Pet Insurance Cost Cutting System/MoneySavingExpert.com Discussion

Comments

• Anthillmob
    Anthillmob Posts: 11,780 Forumite
    aparently our vet keeps the tag and then if another appears they send them both off for testing.

*wonders if there are any other animal bits for sale on ebay*
    There's someone in my head, but it's not me
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    I can sell you the trimmings from the horses feet if you're interested. The farrier leaves them for us to clear up so we have quite a pile :D The dog likes to eat them too.... yum! _pale_ :D
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• Justicia
    Justicia Posts: 1,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Anthillmob wrote:
    aparently our vet keeps the tag and then if another appears they send them both off for testing.

*wonders if there are any other animal bits for sale on ebay*

Indeed, if they are like where I worked, they will have a whole cupboard's worth of weird and wonderful looking internal and external objects!! :) Quite the biology lesson!!
    Jay-Jay wrote:
    I can sell you the trimmings from the horses feet if you're interested. The farrier leaves them for us to clear up so we have quite a pile :DThe dog likes to eat them too.... yum! :pale: :D

That is diiiiisgusting!! :D
    "Part P" is not, and has never been, an accredited electrical qualification. It is a Building Regulation. No one can be "Part P qualified."

Forum posts are not legal advice; are for educational and discussion purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with a competent, qualified advisor.
  • boots_babe
    boots_babe Posts: 3,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You will still be able to get insurance, but pre-existing conditions will be excluded I'm afraid.

I hope your cat gets better soon I know how upsetting it can be
  • summerday
    summerday Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    Sorry but I suspect the other posters are prob right. The best thing you can do is put money aside each month so you have some savings to draw from if it comes to the worst. Hope it doesn't get too bad, I know how upsetting it is when your pets are ill.

Sarah.x
    Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams :)
  • weemee
    weemee Posts: 183 Forumite
    Tomthumb wrote:
    Which is the best one for insuring an African Grey Parrot? Does anyone know? TIA

Try http://www.exoticdirect.co.uk .

Regards
    WeeMee
  • maclean2
    maclean2 Posts: 709 Forumite
    The other firm in this field since 1980 odd are golden valley insurance - no personal knowledge but they are a small personally run and apparently very reputable firm.

0845 226 1303
  • I used to have insurance for my two cats from an insurance policy that we got from the breeders we bought from them. Really good policy, we only had to claim a couple of times but they even covered dental. Can't remember name.
    Worked out last year that the premiums had been rising and we could halve our insurance from £400 to £200 by going with Tesco. No dental but £200 more than covers it.
    Well...now I got my renewal today from Tesco and they say to keep their costs competitive they have introduced certain exlusions. One of these exclusions is no investigative work.
    What is investigative work?
    The one time we had to claim more than a negligible sum was when our big cat was having tummy problems and needed investigative work (I think it is?). It was xrays..turned out he had swallowed a small necklace. So he had to be operated. But from memory it was quite a bit of the bill so if it was just the operation we could claim once excess was in place and it only applied to the operation, it wouldn't be worth claiming.
    Or is that not investigative work?
    Anyone got any recommendations on other insurance companies?

Thanks.
  • wolfehouse
    wolfehouse Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    my daughter has cat insurance through sainsbury's because their price was competitive. I would look for one that promises a limit of so much per year and not per condition so if your cat develops some long term condition the cover will be lifelong. we also looked at pet pals and pet plan who work with cats protection.

I hope it is alright to mix related subjects but I have a sort of related question of my own. My daughter's cat has disappeared. How long should we keep on paying for the cat insurance? If she comes back in bad shape I assume we wouldn't be covered if we stop paying.
    Last time she disappeared a neighbour gave her back after a few days saying she was going to keep her and had named her 'daisy'...cheek since the cat is actually microchipped and all.
  • Justicia
    Justicia Posts: 1,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    now I got my renewal today from Tesco and they say to keep their costs competitive they have introduced certain exlusions. One of these exclusions is no investigative work.
    What is investigative work?

Using the Veterinary "definition" of the term, I would also assume that "investigative work" was a reference to blood/screening tests, X-rays to determine the cause of a symptom (and NOT routine for health screening or pre-operative)... Which, unless big changes have happened to pet insurance in the last few years, I find a little bit odd... :confused:

Can you contact them and ask them to elaborate? If so, I would be interested in hearing what they say to you :)

On the Tesco Finance website for Pet Insurance, it does not mention this clause in their FAQ's;
    What's not covered by Tesco Pet Insurance?
    As with all insurance, there are some exclusions. These include:

Treatment for any pre-existing conditions as defined by the Policy Document.
    Any illness or disease occurring within the first 14 days of cover.
    Any preventative or routine treatment such as flea treatment, neutering and vaccination, behavioural problems, pregnancy, dietary food, and dental treatment unless due to accidental external injury.

Please refer to the Policy Document for full details of what is and isn't covered.
    Source: http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/insurance/petins/faq.html#10
    Anyone got any recommendations on other insurance companies?

From a professional point of view, I would always recommend PetPlan for their full and speedy service to both their client and the Veterinary Surgery handling treatment (if necessary). But you would need to check that it covers what you want it to and also the price suits you ;)

:)
    "Part P" is not, and has never been, an accredited electrical qualification. It is a Building Regulation. No one can be "Part P qualified."

Forum posts are not legal advice; are for educational and discussion purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with a competent, qualified advisor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure