What do banks consider a large loan?

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    "If everyone just gave polite and professional replies directly answering any questions they were asked without any debate then this forum would be very boring."

This is a remarkable thing to say.

This isn't a forum for entertainment. It's to help people in need.

It wouldn't be boring, if everyone gave polite and professional replies - it would be useful, mature and enjoyable.

You made a mistake. Time to acknowledge it and move on, and hopefully change the way you approach things in future.

Actually this forum is for entertainment, I get entertainment by reading other people's opinions on subjects, learning new money saving tips, giving my opinions and knowledge when I feel it's appropriate.

I definetly won't be changing my replying style just because you don't like it!. I'm happy to make some assumptions based on your financial situation and give my input. Even if I'm wrong in my assumptions it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I may have made some erroneous statements in my posts but the general theme of them still stands.

I have given you my opinion of the best way to handle the situation and pay the least interest so it's up to you if you want to follow it or not.

Also don't forget there is nothing wrong with thinking you have poor money management and need to improve because it means your more likely to think about what your doing and research financial products before committing. The worst attitude to have is to think your perfect at managing money because your more likely to think you know it all and jump into taking out unsuitable products. Just like alot of people did with PPI!.
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 October 2016 at 11:36AM
    Also don't forget there is nothing wrong with thinking you have poor writing skills and need to improve because it means you're more likely to think about what you're writing and make sure you're not being rude/obnoxious/impolite before commenting. The worst attitude to have is to think you're perfect at conveying your opinion because you're more likely to think you know it all and keep commenting even when the OP has made it crystal clear that he thinks your writing style is very poor and discounts your opinion. Just like a lot of people do on these these threads!

There, I've brought some balance :)
    takman wrote: »
    Also don't forget there is nothing wrong with thinking you have poor money management and need to improve because it means your more likely to think about what your doing and research financial products before committing. The worst attitude to have is to think your perfect at managing money because your more likely to think you know it all and jump into taking out unsuitable products. Just like alot of people did with PPI!.
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post
    muhandis wrote: »
    Also don't forget there is nothing wrong with thinking you have poor writing skills and need to improve because it means you're more likely to think about what you're writing and make sure you're not being rude/obnoxious/impolite before commenting. The worst attitude to have is to think you're perfect at conveying your opinion because you're more likely to think you know it all and keep commenting even when the OP has made it crystal clear that he thinks your writing style is very poor and discounts your opinion. Just like a lot of people do on these these threads!

There, I've brought some balance :)

Exactly there is always room for improvement and that's why we post on this forum so our opinions what we think we know can be judged by other people!. If the OP wants to dismiss my opinion on the best thing to do in their situation because they don't like my writing style then that's up to them!. But I would much prefer to discuss every aspect of my posts and not just the tone they are written in.

But I do like to write in a style that strongly states my opinion in a clear way and doesn't beat about the bush. This may come across as rude and arrogant but I still like it because it is very effective at starting a debate just like has happened in this thread.
  • muhandis
    edited 11 October 2016 at 1:27PM
    Exactly my point. There is always a way to convey your opinion without labelling/judging (wrongly) the person who has asked for an opinion based on little/no knowledge of the whole picture. And also knowing when to move on if someone clearly attaches no value to what you're saying and repeatedly states the same.

You might like to "start a debate" and come across as "rude and arrogant" but the OP (on this thread) has clearly said what he is looking for and that's not it.
    But I would much prefer to discuss every aspect of my posts and not just the tone they are written in.

But I do like to write in a style that strongly states my opinion in a clear way and doesn't beat about the bush. This may come across as rude and arrogant but I still like it because it is very effective at starting a debate just like has happened in this thread.
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post
    muhandis wrote: »
    Exactly my point. There is always a way to convey your opinion without labelling/judging (wrongly) the person who has asked for an opinion based on little/no knowledge of the whole picture. And also knowing when to move on if someone clearly attaches no value to what you're saying and repeatedly states the same.

You might like to "start a debate" and come across as "rude and arrogant" but the OP (on this thread) has clearly said what he is looking for and that's not it.

I like to debate about money saving ideas but not so much about the best use of the English language. I don't like to come across as rude and arrogance I said I like to present my opinions in a clear and concise way which I find to be most effective. It being interpreted as rude and arrogant is simply a flaw of that particular type of writing style and not what I'm purposely trying to convey. But I'm not surprised you misunderstand what I'm saying because I do have a "very poor writing style" on these forums unfortunately ;).

But one thing I often do on here is continue to reply to people who quote my posts if I have something to say. So the OP may attach no value to what I'm saying but if they want to reply directly to me then they shouldn't be surprised if I reply back!.

The OP may disagree that they have poor money management skills but from the information they have provided I still conclude that they do. Some of the key indicators are:
    -Wanting a loan for 10k when they could do with 7.5k
    -Looking to apply for a loan now when the money isn't required till next year.
    -Not exploring other cheaper methods of borrowing before thinking about a loan (such as 0% money transfer cards)

But the first point is a big one. You should never borrow more money than you need because your just paying unnecessary interest on the extra amount. So the initial question they asked rings alarm bells because it doesn't matter how much a "large loan" is because you should only borrow what you need, so just apply for that.

But if the OP chooses to ignore me then that's fine because like I said earlier they are the ones who are effected by this and not me.
  • muhandis
    edited 11 October 2016 at 2:46PM
    "I don't like to come across as rude and arrogance"

Happy to hear that, I was worried.

"in a clear and concise way which I find to be most effective"

Maybe you really do think that. Clearly not for the OP who created this thread though.

"I do have a "very poor writing style" on these forums unfortunately ;)."

I'm glad you agree.

"from the information they have provided I still conclude that they do"

That's YOUR opinion based on YOUR interpretation of what little he has said and YOUR imagination filling in the blanks. And he has said that your assumptions are wrong and probably still concludes that you're being ignorant.

"But if the OP chooses to ignore me..."

There's no 'if' here, he has repeatedly said that your opinion is of no value to him.
    I like to debate about money saving ideas but not so much about the best use of the English language. I don't like to come across as rude and arrogance I said I like to present my opinions in a clear and concise way which I find to be most effective. It being interpreted as rude and arrogant is simply a flaw of that particular type of writing style and not what I'm purposely trying to convey. But I'm not surprised you misunderstand what I'm saying because I do have a "very poor writing style" on these forums unfortunately ;).

But one thing I often do on here is continue to reply to people who quote my posts if I have something to say. So the OP may attach no value to what I'm saying but if they want to reply directly to me then they shouldn't be surprised if I reply back!.

The OP may disagree that they have poor money management skills but from the information they have provided I still conclude that they do. Some of the key indicators are:
    -Not exploring other cheaper methods of borrowing before thinking about a loan (such as 0% money transfer cards)

But the first point is a big one. You should never borrow more money than you need because your just paying unnecessary interest on the extra amount. So the initial question they asked rings alarm bells because it doesn't matter how much a "large loan" is because you should only borrow what you need, so just apply for that.

But if the OP chooses to ignore me then that's fine because like I said earlier they are the ones who are effected by this and not me.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Maurice-Moss-Eating-Popcorn-The-IT-Crowd.gif
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • And from what you've written, it looked like you were in need.
    The thing is, what you are writing makes you sound like so many other people on here in the past who have then got into difficulties from having that frame of mind.
    You may well be different from them, that's true. We don't know you. But I think it would be somewhat amiss of people to read what sounds like someone about to get themselves into further trouble and stay silent without giving opinions.

I understand and agree - but if that were the case, all they need do is ask.
  • takman wrote: »
    Actually this forum is for entertainment, I get entertainment by reading other people's opinions on subjects, learning new money saving tips, giving my opinions and knowledge when I feel it's appropriate.

I definetly won't be changing my replying style just because you don't like it!. I'm happy to make some assumptions based on your financial situation and give my input. Even if I'm wrong in my assumptions it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I may have made some erroneous statements in my posts but the general theme of them still stands.

I have given you my opinion of the best way to handle the situation and pay the least interest so it's up to you if you want to follow it or not.

If you are entertained by judging people based on ignorant assumptions then that says more about you than I ever could.

One day, I hope, you'll grow up a little.

People who do need assistance on here don't need the likes of you, that's for sure.
  • takman wrote: »

On the previous page you will find a post, aimed at you, where I say this:

"I've not managed my money well this year but that is a short term issue on my part and not part of a wider problem."

As I say, time for you to step back and actually read what people are writing - you'll look less ignorant that way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure