and mental violence. so much so you posted on here. so phone them.
  • MyRubyRed
    MyRubyRed Posts: 941 Forumite
    meritaten wrote: »
    thats the threshold hun - phone social services. youre concerned about physical and mental violence. so much so you posted on here. so phone them.
    Totally agree. And good on you for being concerned :T
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would agree. I am not against the occasional smack but this is ovbiously not the case here. Contact social services or perhaps the NSPCC or childline could point you in the right direction.
  • jillyjacks
    jillyjacks Posts: 443 Forumite
    you can phone social services direct and not leave your name just google your local area to find out the number.....once you have reported it they have a duty to investigate
  • xmaslolly76
    xmaslolly76 Posts: 3,974 Forumite
    If you are at all worried i would call them now, better a concerned neighbour reports and nothing is found than the poor kids are beaten daily with no body bothering. I have smacked my kids on very rare occasions but its one short sharp smack on the botton or the hand not numerous blows it sounds very out of order to me.

If you do report her i wouldnt mention her being a chav or having everything paid for her it could make you sound like its a personal dislike of the woman more than concern for the welfare of the children although i can understand where you are coming from if she truely is that bad.
    :jFriends are like fabric you can never have enough:j
  • choccymoose
    choccymoose Posts: 488 Forumite
    If you have any concerns you can always ring your duty office and ask a what if scenario, then they will give you advice without you having to give exact details then make the decision from there..
    but in all honesty I would agree with the other posters, you were concerned enough to ask on here!
    If that is what is going on outdoors what could be going on inside. Write down what you have seen and heard and keep a log of dates and times, so that you have it to hand for SS keep if factual.
    'we don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing'

• nottslass_2
    nottslass_2 Posts: 1,765 Forumite
    amcluesent wrote: »
    What are peeps views on this? Women a few doors down is pure chav and makes a bloody racket, obviously the rent is being paid for by the Council. Anyhow, she's got two girls of maybe 4 and 6 who she screams demands at all day - her voice carries 50m easily.

Today, shouts to 'get in' were ignored, resulting in 4 or 5 very audible blows to the child whilst still in the garden followed by much wailing.

What would be the threshold to tip off NSPCC or social services?

Obviously you must inform the authorities if you genuinely feel the children are being physically abused.

Can't quite see why the council paying the rent or the fact she's "a chav" has anything to do with it though...............
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Don't forget the noise. Chav messing up the sunday afternoon.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    poor kids...tell someone too many people turn a blind eye
    onwards and upwards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills