Paying for a vehicle

darkan9el
darkan9el Posts: 39 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi all, I want to buy a vehicle and wondered the best method of payment.

A lot of sellers want a bank transfer which from my limited knowledge is similar to just handing over cash.
I was thinking about different methods and wondered if I can I pay via a credit card into someones account so that I get the credit card protections, the vehicle is £3000

Comments

• Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No - you're only going to be able to pay by card if you purchase from a trader/dealer. As typically they will be operating as a business so will have a card terminal.

I was going to say you could ask if they'll accept PayPal, then fund the purchase via your credit card. However you don't get Section 80 protection if I recall using a credit card for PayPal purchases.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sparx wrote: »
    No - you're only going to be able to pay by card if you purchase from a trader/dealer. As typically they will be operating as a business so will have a card terminal.

I was going to say you could ask if they'll accept PayPal, then fund the purchase via your credit card. However you don't get Section 80 protection if I recall using a credit card for PayPal purchases.

I assume you mean Section 75 because Section 80 won't be very useful to the OP!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure