Orlando Florida/Disneyworld (Part 2) *CLOSED*

Comments

• GRIGGSY
    GRIGGSY Posts: 189 Forumite
    HiYa!!

I am disabled in a wheelchair also:D

(1)Weather in November is lovely...not too hot and not too cold. We generally go around Xmas for 3 weeks but have been most times of year. As long as you miss the holidays over there, its not too busy.

(2)We always stay in a villa. Many places have disabled adapted villas with walk in showers and just on one floor.

(3)We always hire a 7 seater mini van which cost about £150 pw and the wheelchair I hire over there fits in there fine. I hire from Randys Mobility Scooter hire £140 for 3 weeks hire and any problems he can get to you within an hour!

(4)£300 is very good, but this depends on whom your travelling with etc. We prefer to go with Atlantic and fly Premium which cost around £575 return, but there are many benefits.

(5)There are many other attractions and all have disabled access. They are very disabled friendly over there and are very polite and helpful. We love all the parks..disney, seaworld, universals, dinner shows...etc etc.

HTH

PP
    xx

Thankyou for your help with this, I really appreciate it.
  • atro1
    atro1 Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    Froggitt wrote: »
    That seemed to be as good as a fastpass at both Disney and Universal.

Not sure but I do not think that is very P.C.!
    Its certainly unpleasant! And very well answered by Penny-Pincher.

'TBH I wish I had two good working legs!!' Says it all really!

I am sure no offence was meant by Froggitt
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Apologies if any offence was taken.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • Karfy wrote: »
    hi everyone :)

we are looking into booking a walt disney world hotel and am not sure where would be the cheapest deal we could get to stay at one of the deluxe resorts like the Polynesian. where has anyone booked with to stay at one of the disney hotels? are there good sites on the internet? or is it best to book direct?

hello, did you ever get an answer to this one, Karfy? I want to start saving now for a couple of years time so we can really treat ourselves and stay at the Polynesian. So - like you - want to find the cheapest way to book it. I know you posted this ages ago, but still might be relevant! Thanks
  • KarenG
    KarenG Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    hello, did you ever get an answer to this one, Karfy? I want to start saving now for a couple of years time so we can really treat ourselves and stay at the Polynesian. So - like you - want to find the cheapest way to book it. I know you posted this ages ago, but still might be relevant! Thanks

Hello

First, there are no "cheap" rooms at the Poly any more unfortunately. When the travel market was soft after 9/11 there were some really deep discounts but the only ones I can think of these days are to get an Annual Pass (AP) for the Disney parks. You may or may not get a discount on a room rate with an AP, depending on what time of year you are going, how many rooms Disney have got to fill etc, and availability. The maximum discount is not likely to be more than 20-25% off rack rate.

The other discount is to get an AAA rate. The AAA is equivalent to our AA so if you belong to the AA you can benefit from AAA discounts. The discount varies but may be 10-15% off the rack rate.

For both these options you would need to book direct with Disney (US). Disney UK won't be able to do it. You won't be able to do this as part of a package deal, either.

At the Poly there are different types of room, depending on the view. None are cheap but some are cheaper than others.

Alternatively, consider using your Tesco Clubcard vouchers for a Virgin Holidays brochure deal. Normally I wouldn't do this as it is way more expensive than booking yourself, but I had so many Clubcards it was worth it. To reduce the price further I am staying at the Poly for the last 5 nights of our holiday only (I couldn't afford it for 17 nights!) which I figure will make us appreciate and enjoy the resort more as we will have done a lot in the parks by then. To be honest if you are first time visitors you won't be spending much time in your room anyway.

I have never found any of the hotel discount websites to have the deluxes or mods (very rarely the values) at any sort of discounted rate, unfortunately.

What a lot of waffle, sorry about that :o
  • KarenG, no you are not waffling, (I read every word, honest!)

That's really helpful, thanks. Obviously I've got a bit of time to think about my options.

I was thinking of going down the Tesco vouchers route, but wasn't sure whether I'd get a good price because if I have to phone Virgin when booking - according to the Tesco t and c's - I may miss out on a good deal on the Virgin internet website.

Does it work out cheaper buying flights and hotel separately, or best to stick to a package?
  • I've just been given a quote by
    www.destinationamerica.co.uk
    I got this name from one of these forums. A good quote and it does not seem to be 'way to good' .

Has anyone got any experience of them? How can I check that they are the real thing- without using credit card and paying a hefty 2%. There are no ABTA or ATOL numbers quoted.

Thanks
    Chrissie

:coffee:

Must save time as well as money!
  • KarenG
    KarenG Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    I was thinking of going down the Tesco vouchers route, but wasn't sure whether I'd get a good price because if I have to phone Virgin when booking - according to the Tesco t and c's - I may miss out on a good deal on the Virgin internet website.

Does it work out cheaper buying flights and hotel separately, or best to stick to a package?

Well, that's a bit of a "how long's a piece of string? question" LOL.

You're absolutely right that you might miss out on a better deal if you book over the phone rather than online. You won't get the online discount for a start (5%) and Virgin Hols sometimes do a 10% discount weekend. So, guaranteed you won't get either of those if you book on the phone (you're right, you do have to do this).

However, I would argue that 5% or even 10% is not that great of a discount, so it may be worthwhile to forgo it.

How many Tesco vouchers will you have do you think and how much do you reckon your holiday will cost through Virgin Hols? If you have say £200 of Tesco Deals and your holiday is going to cost £4,000 then those £200 Deals Vouchers don't look so exciting any more. If you have £2,000 of deals and the holiday's only £2,500, well that's a different story :D

As to booking it yourself as opposed to doing it as a package, whether through Virgin or otherwise, again it can vary. I have booked it myself several times and saved quite a lot of money (used Expedia or the like for flights and then accommodation direct wih Disney with an Annual Pass rate, and other accommodation with the various hotel websites always mentioned on here. Villas I like to book direct with an owner so I know exactly where they are and what facilities it has). However you should always search pckage deals too as a point of comparison, and also because occasionally they are cheaper than flight only / fly drive. You can then just not use the hotel that comes with the package if you don't fancy it.

The absolute best way to do it if you have the nerve (and I don't,I am a chicken) is to snag last minute flights and accommodation. You may need to be slightly flexible then though.

ETA: Just realised I never said that the Polynesian is a great choice :):)
  • Jays
    Jays Posts: 410 Forumite
    Hi

We are trying to book Florida and the parks for the October Half Term, last minute (cos we aren't organised!).

Would like to go the weekend of 20 October to 27 October 2007, but can't find anyone offering 7 night holidays.

Anyone have any advice please?

Thanks
    Jays
  • Jays wrote: »
    Hi

We are trying to book Florida and the parks for the October Half Term, last minute (cos we aren't organised!).

Would like to go the weekend of 20 October to 27 October 2007, but can't find anyone offering 7 night holidays.

Anyone have any advice please?

Thanks
    Jays

You would probably be better booking flights and accommodation separately, but you might have problems with your flights as it is half term. Virgin aren't showing any flights available around those dates. Check on thedibb website, you could look at villas on there, and maybe someone can help with the flights.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport