AA Loans PPI claim - progress!!!

triticale
triticale Posts: 771 Forumite
edited 30 October 2013 at 2:01PM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
MSE Official Insert:

To reclaim PPI read our Reclaim PPI for Free guide.

For the latest loans best buys read our Cheap Personal Loans guide.

----

Updated - see posts below ;)

Hi, I'm looking for some advice before I start the ball rolling with a PPI claim on my loan.

I have an 86 month loan with AA Loans, which I took out in March 2006.

I am almost certain that I didn't tick the box for PPI ('AA Creditcare'?). I have the 'Customer Copy' of the original agreement that doesn't have my signature etc on.

Can I ask AA for a copy of the copy that I must have signed and sent to them? This would tell me for sure whether I ticked that box or not.

If it then turned out that I did tick the box (I'd be very surprised) then I would phrase my initial letter that it was 'mis-sold' instead. (which would be true)

Basically, I don't want to write to them adamant that I didn't tick, only to have them produce a document that says I did!

I can't imagine why I would have ticked, as I always opt out of things like that, my job has always been ridiculously stable so there'd be little point me having it!

It comes to over 5 grand on a 10 grand loan. I only realised I was paying PPI when I looked through my paperwork after reading Martin's newsletter.

Any advice welcome.

ps. Search function doesn't recognise 'AA' as a search term! :mad:

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    triticale wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking for some advice before I start the ball rolling with a PPI claim on my loan.

I am almost certain that I didn't tick the box for PPI ('AA Creditcare'?). I have the 'Customer Copy' of the original agreement that doesn't have my signature etc on.

Can I ask AA for a copy of the copy that I must have signed and sent to them? This would tell me for sure whether I ticked that box or not.

If it then turned out that I did tick the box (I'd be very surprised) then I would phrase my initial letter that it was 'mis-sold' instead. (which would be true)

Basically, I don't want to write to them adamant that I didn't tick, only to have them produce a document that says I did!

I can't imagine why I would have ticked, as I always opt out of things like that, my job has always been ridiculously stable so there'd be little point me having it!

It comes to over 5 grand on a 10 grand loan. I only realised I was paying PPI when I looked through my paperwork after reading Martin's newsletter.

Any advice welcome.

Hello there and welcome.;)

Did you post above as well?:D, I recognise this one and I have left a post for you lol, but not to worry.

For more info on reclaiming here
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

And I would give it a go, however if you have the account number that is fine, if you do request for a copy with your sig, write a simple letter and ask they send you this by 12 days, and enclose a £1 postal order or cheque payment, they may though even send it free of charge with the first response, so for not as long as you have the account number use that and take it from there if you want to.

Check the above link for more info, this includes templates letters as well and a checklist.
    And if you require help from there, just post up, good luck.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • triticale
    Thanks for (both) replies! Sorry I posted the same thing twice, I posted in the other thread and was then worried it would get lost in there. :o

I want to get my claim going asap, but want to be fully armed beforehand.

So I thought if I do a simple (not-so-formal) request for a copy of the signed agreement first, then I won't be 'alerting' them to my imminent claim - or would they guess anyway? My fear is them sending a 'doctored' copy which would have a tick in the PPI box...
  • triticale
    Does this letter seem suitable?
    [Insert your name
    and address]
    [insert date]
    [insert name and
    address of company
    that sold your
    loan/card insurance]

Dear Sir or Madam,

Account number: [insert account number]

I am writing to request a copy of my original signed loan agreement with AA Loans. I enclose a cheque for £1 to cover the cost of providing this to me.

I look forward to your response within 12 days.
    Yours faithfully,

[insert your signature]

[Insert your name (printed)]
  • di3004
    Does this letter seem suitable?

[Insert your name

and address]

[insert date]

[insert name and
    address of company
    that sold your
    loan/card insurance]

Dear Sir or Madam,

Account number: [insert account number]

I am writing to request a copy of my original signed loan agreement with AA Loans. I enclose a cheque for £1 to cover the cost of providing this to me.

I look forward to your response within 12 days.
    Yours faithfully,

[insert your signature]

[Insert your name (printed)]

Yes that is cool.:T
    And post it by recorded delivery as well, good luck.;)
  • triticale
    Thank you for such quick and helpful replies. :)

I will update progress as it happens. :T
  • di3004
    Thank you for such quick and helpful replies. :)

I will update progress as it happens. :T

Your very welcome hun, post back soon, good luck.:T;)
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite

Any advice welcome.

This will be interesting to see if you signed or not?? Was this taken out online or not? Where did you actually take the loan out?
  • triticale
    marshallka wrote: »
    This will be interesting to see if you signed or not?? Was this taken out online or not? Where did you actually take the loan out?

I think I applied online, then got a telephone call (where they told me the crappy APR I was getting, rather than the nice 'typical' one they lured me in with!)

As far as I can remember, the forms came with the courier who delivered the cheque - I think I signed the form and gave it him back, he gave me the cheque, done. My memory isn't so good as it was a rather stressful period in my life and I was poor at record keeping!

There was a signature space accepting the loan terms, then below that a tickbox for PPI with ANOTHER signature space below that. At first glance it looks like the second sig is for only if you ticked above, but looking at it carefully now, it is slightly unclear and I may have thought at the time I had to sign that too.

So if I didn't tick, but did sign the second bit, might they claim that was me agreeing to PPI? I'd scan the agreement to show what I mean but I have no scanner. Might get chance to take a pic later.
  • triticale
    Well, an interesting development this evening. My copy of signed agreement has arrived, and guess what?

I DID NOT tick the box!! :j:beer:

I did, however, sign the extra signature below the box, as in my post above.

The second sig is headed 'I understand that I am purchasing the product(s) ticked above on credit provided by you and that the terms relating to the credit for the products can be found in the sections above and Terms and Conditions overleaf in this agreement'

So it matters not that I signed, as the sig only confirms I know what I ticked - and as I DIDN'T TICK IT - then my case is as strong as it can be!!! :T:D

I want to get straight on and make my claim rather than waiting around for a SAR - is this wise, or might I regret not having extra paperwork to hand?

I already have all the figures for breakdown of loan, ppi and interest for both on the agreement.

I KNEW I didn't tick that flippin box!! How dare they, and thank God for MSE for drawing my attention to it. :money:
  • di3004
    Well, an interesting development this evening. My copy of signed agreement has arrived, and guess what?

I DID NOT tick the box!! :j:beer:

I did, however, sign the extra signature below the box, as in my post above.

The second sig is headed 'I understand that I am purchasing the product(s) ticked above on credit provided by you and that the terms relating to the credit for the products can be found in the sections above and Terms and Conditions overleaf in this agreement'

So it matters not that I signed, as the sig only confirms I know what I ticked - and as I DIDN'T TICK IT - then my case is as strong as it can be!!! :T:D

I want to get straight on and make my claim rather than waiting around for a SAR - is this wise, or might I regret not having extra paperwork to hand?

I already have all the figures for breakdown of loan, ppi and interest for both on the agreement.

I KNEW I didn't tick that flippin box!! How dare they, and thank God for MSE for drawing my attention to it. :money:

You have your agreement and that is fine.

If you have already requested for the SAR then that is okay, useful info within the SAR maybe required at a later date, for example if they did not uphold by the final decision then you always have the FOS, and of course anything that you think that will help that have come back from the SAR you can also enclose the copies within your complaint form to the FOS.

Of course, it may be the case that if the bank does not uphold straight away, you may get the opportunity to write back to them again, before they issue you with the final response, and by that time if your SAR have arrived, then again you may have something more further to back your complaint to add further information for a 2nd letter if required.

Good luck.:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family