Contractors working at my house, and my car has been badly damaged.

ripplyuk
ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
I have workmen out today fixing up my garden. There was a van and a lorry. It's a small cul-de-sac so I'm aware if anyone comes up the lane. I'm convinced one of these guys has hit the car and not said anything. They didn't tell me when they finished up, they just vanished.

The car has major damage to the back panel. It's badly dented and has huge scratches continuing around the side. I'd only just got it fixed up after it was damaged during servicing! :(

Could anyone tell me what I should do? I'm sitting here in a total panic.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Well firstly you should ask them if they did it?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Unless you have evidence to show who caused the damage then there's nothing much you can do but claim from your own insurance. You can try and front it out with your workmen but don't be surprised if they just deny everything.
  • ripplyuk
    I've rang their boss. He says he's going to ask them if they did it. I can guess what their reply will be.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    He should be able to look at his vehicle
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Like it or not, if they deny driving into your car, there's not much you can do.
  • ripplyuk
    They must have hit it with the lorry that was removing rubble and soil from the garden because there is a small pile of that where the car was parked. A bit was actually on top of the car too. I've taken photos of everything but I accept that I can't prove it was them.

I'm going to an accident repair place for a quote tomorrow. I don't want to go through my insurance, unless the cost is catastrophic (which it could well be). It seems unfair that I have would have to pay increased premiums for years when it wasn't my fault. I know this would be listed as a fault claim too. And, although my NCB is protected, the costs will still go up.

I do have legal expenses cover with a different insurer. Should I ring them for advice, or will they be uninterested since I can't prove it?
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    You could speak to the legal expenses provider but I doubt they'd take the claim on. They will only take a claim on if they think you have a better than 50% chance of successfully making a recovery. Currently with the lack of evidence of even identifying the vehicle that hit you, I don't think they'd take it on.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    You might want to examine your vehicle and the workmen's van. You may be able to match corresponding damage and paint transfer. You could ask your neighbours if they witnessed the incident.

You can report your suspicion to the Police.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • ripplyuk
    There is white paint on my car from their lorry. I'll ask for their insurance details but I would still rather get a quote for repair before contacting mine. I don't have hire car cover so I'll be stuck without one.

Should I ring one of these accident management companies?

Is their any chance it is worth me trying the small claims court, if I pay out for it all?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    There is white paint on my car from their lorry. I'll ask for their insurance details but I would still rather get a quote for repair before contacting mine. I don't have hire car cover so I'll be stuck without one.

Should I ring one of these accident management companies?

Is their any chance it is worth me trying the small claims court, if I pay out for it all?

Well if you have THEIR insurance details, you'd contact that company, not your own
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure