PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

slow cooker quick questions thread

Comments

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Overnight should be fine;)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi, skintchick :)

I've added your question onto our "quick questions" thread, and yes, overnight will be fine :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • CoD_2
    CoD_2 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Hi I am just about to buy a slow cooker, just wondered if i am making chicken casseroles / tagines/ curries etc is it better to use breasts or other cuts like thighs?
    As my neighbour said the thights on the bone have a better flavour and are cheaper.
    any opinions

I'd use thighs or portions, you do have to fish the bones out but the meat is much cheaper, there is much more flavour and its just nicer. you'll also get every little bit of chicken off the bone.
  • TNG
    TNG Posts: 6,930 Forumite
    PONDSAVER wrote:
    I have one too

I have only ever used my sc to do braising steak but would like to do a joint - do I add water to this?

Being a newbie, and not well versed in matters SC, i just stuck my lamb joint in with no water the other week - turned out fine. the juices from the meat kept it from drying.

HTH
    :dance:There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood :dance:
  • CoD_2
    CoD_2 Posts: 275 Forumite
    skintchick wrote:
    Carcass and water with herbs etc (inc the juices I collected fromt eh roasting pan) went into SC about 10pm on low. will overnight be enough to make stock or does it need longer??

I can;t put it on in the day tomorrow cos I am out of the house for 12 hours and that's a bit long to leave it unattended I feel. Will stick it in fridge until I get home.

you could get a timer plug to turn it off so it would sit hot, or to turn it on after a few hours (not if you've browned any of the meat)
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Hi - what brand of 3.5litre slow cooker should I get?
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • dronid
    dronid Posts: 599
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    CoD wrote:
    you could get a timer plug to turn it off so it would sit hot, or to turn it on after a few hours (not if you've browned any of the meat)
    I would really recommend not doing this! The slow cooker ceramic casserole cools down too slowly so the food ends up sitting around warm – perfect for food poisoning bacteria!:eek: Always, once you’ve cooked the food, transfer it as soon as possible to another container if you want to keep/freeze it. Likewise you shouldn’t load the food into it and put it on a timer to start.

It’s very difficult to really overcook with the slow cooker and I’ve left it on for 13-14 hours before. Overnight is usually fine. I normally do stock this way.

Also I’d also suggest always using the cheapest cuts of meat in the slow cooker – it’s what it was really made for. They always come out at least as tender as much more expensive cuts and have bags more flavour!:drool:

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
  • salthepal
    salthepal Posts: 425
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    TNG wrote:
    Being a newbie, and not well versed in matters SC, i just stuck my lamb joint in with no water the other week - turned out fine. the juices from the meat kept it from drying.

HTH

Did the lamb turn out a bit like the Greek Kleftico - meat very tender, moist and falling off the bone.
    I tend to cook this quite often in the oven on a very low heat but it would be easier to use a SC if it works well.

Sally
  • liz.._4
    liz.._4 Posts: 300 Forumite
    Got a turkey leg cheap today, any ideas on recipes please?
    :)
  • dronid
    dronid Posts: 599
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    liz.. wrote:
    Got a turkey leg cheap today, any ideas on recipes please?

How about coating it in spices and mustard powder or marinating it overnight in oil, lemon juice and spices, browning the outside off in a pan and slow cooking it with no liquid for about 8 hours on low. I do that with chicken thighs and drumsticks and they come out delish!

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure