Reality Check...

Options

Comments

• reality_check
    Options
    Final point.....my daughter passed all her exams!! :T Remember I was going to buy her a gift...thought twice about it and just said "Well done, that great!!" no gift needed, and don't want to start buying gifts, these exams are twice a year!! I'll get her a graduation gift lol
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • reality_check
    Options
    Bathrooms cleaned and stopped for a tea break...if only my work was s generous with breaks like I am, just shows I could never work from home! Start at 10ish...work for an hour, break for half an hour....

Anyway, found this website -
    http://www.marshu.com/articles/calculate-percentage-increase-decrease-percent-calculator.php

And can put your start debt and current debt in and it gives you a percentage. I am sure others know how to do this with a calculator, but I don't lol plus so much easier!

I started with: £18,675.63 (credit card, overdraft & loan) and to date I have reduced by 8.9% which isn't great but at least it has went down! Come pay day next week I will pay off another £1000 and talks me to a reduction of 14.3% which sounds much better!! And then I am pretty certain of July's commission coming in at £1000 so takes me to 19.6% of the way there!!
  • AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    Congratulations to your daughter! I have never gotten gifts for passing exams, which was frustrating when I knew people with wealthy parents who got paid a certain amount of money for each grade, but I think in the long term it has taught me that success is its own reward. Achieving my goals is more important than gaining recognition or monetary reward. Though I did buy myself an expensive graduation gift, my excuse is that it's symbolic and reminds me of all I went through to get my degree.

Come on, join the light side and go vegan! ;)
    Rainy day fund — 210/1000 Emergency fund — 1019/1500
    Loan — 424/19,224 = 2.2% Fun fund: 1/100 Credit card balance — 0
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm afraid I like dairy, eggs, fish and yes, meat, too much to become Vegan. We have several non-meat meals a week but they probably do contain either dairy or eggs.
    I didn't get any financial reward or incentive for passing exams, and haven't done that with my kids either. DS1 had a final exam today and got the rich reward of £6 to go and get chinese food for a late lunch to celebrate, savvy shoppers that they are they got chinese buffet boxes for £3 and 30p drinks from B&M, so he gave me back £2.70. I love that they all think that way so young in their lives.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• reality_check
    Options
    I never got anything for exams, partly because I never really passed any :rotfl: but we did give money for GCSE's and A levels - don't know why that started but it seemed to be the thing to do - most likely paid out from an overdraft!

I am working today - and it feels horrific to be here on a Saturday!! Finish at 6, then home to do nothing so at least I am not spending any money. My sister asked me to go out for lunch yesterday, told her I had no money, she offered to pay (this is rare - she is even worse than me with money) so I took her up on her offer and had a lovely 2 course lunch then we went somewhere else for tea and cake and didn't cost me a penny - I never even took my purse out with me.

I would like to build up to being about 80% vegan with my diet. I don't think I could give up leather or make up items or skin care etc...I am eating Vegan mostly today! Had some porridge made with almond milk with some pomegranate seeds, blueberries and coconut for breakfast, brought some carrot sticks and cucumber, nuts and an apple for a snack and then lunch I made some quinoa and roasted some butternut squash, sweet potato and carrot cut into little cubes with some coconut oil and chilli, spices and herbs - it tastes lovely! Currently sipping on some hot water and lemon - I really do enjoy eating healthy, should try more often as recently I've been slipping. Dinner however is not vegan as having chilli, rice and sour cream because it's already made...baby steps!

Sooooo turns out I was right about my step son! He came round last night and that is him back for good with no money! Well, he hasn't declared the no money part claims he has money but I don't believe it....hasn't had a job for 2 months and has left clothes down there as "didn't fit in his bag" so I think he has just left the place and not paid rent....of course this was denied! He has a few potential jobs lined up, but I have heard this all before!! He was only in the door half an hour and asked if he could make something to eat....he is a bottomless pit! I gave him £20 when he was leaving - from dog walking money that I will replace next week.

My ex husband and daughter are back on Sunday...so will see how long they last together! But I can def see him moving in with me! He isn't biologically my son, but I would always treat him like my own. My ex husband isn't my daughters dad I met him when she was 5 and she has called him dad and then he already had a son from a previous relationship but has been in my life since he was 8, so we're not the conventional family...but who is these days!

I don't half ramble on and on....well done is you made it to the end!!
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's your diary, you ramble on if you want to. Especially if it helps all the things to be put in perspective. You do sound like you have a lot on your plate, and how lovely that you manage to keep all these relationships sane. Hope work passes quickly and you have a nice evening. Your mention of yummy food and the chili has made me hungry.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have a very blended family. We were both divorced and each had children. Our combined lot is three boys, three girls. Add all the exs, their parents and grand parents plus my ex is remarried to a woman with girls, so there's stepsisters and all their children. My husband and I have had Thanksgiving with my exMIL's family without my ex present. She has had Xmas with us without him present. She doesn't like his wife and she really likes my husband. The ex plus his wife have had Thanksgiving with us and all the kids plus others present. It's about the kids. We all love them and have made do with getting along. (Although I did sue the ex once for back child support:D)

You will have to put on your 'tough love' persona to help this kid get sorted out.
    1) Must get a job
    2) Must get a job
    3) Must get a job
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • reality_check
    reality_check Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 June 2016 at 1:56PM
    Options
    Feels like I have never left work!!! I know I was off on Friday but being in on Saturday and then Sunday off still feels like a one day weekend....so it's not even lunch time and I am counting down the minutes until Friday!! I really do wish my life away, between praying for the weekend and for payday to come!

Don't you worry Mila, I will definitely be applying the tough love approach!! In the past he has always had money in the bank so no motivation to work but now it has ran out it's time to get into the real world... When he was 18 he was given £75,000 and in 4 years it is mostly gone....Well he did buy his Nan's council house at £30,000 and a car but the rest spent on travelling/holidays/partying/clothes. There was no telling him and this was how he was dealing with grief by blocking it out I think, but now he knows it's time to grow up...I am hoping!!

No spend day ahead...working and then going home to walk the dog, have dinner and an early night...I am so tired today.

Payslips are in so I have new amended totals.....

Credit cards -
    Barclay (part 1) - £900
    Barclay (part 2) - £3100
    Santander - £2000
    Virgin - £2850

Loan
    £7000

Total: £15,850!!! :j 15.1% paid back.

Paid my daughter back, and could always get this back if things change with my Dad....Going to focus on a mix of paying credit cards and some to my Dad incase the worst does happen, plus probably makes sense to have an even(ish) split of them both.

That's me in the 15's and the % is more than the other day because I never took of minimum payments to credit cards. I changed my Barclaycard (part1) back to £100 direct debit from £175. I did plan the £175 so that come December was nothing to pay so means in December I will need to pay an extra £300 before any interest is added on but I am fine with this as wanted to pay off a debt and realistically I need the extra £75 a month in cash to prevent running out...

Food budgets and Petrol budgets sorted and spending is less this month as had to pay my £150 towards the caravan in July. I'm always on a high for a few days after pay day then deflated as nothing else can be done until the next pay day! I am instead going to focus on trying to come under budget, sticking to budgets and going to try my hardest to sell 3 things this month. 3 things might seem very little, but I have nothing to sell! I live very minimally, since I Marie Kondo'd my house and personal possessions...and everything I have I love...but there must be some stuff!!! It doesn't matter how much I make, aslong as I make something....

Happy Monday everyone xx
  • reality_check
    reality_check Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 June 2016 at 9:21AM
    Options
    It is officially pay day!! That's all the money allocated to each area and money left for my direct debits to come out. Last month I never spent a penny on credit cards, but I did have to use money from my insurance fund to pay for my car tax. This month money is TIGHT! I have paid the £1000 back to my daughter and also paid £150.00 for my share for the caravan. I can't replace the £100 back to the insurance fund but I do have a £100 contingency fund that I am hoping not to use but it is there if needed and will use that/next months wage to replace the £100. I have allocated £75 for 4 weeks food....extreme I know! But....I do have at least 2 probably 3 weeks of dinners that only need a few fresh bits so it's a challenge...need to make some soup for lunches as I've ran out and don't want to slip back to old ways. I am scraping the £5 until July plan, my new plan is £75 in 4 weeks.

I am finishing work at lunch today, weather is miserable so going to go home and chill out, can't wait...I am so tired this week, for absolutely no reason. Went a run with the dog this morning so no gym tonight. Might have a look and try find something that I can sell, still don't know what. Tonight I am going to attempt to make falafel. I have quite a few tins of chickpeas and all the spices so going to make them and make some hummus and have them in a pitta with some salad - hope they work out, if they do then that can be another lunch alternative to soup.

Changed days for me on pay day....the old me would have been straight online buying things, bought an expensive lunch in work and probably be going out for dinner...so glad this isn't me anymore.

Work is quiet so off to read some diaries xxx
  • note3
    note3 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh could you pls post your receipe for falafels and hummus? ?

You sound so organised this mth...very impressed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport