The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Comments

• pete1976
    pete1976 Posts: 86 Forumite
    D1zzy wrote: »
    Variable Bonus
    Rate includes a variable BONUS of at least 1.65% payable for at least 12 months.

So could drop whenever to 1.65%

Ah yes thank you...I didn't read that bit properly and skipped straight to the interest rates page!
  • Anyone got any concerns about ING in view of their rather rubbish dealings with customers last year during the transfers from Kaupthing?
    Hi,
    I was one of the unfortunate customers transferred over to Ing from Kaupthing. They promised compensation for delay in receiving payments withdrawn from Kaupthing during Icelandic government crash.. Despite approx 20 requests,I did not receive a penny. I experienced appauling customer service,even when speaking to a manager. I had a fixed term deposit account with kaupthing which transferred to Ing,I had registered as a non tax payer,however Ing taxed me on interest. I contacted them,they were not interested,I have had to reclaim tax from inland revenue,7 weeks down the line,tax has still not been repaid. I closed my account with Ing ,too much stress.
  • Hi everyone. Maybe I am going a little CrAzY but has the Alliance and Leicester always needed a minimum £1000 starting deposit? I am sure this wasn't required last week when I read it?
  • Mr._H_2
    Mr._H_2 Posts: 488 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 August 2009 at 11:59AM
    Hi everyone. Maybe I am going a little CrAzY but has the Alliance and Leicester always needed a minimum £1000 starting deposit? I am sure this wasn't required last week when I read it?

No, you're not going crazy!

It used to be £1 minimum deposit, now the information page has conflicting statements. The "At a glance" box lists "Open with a minimum deposit of just £1,000 …", but a box to the side of that (top right) states "EARN 3.15% GROSS P.A./AER (variable) on balances between £1 …"

Odd. I guess the only way to clear up the confusion is to call A&L and ask.
  • Thanks! My girlfriend opened one last week after I recommended it to her. Then I looked again, and it was £1000 minimum which thankfully doesn't affect her but I didn't see before. Weird though to randomly change it to that...
  • pete1976
    pete1976 Posts: 86 Forumite
    Egg are now offering a savings account paying 3.25% including a FIXED bonus of 2% for the first year. Minimum deposit only £1 and there's no withdrawal conditions or penalties. I reckon all in all pretty much unbeatable at the moment.

As usual it's only for new money to Egg so if you've already got money in Egg you'l have to move it somewhere else then move it back into the new account.
  • boobbby
    boobbby Posts: 769 Forumite
    pete1976 wrote: »
    Egg are now offering a savings account paying 3.25% including a FIXED bonus of 2% for the first year. Minimum deposit only £1 and there's no withdrawal conditions or penalties. I reckon all in all pretty much unbeatable at the moment.

As usual it's only for new money to Egg so if you've already got money in Egg you'l have to move it somewhere else then move it back into the new account.

Now that is a problem.. my money left the old egg rubbish savings account (1.25%) and is now going back to the egg savings account which until yesterday was 2.8%... I wonder which rate I will get 2.8% or the new 3.25%. bet I have to send it out and back again !!
  • kaspin wrote: »
    Under top paying accounts the Ulster Bank at 3.46% seemed a good deal. However, I was unable to send off the on-line application form. Eventually, I discovered that their system doesn't like Mozilla Firefox - you have to use Internet Explorer! A shame for Linux users......:naughty:

I once tried and failed to open an account with Coventry BS because their online application system required Microsoft Internet Explorer - even though I had already been operating another Coventry account online in non-IE browsers for years. I nearly shut that latter account as well.

But that was years ago and I thought such problems were largely a thing of the past. Certainly, I successfully opened my Ulster account back in April using Firefox (albeit on Microsoft Windows).

Perhaps Ulster Bank have regressed since then? If so, perhaps that would explain Mikepcon's problem as well - they might have incorrectly recorded one of his answers for their assessment criteria ...
    Mikepcon wrote: »
    I applied for an Ulster Bank esavings a few weeks ago.
    They sent out the form for me to sign and I sent back the cheque about a week later.

Today I got a letter stating that I didnt meet the assessment criteria!!
    Related to the information I provided when I applied!
    How can they reject a savings account??

It just means I have now withdraw 10,000 from a savings account to cover the cheque, so I have had no interest on that money for 3 weeks.

Some companies can be pretty clueless sometimes ...
  • alanji wrote: »
    Apart from the doubt about how interest is calculated for any month you make a withdrawal, the initial deposit must be made by cheque (or transfer from another Ulster bank account) causing a loss of interest while the cheque clears. Also subsequent deposits must be by regular standing order (or transfer from another Ulster bank account).

And the Ulster "eSavings Plus" isn't the only account in the RBS group to have that requirement about subsequent deposits. There's at least one more such account at Ulster Bank, and at least one at NatWest.

So you either have to:
    • go through the hassle and environmental cost of opening an intermediate account (without the same requirement)
    • or try your luck with one-off deposits (I made a one-off deposit to one of these accounts before I realized this requirement, and I don't seem to have been punished in any way.)
    • or stretch the definition of a "regular standing order". What if you set up a standing order and cancel it after the first payment?
    • or get a more convenient account, where you really can just "dunk" your cash (the term used in the article).

Does anyone know why they do this?
  • chris1
    chris1 Posts: 582 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    boobbby wrote: »
    Now that is a problem.. my money left the old egg rubbish savings account (1.25%) and is now going back to the egg savings account which until yesterday was 2.8%... I wonder which rate I will get 2.8% or the new 3.25%. bet I have to send it out and back again !!
    It's confusing - the 2.8% account had a FIXED bonus rate of 1.55% and the new one has a FIXED bonus rate of 2% so you'd expect to have to move it again - the website however seems to imply that they're now both on 3.25% :confused:. When is fixed not fixed? Problem is, they could just as quickly put it back down again...

What do you think?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure