PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gum soap?

Hello lovely OSers!

Have any of you heard of Gum Soap, or even better, know where I can buy it?

I've been told I need some to clean my regatta waterproof jacket.

Comments

• I haven't but I think most outdoors shops sell similar stuff for things like Bar our jackets and B arbour manufacture their own or at least they package it as their own.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I just wash mine in the machine ... it's still waterproof.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I use tech wash - it is soapless - and then it needs to be followed by a reproofing. Both by Nikwax
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I posted this on the 'charity shop' thread:
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Great bargains, Miro. :T

I bought a Regatta waterproof/windproof packaway jacket, longer than the usual ones in a lovely shade of mint green with butterflies on for £2.

But guys - I need your help. :think:

It's just slightly grubby on one bit of the collar. Label says to wash using Regatta special stuff or 'pure soap'.
    What's that? smiley-confused013.gif

Found rhis thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=261251
    which I have to admit has got me pretty scared of using soap flakes in my washing machine.

What do you reckon?

Yeoman's sell 'Tech wash' (300ml) for £4.75 and I do have a couple more waterproof ackets that could do with a freshen-up.

What would you do?

ETA: on offer £3.99 in Sports Direct (if they have it in my local one)
    See thread for replies (from #4214 - especially #4217 which has a great link):
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3859129&page=211

If you use Techwash, I think you can use it for a few times before you have to re-waterproof.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    cheapest Techwash/Proofing combo I found was on Te**o Direct for some bizarre reason. It is quite a big pack but we have big muddy dogs and do a fair bit of walking so it was worth it for us
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I have just done a Regatta and Trespass jacket with Tech Wash and then proofed them. They are drying on the line as I write but rather annoyingly a tissue found its way into the machine so I have lots of bits of white all over the jackets. Mud is definitely the problem with me too.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Thank you all, TechWash it is then!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills