Car insurance for my for my French partner, non UK resident?

Hi

I have searched various threads about similar issues but nothing very recent and I am worried that the upcoming Brexit has changed things in regard to this.

My French partner has just moved in with me in the UK. I am insured with Hasting direct, and its very reasonable at about £230 a year fully comp. They would not add hr as a named driver as she is not a UK resident.

I checked various other insurance companies and by the time I have entered all my details and get to adding her, it just asks how long she has been a UK resident, at which point I can go no further. Or they reject it at the end.

Can anyone recommend a company who would let me add her as a named driver? Or maybe a broker would be able to help, could anyone recommend a broker?

We are really stuck as I had assumed we would be able to add her with a quick phone call. But it's making life quite difficult now!!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nothing to do with Brexit.

Find a broker local to yourself.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• delmonta
    delmonta Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    So it's normal that most insurance companies wont add a named driver who is in the EU but not a UK resident?

I was wondering how many people who have lived here for a long time but never registered manage to get insurance?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Earlier this year neither my hsband nor myself were able to drive our car for medical reasons. My son and his Romanian girlfriend came to stay with us for a short while and she has an EU driving licence

Tesco were happy to add my son's Romanian girlfriend to my husband's car insurance. They did want confirmation that she would not be using to commute to work but did agree that was unlikely!

Having an EU driving licence was enough.
  • delmonta
    Thanks, I will give tesco a go!

Cheers
  • delmonta
    HI Sher

I filled out a quote for Tesco online, and at the end it was the same thing, they asked how long she had been a UK resident. Which she is not!

This seems to be the same everywhere? Do you think its different if you call them up?

Does anyone know any companies who might insure a Non uk resident as a named driver on my policy?

Thanks
  • sheramber
    Ours was arranged over the phone as we already had a policy.

I did not think they would cover her, from what had been reported on here, but my husband phoned anyway.

There was no problem but she did have to answer loads of questions, such as dob, time held licence, occupation and has she ever caused the death of anybody? So your fiance would have to be present when yo phoned.

We actually did it twice as the first time it was a temporary driver for two weeks but we needed to extend it for another two weeks.

Customer Service did say if we needed a third term it would have to go to the underwriter and we may have to add her as a named driver.

They were more bothered about covering my son who has a motorcycle licence which can be used as a provisional licence. This was our back up plan as I would be accompanying him.
    They said they would need to check with the DVLA about that.
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Surely if she has moved in with you she is a UK resident, even if a temporary one. EU citizens still have right to reside here.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • delmonta
    Thanks sheramber, maybe its worth calling instead of filling out online quotes.

And bryanB, maybe you are right. I am starting to wonder what makes someone a UK resident. She has just come over and not filled out any forms or anything.

I dont know how it works?
  • sheramber
    delmonta wrote: »
    Thanks sheramber, maybe its worth calling instead of filling out online quotes.

And bryanB, maybe you are right. I am starting to wonder what makes someone a UK resident. She has just come over and not filled out any forms or anything.

I dont know how it works?

there is a dIfference between being a UK resident https://www.gov.uk/eea-registration-certificate/overview and being resident In the UK.
  • delmonta
    yeah I already read that page. I just dont really know what the insurance companies class it as. I should probably call up rather than trying to do it online! What a pain
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure