How to Find a Cheap Flight Article Discussion Area

Comments

• terrierlady
    terrierlady Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    i find the whole searching process a pain, if you need more than usual number of seats for large family group you have to ring all sites for quotes why?
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
  • sandiego Do any holiday brokers book flights & hotels for long haul destinations with stopover stays on route anyone know ? Help!
  • Jeddy
    Jeddy Posts: 77 Forumite
    Hi,
    We are looking to travel to New Zealand (preferably on Air Singapore and via Singapore) sometime late Dec or maybe Jan. What is the best way to find a cheap flight.
    Given that we are flexible on when we go, what is the best way to check for cheap flights (short of putting in loads of different days into one of the listed sites)?
    Thanks,
    Jeddy
  • I hope this finishes up on the right forum for maximum exposure. If not maybe others could either re-post it or point me in the right direction... ( not really technophobic but do get 'lost' around all these various forums ands threads etc,,, however .......... on to business.

In short I was alerted to the £160 return flights to New York and booked /paid for for tickets ( Visa ) ........ unfortunately the couple whose names I submitted cannot now go.

I've had no success with Delta who are not interested in cancellation,name change or anything helpful whatsoever. I've had 4 unsuccessful emails to them + 1 phone call to Atlanta...... all of no avail........ although I'm normally up fo a consumer battle, this has 'soured' the whole excitment of the trip ......... Iv'e established Delta have a 24 hr cancellation policy but this is only applicable to tickets originating in the US .... I'm unsure as to whether I would have a case of being discriminated against on the basis of nationality but don't know how I could procede with this as I'm unsure as to whether if my 'contract' with Delta for the tickets is covered under English Law or US law... all in all I'm sickened but now just want to do some damage limitation.

The crazy part in all this is that all Delta know about the other passengers is surnames and christian names only...no other details at all....... just my address and Visa details as this is how the tickets were paid for. I'm even aware of people changing their names by deedpoll temporarily to 'get around' this ludicrous situation......... the problem with this is probably the cost in doing it twice for 2 people ( I assume yhey would want to change their names and passports back again to their proper names ! )

SOOOOOOOO... anyone out there in MSE land that is called Mike and Sue Clark or know of a Mike and Sue Clark who may want to go to New York 1st Dec ... return 8th Dec 2006

if so I've 2 tickets that I'm hoping to sell for something reasonable ........... ( cost £ 320 approx)

I can be contacted directly at hulldave@hulldave.karoo.co.uk

Regards
    hulldave
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The flight checker is brilliant. Looking to go away for wife's birthday. Don't care where we go. Preferably somewhere a bit warmer than here, but not too bothered.
    BUT... How do we go about finding a hotel. Is there a similar facility? I'm finding that we can get rock-bottom flights for most places in Europe, but can't find any hotels within our budget. Seems like we need to start by finding a hotel (or at least a selection of hotels) and then look at flights.
    Any suggestions? Have tried the hotel websites mentioned in this article but they all start with putting in where you want to go. This undoes all the benefits of the FlightChecker!
    Jim
  • The idea that we can offset our flights is a fatally flawed one. Carbon in fossil fuels is permanent, whereas carbon in trees is temporary. We really shouldn't be flying anywhere until this problem is addressed. The carbon con was recently highlighted in an edition of the New Internationalist.

http://www.newint.org/issues/2006/07/01/

We should really be pushing for the improvement in every single aspect of alternative energy.
  • My partner is French and would like his family to come over and visit occasionally but all the cheap travel offers we have access to in this country do not seem to be available to residents of France and other countries. This includes Ferry and Flights. Can anyone advise/suggest any ferry companies/airlines that might make booking cheap travel FROM abroad easier or compatible to the offers we have access to:confused:..?
  • JenHen
    JenHen Posts: 44 Forumite
    mcdogfood wrote:
    The idea that we can offset our flights is a fatally flawed one. Carbon in fossil fuels is permanent, whereas carbon in trees is temporary. We really shouldn't be flying anywhere until this problem is addressed. The carbon con was recently highlighted in an edition of the New Internationalist.

http://www.newint.org/issues/2006/07/01/

We should really be pushing for the improvement in every single aspect of alternative energy.

THANK YOU for highlighting this important issue

There was a very interesting live debate on aviation and carbon emissions on the Guardian website earlier this week, hosted by George Monbiot. Did anyone read it? It did cover carbon offsetting. Unfortunately I can't find the link to it or would post here. Here's another of his articles on the subject:

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/travel/story/0,,1877458,00.html

Dare I say it...I feel so strongly about this that I don't think cheap flight offers should be in the money tips emails at all.
  • Has anyone else found that you can not trust flightchecker for the best deal. I used it and booked a flytompson flight only to find I could have booked a better flight and with lower cost with monarch!
  • I've just started looking for flights early next summer as many of the cheap airlines have now got their schedules out. However Flightchecker only looks 6 months from todays date. Are there any plans to enhance the checker to look further ahead?
    Also sometimes when sales are on: Using the all destinations option from a particular departure airport and putting in less than for example £5 you are often returned with many flights(up to the set display limit) all to say Dublin for £0.99. These may not be of interest. What would help is a criteria of above and below price ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure