Spending Overseas: The cheapest way to pay Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    You shouldn't get charged in the NY area at a machine run by a major bank.

You MAY be charged in the following states - where state law has outlawed Visa/Mastercard's standard contract which says they can't charge overseas cards:

Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Maine, Mississippi,
    Nevada, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming

However that list is a little old and charging may be creeping in elsewhere. It's not a big fee - usually a flat $ or two.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Passing on a suggestion... nice spot Donnie :D
    Donnie wrote:
    Not sure why Citibank's Audi Card has been left out of the ranking in the Spending Overseas article.
    Maybe you can pass the info on.

http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/financial_services/audi_card.html
  • jago25_98
    jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    what about Egg Money? Free cash withdrawals in UK if card is loaded but does this also apply in Europe?

I have just used an ATM in Norway and am waiting for it to appear on my online recent transactions. Seems to be taking a while. I will report back when I find out how much I've been billed.
    I'm not sure whether I will be in credit as I had transferred some cash across but it still hasn't arrived on my balance. At the moment it's onlt listing £50. This is not looking good.

I actually accidentally withdrew £300 instead of £30! In English the menus started at 2000 kroner and went upwards of that! -so I just went for the second lowest number and got the zero confused! Now I will need to convert the money back. Looks like I will loose quite a bit but I'll just have to take it on the chin.

Co-operative Bank Visa Debit card: rejected at ATM
    Cahoot Visa Debit card: also rejected at ATM

How best shall I convert this spare cash back to £££?
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
  • dzug
    Options
    Change back at M&S - they only charge (in the 'commission-free' exchange rate) 5% on the interbank rate. Most other places charge 8%, some even more.

Better still find someone who is going there and come to a deal.
  • dc74_2
    dc74_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I use my Nationwide debit card all over the world - I have very rarely being charged by an overseas ATM so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I can't recommend Nationwide enough for overseas shopping. Unless I'm flying into the outback of beyond, I now just rely on ATMs for cash when I arrive somewhere and don't bother getting ripped off by UK commision grabbing deals.

HTH...
  • Queentisme
    Options
    Am hoping there's not such thing as a stupid question! :p

I've been a long time reader of this site, and have used it to save enough money to book a five month globetrotting holiday, my dream for 11 years! So thank you Martin!

BUT! I have no credit at all, and, having checked my credit rating, realise that this actually means bad news for lenders, and having tried a few applications (all spaced out by six months or so) and been rejected, I was thinking that I would have to apply for one of those hideous 30%+ interest rates cards to take overseas with me, as I'd like to have it in my wallet as a 'back-up' if stuck in a tricky situation.

But now I'm thinking that the best solution might be to go with Nationwide Debit Card, however - and this is where I feel my ignorance keenly - I had no idea one could *use* debit cards overseas for cash withdrawals, let alone purchases.

So, can I just confirm:
    • Nationwide debit card can be used for cash withdrawals
    • When doing this, Nationwide will charge me nowt, but the banks themselves may charge me their own fee (am going to USA and Oz, just fyi), which I should be wary of.
    Is that right? And *can* I use Nationwide debit card for store purchases, etc, or is that still only a credit card area?

Many thanks, guys, am heading off in November, and want to get things lined up and 'broken in' before then. Also, as am single female travelling alone, am wary of carrying too much cash/traveller's cheques, so would prefer the security of one or two pieces of plastic that can be cancelled as soon as they disapear.
    xx
  • dzug
    Options
    If it's got 'VISA' on it (mine has - don't know if they all do) it should be OK for purchases as well as cash.

I wouldn't worry over much about that fee - it will still be a lot less than getting and exchanging cash or TCs.
  • jago25_98
    jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    Here's EGG Money at a ATM in Norway:

08 Jul 2007 Norway Abroad - Overseas Transaction £263.83 DR
    3000.00 NOK @ 11.370958572

Now, how do I best change the leftover cash back?
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
  • dzug
    Options
    jago25_98 wrote: »
    Here's EGG Money at a ATM in Norway:

08 Jul 2007 Norway Abroad - Overseas Transaction £263.83 DR
    3000.00 NOK @ 11.370958572

Now, how do I best change the leftover cash back?

M&S are the best of the more easily accessible places. Expect to pay well over 12NK per £
  • meadowcat
    meadowcat Posts: 417 Forumite
    Options
    I've recently read about a new card for travel use. www.caxtonfxcard.com

Could someone better versed than me have a look and see if it is worth having?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure