22 Foxhole East

Comments

• f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 19 January 2017 at 1:40PM
    PurpleFairy send me a PM with the window company please! I need recommendations from people who have actually used a company, rather than people telling me what a nice bloke their sister is going out with who happens to be a self employed ___________.

Our living room is currently beige anaglypta an inch thick on three walls, with a chimney wall covered in a wallpaper which is a navy blue background with pink and aqua flowers and leaves on a vine, and a red and gold swirly flower and fern leaf type pattern carpet. All it needs is stripes to complete the full set of 'what not to put together in a room '.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Foxholes We had a lovely carpenter who did loads at our old place. I'd recommend him like a shot but y'know location....

Why does the cash thing worry you? Again with the carpenter we worked with he would give us a lower price in half cash half BACS, for the reason of saving on VAT.

Most of the trades we used wanted cash to be honest.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • f0xh0les
    This guy spent a good half an hour whining about having a £2k tax bill due at the end of the month. So I went on to HMRC and worked out he is only declaring £20k.

Now, I am paying him £350 for one and a half days' work - that is just labour. I had to buy the hinges and door latches as he did not have any, although he did provide 30 screws and complained about not being able to reuse the original ones. I have never had a carpenter turn up to fit a door and not supply a new hinge before! Y'know, it is kind of the basics?

He says he could work every day there is so much work coming in but he refuses to work Friday's after lunchtime or weekends anymore, only Monday to Friday 1pm.

He is earning well over £20k Bob. I don't mind paying cash per se, but when everyone else has to pay tax, it is just niggling when you know some people are not paying anywhere near what they should be, and then complain about it.
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
  • f0xh0les
    I have decided I am going to break this mortgage down into bitesized portions. It is currently £114, 248. So my first goal is to get to below £110k before the end of the year. I know lots of people on here can chuck major amounts of money at their mortgages quite quickly, but I actually do not have an income. I have the housekeeping money DH gives me once a month and the child benefits. So whatever is left after the bills, food, clothing, car expenses, school trips, DIY, and fun stuff, that is what is going to overpay the mortgage.

Just had a look at the cashback sites I am registered with, and there is over £120 due to be paid to me before the end of April. Which will be going straight to the o/p fund. There is not much in the house I have to sell, so I cannot count on that kind of money. I have simplified my belongings, DH has complicated his (!).

This week will involve a lot of stripping, sadly, it's door stripping, nothing interesting, and then repainting. That is my plan for the next 7 days, getting them all done and sorted. There, tis written.

Menu plans planned, food inventory taken, I pretty much know what I am doing this week and it should be pretty jolly frugal.

Found an amazing bargain last night, bath towels reduced from £18 down to £5 for a two pack. So I bought 4 of those and one £10 pack of 2 hand towels for £3. Should last me a few years, and the old ones can go to the animal shelter/hospital for reuse. £59 saved. Very happy with that saving.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Read your diary last week, foxholes - and I absolutely love it - consider me your new [STRIKE]stalker[/STRIKE] follower! :) Fellow mum of 4 here, although the eldest is a girl :)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 24 January 2017 at 2:36PM
    I think you are doing great Foxholes and what better motivation to keep getting baragins when you know where the saving is going.

Also, thanks for reminding me to check in at TopCashback, although nothing to find when I got there but then can't remember the last time I bought anything to earn CB on.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • f0xh0les
    Ow Ow Ow, day two of stripping doors leaves me with a wobbly right arm. Two doors down, six left to go. All on track, except I burnt my lunch. I put my soup on the hob, thought I'd just do a little bit more stripping while it heated, forgot, filled the kitchen with smoke. Doh, veggie bacon sandwich instead.

On the plus side I now know the kitchen fire alarm is not connected to anything - always good to know! and the patio doors were open so the smoke cleared quickly.

Yesterday and today were NSDs so that takes me up to 8 this month - was aiming for 15. Would have been fewer if I hadn't been trying though. Tomorrow will also be a NSD, although annoyingly DS3 seems to have lost his pumps at school. They change into them as soon as they get in the door - like slippers, so the school stays clean. Great idea!

Blimey it is freezing tonight! Made a lovely stew with defrosted Linda Mac sausages rolled into balls and fried, with lots of thyme and rosemary, onions, whole garlic cloves and vegetables. Plus the obligatory whole loaf of bread. Two of my kids would not touch a LM sausage with a barge pole. They ate it when they thought it was a 'stew ball' (made-up name TM), but then again I should not be surprised, they will eat Fry's chicken style strips if I tell them it is snake. Boys are just weird. I now have the urge to develop some kind of Antelope and Woodchuck pudding (TM).

So upset that total !!!!! Trump has pulled funding for any foreign aid agency that is pro-abortion, agreed the Dakota pipeline, and is generally being a total wazbucket.

I have been looking at the Dr Seuss cartoons about America First from the second world war (yeah, niche subject matter, I know). Anyone who would use that phrase in public had better steer clear of any grassy knolls. The only trouble is Pence is no better.
  • f0xh0les
    Sunday again! Where does the week go? Oh yeah, kids. Silly question.

Very unspendy week really, which is marvellous, I am one door behind myself in the stripping schedule - I took yesterday off (woohoo!) so I have done the ground floor doors, the middle floor doors will be finished by the end of today, and then there are the three upstairs bedroom doors to do before the start of February - that is my own self imposed deadline. So I can start filling and painting next week. Then that will be one job sorted. Might move on to the two skirting boards cluttering up my kitchen, get them stripped and repainted and back on the walls, then I can tick off another job that won't take long and it can get crossed off the list.

I need to do a food plan for the week, - I have a peach melb-ish tart in the fridge - pastry from Heron Foods - (30p) tin of peaches (35p) pack of green's strawberry jel stuff that I refound in a plastic packing box in the downstairs bathroom along with some powder henna I had been given by m-i-l last year as she was only going to throw it out, and some shoe cleaning brushes - No, I don't have any idea how it got in there either, but it was 20p YS and tastes fine. Not sure that stuff ever goes off.

Henna currently on my head while I watch Andrew Marr with a lovely coffee...

Hamsters cleaned out yesterday and their whole houses washed and dried and clean sawdust deep enough to bury a large mouse. They are all sulking loudly this morning. They no longer smell.

DS1 is heading into town to Games Workshop with a friend to play with their models they have painted and DH is playing chauffeur. He should be dropping friend at home near Tesco at YS time, so I have given him the important task of grabbing bargains! He actually asked for a list. Twit. Told him the first job is to get the bargain fruit and veg and then I figure out what I am going to cook - quite excited Ald1 super 6 this week is asparagus and chestnut mushrooms. I have soft tofu in the fridge so might do a vegan quiche. Will weird out the kids. New experience for them.

Very excited about Marvel's Agents of Shield season 4 starting tonight, will have to watch Endeavour on +1 afterward. Honestly, when there is so little to watch on tv at the best of times, why do you end up with 2 or 3 things on at the same bloomin' time?

My car's fuel efficiency has slumped drastically. No idea why, it has suddenly gone down by about 50%, have got DH to check the oxygen filter after a quick google, but it is shiny and clean so not that. Spark plugs were replaced 3 years ago but I have only done 10k since then, it is a little runabout kid-carrying-wagon. Will have to take it to a garage at half term and ask them to have a squizz at it.

We are with EE for our broadband and it is suddenly DIRE. Half the minimum promised speed. The kids are grouchy their games are slow and glitchy. Funny how quickly you get used to a good service and how annoying it is when it suddenly takes longer to do anything.

Three loads of laundry washed, dried and folded already this morning. Will do the bedding from the top floor today in preparation for the beginning of a shiny new short month of February.

All my kids got the free government Child Trust Fundmoney - I think it was £250 - when they were born and it was put in an ethical 'FTSE for good' plan. The plans have all been sold from one company to another, but they can't go in to a child ISA, as there are stupid date restrictions, but I did get a statement for each account. Now, there are roughly two years between all my kids (yeah, breastfeeder).
    Currently DS1 is on £850,
    DS2 is on £450
    DS3 is on £410
    DS4 is on £430.
    I know there is a long way to go until they are 18 and can get their hands on the money, but still, this was obviously not thought through very well, probably why they brought out the Junior ISA plan instead. You always have to remember that stocks and shares can go up as well as down, and only 2 years ago they were all worth less than the original £250 stake. Still, it was a totally ridiculous idea and someone ought to have vetoed it. Did happily take advantage of it though.

Right, time to wash this poo off my head before I resemble one of those orange trolls.
  • f0xh0les
    Wow! My m-i-l is a total D-1- C-K

The dye is not the colour it says on the box - this is not auburn, it is the fiery red that should only be used by dark brown/black hair. Should have been more suspicious when I saw it was already opened. Nevermind, I can pull this off. It is only going to get brighter in the next two days. Live and learn Foxy, live and learn.
  • f0xh0les
    Monday already! Only one day left of January. Roll on February lovely short month of coldness and rain.

One and a half doors left to go until the job is finished. I have definitely developed Strippers' shoulder. So much less exciting than it sounds.

Wondering whether or not to do a monthly shop - to stop me going shopping and to raise my amount of NSDs. The fear I have is that the kids will eat the month's supply of biscuits / crisps / breakfast cereal / ice cream in the first week and spend the rest of the month complaining about how there is nothing to eat in this house, waaaah waaah waaah waaah and having to put up with earache. I have tried to explain to them they can only eat something once before it is gone, and they need to ration themselves, but somehow that turns into GORGE, GORGE, GORGE, GORGE like the klaxon on a submarine in dive mode between leaving my mouth and hitting their ears. That and the idea of spending that amount of money in one hit.

I have a little money box that is almost full of copper coins already. Then I will move on to the next one, and the next one - I have four in reserve.

DH is sitting here with DS2 and they are painting little miniature wargames figures. So nice they are finally doing something together. The best bit was when DH washed his brush out in his mug of Earl Grey, he was totally absorbed and I had to tell him what he was doing. Priceless.

On the surprise 'hair' front, the colour has deepened quite a lot. It looks very un-natural but I can live with it, or wear a hat, either or. DS3 told me I look weird. Little charmer, takes after his Dad.

Right, off to do stuff. Well, think about stuff really. Not going to do anything more than make a cup of tea, I am knackered tonight.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure