Clear bags for liquids

2»

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Many airports still have machines to dispense bags at a cost, but if you wait until you're in the security queue I've never failed to see the staff provide them free if required. Or just use a supermarket ziplock bag costing pennies as I do to avoid any uncertainty.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Was in Poundland and Home bargains today (don't ask!) both had bags and empty containers for things like this.

Alright, stop boasting about your jet set lifestyle on the foreign holidays board!
  • mrs_lds
    mrs_lds Posts: 4,103 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    I used a small ziplock bag and was told i had to have the official bag!!!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    As I said before standard sandwich bags are ideal. You can get the exact size quoted 20x20cms with the press together closures.

Manchester airport used to charge £1 for 1 bag!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • patgc
    patgc Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Many thanks everyone. Looks like I will need to decant the warpaint etc to a sandwich bag.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,568 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    patgc wrote: »
    Many thanks everyone. Looks like I will need to decant the warpaint etc to a sandwich bag.

Good to practise with a sandwich bag then when you're at the airport accept all the free ones offered. I now have plenty at home so can get sorted in advance. Particularly good are the ones with 'handles"(like mini carrier bags) that I think came from Gatwick.

Remember this is only really crucial if you're travelling with hand luggage only. Otherwise put all you don't need on the flight in the hold.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Was in Poundland and Home bargains today (don't ask!) both had bags and empty containers for things like this.
    I found this on the Manchester Airport website:
    Please note - if you wish to bring your own containers to hold 100ml or less, the container must have printed on it the measurement that the container can hold. Travel sets of containers that do not have measurements on them will not be allowed through security. Handwritten measurements or stickers are also not acceptable.
    http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/guides-to-travelling/security-and-fasttrack/security-rules/
    So the container sets you can buy may not be acceptable if you're flying from MAN.
    No idea how rigorously they police this rule.
    I save small pots and bottles and decant into them, most of the labels have peeled off so not sure whether to risk it or not on our next trip.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    maman wrote: »
    Seems fairly random how the rules are enforced.
    And that is what - imho - is wrong.

Why should different airports have different rules about liquids and what other stuff you can put in your hand luggage.

If an item has a potential risk of terrorism, then surely that applies to all flights departing from all airports within the UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure