PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Knit Your Square To Give Your Share - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Pippa.S
    Pippa.S Posts: 2,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 1 October 2009 at 11:22AM
    Options
    :j:j:j
    How exciting a new "home" wonder how long this one will last ;)

Anyway, morning all, :hello:
    I see some of you are semi-nocturnal :rolleyes::rotfl:

I managed to get another couple of IS hats done last night and my friend informs me she has done some for us as well, is'nt that nice of her:D no pom-poms though but I have a few left from last year so I will sort them out and see what colours are left.
    Mum gave me some plastic templates for large and small ones, so I made some last night to put on the ones I had just finished and you should have seen the mess:eek: bits everywhere from trimming them, they look ok now though. The date is nearly up so I will get a pic taken and post it on Wooligans

Kathy - who would have thought we would get this far when we started last year, I wonder how many hours we have spent knitting and how many miles of wool we have got through, and just look at how many lovely people we have met along the way and also how many we have helped one way and another :smiley: .....AND....
    LONG MAY WE CONTINUE TO DO SO :beer:

A BIG welcome to our new members, :wave:you will love it in here

ISOM - I did the scarf Kathy mentioned as a pressie for my sister and she loves it. Only took a night to do as well, easy and really effective, I am going to do a few for Christmas pressies, BTW well done with the squares they are really good, I knew you could do it:T
    Hello May - :wave:
    Shaz - I must Google the Sirda Loopa it sounds good

Better go OH wants to go out goodness knows where to
    back later
    Anne
    x
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Oops, just spent some money in the wool shop :rolleyes:, but I got a lovely purple wool and a pink wool, sort of angel hair fluffy, to do two shrugs....one for sister and one for mum's Christmas presents. Also got some more wool to make perhaps a scarf for my niece (black/pink/blue) at Christmas (she's 13 so it has to be cool lol)....she will get that along with some money hopefully.
    Also a couple of random DK balls for making some charity stuff, and pattern for the shrugs.
    Very happy! Just to decide what size of pompoms to make for IS hats.....
    Sounds like we are all having fun knitting/crocheting, this is a great (new) thread!
    Love to all
    x OS
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• shezmit
    shezmit Posts: 781 Forumite
    Options
    I am having a Knick nak sale for preemiesuk on the 13th October and i am wondering if anyone has any knitted toys, Scarfs, or socks which they can donate

Thankyou
    shelley
    Knitting for premature babies and babies that are born to soon :T
    TOTAL: 4 SANDS BLANKET, 18 CROCHETED BLANKETS, 4 GOWNS, 2 SLEEPING BAG (PRIVATE REQUEST), 1 BIB, 8 BOOBS, 3 CARDIES, 9 VENTS, 3 KNITTED BLANKETS, 1 PAIR OF BOOTIES, 1 HAT,
  • OrkneyStar
    Options
    shezmit wrote: »
    I am having a Knick nak sale for preemiesuk on the 13th October and i am wondering if anyone has any knitted toys, Scarfs, or socks which they can donate

Thankyou
    shelley
    What would be the deadline for getting stuff to you ?
    I don't have anything as yet but might be able to knit a small toy or two.....will let you know in a week or so if I have managed to you know whether or not to expect them.
    Hope you get some good donations!

• shezmit
    shezmit Posts: 781 Forumite
    Options
    The deadline for this knick nak sale will be by 10th october. :T
    Knitting for premature babies and babies that are born to soon :T
    TOTAL: 4 SANDS BLANKET, 18 CROCHETED BLANKETS, 4 GOWNS, 2 SLEEPING BAG (PRIVATE REQUEST), 1 BIB, 8 BOOBS, 3 CARDIES, 9 VENTS, 3 KNITTED BLANKETS, 1 PAIR OF BOOTIES, 1 HAT,
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    I havent realy got anything other than the preemie hats Shelly and doubt you would sell them? Alas not fast enough to whip something up....have been v slobbish...had a sleeping tab last night andfelt v groggy so went back to bed...and just woke up!! oops! Started the scarf and went for a simple k2, p2 pattern but with funky wool to add texture. Christmas pressie #2 on the way....
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• OrkneyStar
    Options
    shezmit wrote: »
    The deadline for this knick nak sale will be by 10th october. :T
    Ok, well as I said I am not promising anything but will let you know if I have managed to squeeze something in!

• roamin_in_the_gloamin
    Options
    OOPS, sorry I missed good morning so it will have to be good afternoon, Welcome to the new folks, come in, sit a while, rest your weary bones and enjoy the chat, if you need any assistance don’t be afraid to ask – there is always someone with the right answer, not usually me tho’.
    Well done MIOLIERE and Penelope Penguin for the seamless move we have all had, hope no one suffered during the time warp
    Shazrobo, cut out a card loopie thingie but haven’t yet managed to get around to starting I even picked out the two different yarns, oh perhaps this afternoon. With luck DH will be up and about and I can get a bit more of ANYTHING done.
    I wonder just how long my patience will take the MAN FLU – don't get me wrong I just love him to bits but this up and down the stairs on top of all my other running around is beginning to wear thin, believe when he is up today I shall strip the bedding and then he can't crawl back in good scheme eh?
    ISOM great photo of the wee hats and those crochet squares – well I am amazed, my first efforts into crochet were abysmal and I have sort of left off doing any more since, keep it up at the rate your going I can see a big blanket being done really soon.

Orkney Star well done for making it to the wool shop – I am green with envy, but shall make up for it when I get back to the UK. Shall spent a whole day in just one shop!!

dpixie are you nesting? Seems you have the spring cleaning bug too early! Oh I know your doing it so your Bro and SIL will be impressed – they are coming to see you, not the house, so don't do too much.

SGT lovely to see you back again, hope its not too hot/wet/windy in Spain.

PIPPAS looking forward to seeing the pictures on the wooligans, you busy bumble bee you

If I missed anyone, sorry, just trying to keep on top of the latest postings as best as I can,
    MAYTAURUS/PSSO sending you only good thoughts and huge cuddles

I think because we all "natter" wonderfully we will need another new page about the end of January!

Jean

xx
    The Hooligan Wooligan – age 9¾
    Charity Knitting 2015-
    2xSIBOL butterflies -86x squares
  • chalky_75
    chalky_75 Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    Options
    Well the song by madness comes to mind!!! "Our House" or of course Harry Secombe and " Bless this House !" Anyway lovely to be in a new thread and welcome to all the newbies,oldies and inbetweenies!! I do hope everyone who wants to join us does as it is always lovely to see our group growing

Well I am sorry for very fleeting visits but been really busy. Have been skimming thread and particularly hope everyones children have settled -- what a worry.
    Also very gentle thoughts to all feeling a bit down I do hope this lovely Autumn is cheering everybody up.

Thanks for kind comments about blog Chalky's World. Learning curve very steep
    b ut am getting there !!

Well I have nearly finished the 3 Lapacuddlyghans for dd1.dd2 and DDil -- all Christmas presents which I hope they will love. I have learnt so much about myself doing them, I thought I wanted them very ordered and almost Mathematical but as I started them I remembered my Grandma and the way she used to make them out of every little scrap of wool she had. Even unpicking old jumpers etc and I sudddenly realised that a riot of colour is brilliant and more true to their roots than my orderly plan. I will post some piccies when I have finished them.

Well we are all ready for the ferry on Sunday DOH decided the forecast was calm enough for him to venture forth. Rang yesterday BUT they were fully booked!!!! This is our 3rd trip and they have always had spaces before!! So we have another week to wait. More time for me to squirrel away some more wool !!!

Re Lofts !!!! Just thought I would tell you all that the government is running a scheme to put extra insulation in peoples lofts as a way to help combat climate change. So yesterday 1" was replaced by 10 " !!!!!! Its like marshmallow land !! We paid £95 but I think there are ways of getting it for free. So according to statistics it will reduce bills and keep warmth in so just thought I would let you know. Nothing is going back into ours not even the Christmas decs. Have not made ginham curtains for the utility to hide the little ones toys yet !!

Well I posted Shelleys parcel this morning so hope it arrives soon.

Will be back now over the next week but until then Happy Crafting !!
    Try and do a good deed every day.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 454 Forumite
    Options
    k2tog wrote: »
    Gosh, that must have been hard work - it isn't always as easy as it's sold is it? Is your DD Ok now? She'll be old enough to knit soon :D

Definitely not always easy! I'm about as pro-breastfeeding as you can get, but had some struggles. Couldn't feed my first as I had an awful delivery (emergency c-section under GA as they thought they were going to lose both of us) and my milk just didn't come in at all. My second fed like a dream, it was as though he knew exactly what he was doing and just got on with it. Then my third had tongue tie and so couldn't latch on at all so I had to express. So I have every sympathy for people who are having problems, and it just shows that you can have one baby which feeds perfectly and another who doesn't!

DD is fine now, her tongue tie tore by itself when she was about 9 months old, so it has never effected her speech or anything. In some areas they would have snipped it because of the feeding problems, but here they wait until they are around 3 and see if it is effecting their speech (because talking is clearly more important than eating...)

Haven't started teaching DD to knit yet, but am teaching DS1, who is 7. He is currently knitting a scarf for his teddy. I learnt when I was about 3 or 4, but I haven't managed the patience to start teaching mine before they are about 6!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure