Switch ISP, retain email address?

Would appreciate advice or views on the following...

I really want to keep my existing email address when switching ISP.

I've switched ISP only once in the past and managed to keep my old email address (because the address is based upon the incoming SMTP mail server and not the outgoing, it would appear). So, when I switched ISP in the past, I simply changed the outgoing server settings in my email program (to match the new ISP's requirements) whilst leaving the incoming server settings unaltered. It works fine.

But now I've changed ISP again and, leaving email settings as they are, I can't send emails from my PC - quite understandable. Problem is, I can't find the outgoing settings for my new ISP, SKY. (and even if I could, I wouldn't assume it would work - though I'd like to try).

Going forward, many of us could end up switching ISP's every year. I certainly don't want to be changing my email address that often and I expect most folks wouldn't wish to either. Surely there's a method for retaining email addresses when switching ISP?

Comments

• Fortyfoot
    Fortyfoot Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Gmail.

Fortyfoot
  • dogfonos
    dogfonos Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ahh, the dreaded 'G' word.

Thanks for the suggestion but that would have to be a last resort. I don't like the company or any of it's software I've used to date.

I should have been clearer in post#1. Ideally, I'd like to retain my current (original) email address so that's what I'm investigating first.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    dogfonos wrote: »
    Would appreciate advice or views on the following...

I really want to keep my existing email address when switching ISP.

I've switched ISP only once in the past and managed to keep my old email address (because the address is based upon the incoming SMTP mail server and not the outgoing, it would appear). So, when I switched ISP in the past, I simply changed the outgoing server settings in my email program (to match the new ISP's requirements) whilst leaving the incoming server settings unaltered. It works fine.

An SMTP server sends outgoing mail, not the other way round. POP3 and IMAP are used to receive mail.

It sounds like what happened is the ISP you used revoked your SMTP authorisation to send mail using their server, but didn't actually get rid of your email account. If they had, it would have stopped working.
    But now I've changed ISP again and, leaving email settings as they are, I can't send emails from my PC - quite understandable. Problem is, I can't find the outgoing settings for my new ISP, SKY. (and even if I could, I wouldn't assume it would work - though I'd like to try).

The settings I use for Sky are:

Server: smtp.tools.sky.com
    Port: 465
    Username: <sky email address>
    Authentication method: normal password
    Suthentication security: SSL/TLS

The problem you may have is that Sky will not allow you to use their SMTP server to send mail using a "from" address that they do not recognise (in order to prevent spam). If you log in to Sky's web mail service, you can add your old ISP's email account as an alias, thus allowing you to send email via Sky's SMTP server in future (whether you use webmail or an email client).

Of course, you may well find that your old ISP deletes your email account.
    Going forward, many of us could end up switching ISP's every year. I certainly don't want to be changing my email address that often and I expect most folks wouldn't wish to either. Surely there's a method for retaining email addresses when switching ISP?

There are two possibilities. One is to never use an ISP's email service. Sign up for a account with one of the many free email providers. GMX is my favourite (gmx.co.uk), but there are many choices.

Alternatively, register a domain name (such as dogfonos.co.uk) for about £7 a year, and set up email forwarding to whatever ISP email account you happen to be using at the time.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ahh, the dreaded 'G' word.

Thanks for the suggestion but that would have to be a last resort. I don't like the company or any of it's software I've used to date.

Me too. GMX has a much better privacy policy. I think it's based in Germany, which has better data protection laws than other (American) companies.
    I should have been clearer in post#1. Ideally, I'd like to retain my current (original) email address so that's what I'm investigating first.

Alas, that's not possible. It's entirely up to the ISP whether they let you keep your email account when you leave.
  • dogfonos
    dogfonos Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 October 2016 at 6:51PM
    Thanks for your replies - appreciated.

Will try out Sky settings as suggested - thanks again.
  • Apologies for delay in replying, esuhl. These things take some time to sink in.
    esuhl wrote: »
    Alas, that's not possible. It's entirely up to the ISP whether they let you keep your email account when you leave.

The first ISP I ever used has let me continue to use it's email address so I continued to use it's servers for receiving emails only (as you pointed out, incoming emails are not SMPT, but POP3, Ooops). I couldn't send emails using the first ISP's servers so changed outgoing SMTP address to the then 'new' ISP (Virgin Media) and everything worked fine for a couple of decades.

Now, I've changed ISP again - to SKY. I still receive emails using my very first ISP's servers so, at present, I'd like it to stay that way though I do see a non-ISP web-based email system as the future as you suggest. When I re-gain the will to live, I'll investigate GMX and others - thanks for that.
    esuhl wrote: »
    The problem you may have is that Sky will not allow you to use their SMTP server to send mail using a "from" address that they do not recognise (in order to prevent spam). If you log in to Sky's web mail service, you can add your old ISP's email account as an alias, thus allowing you to send email via Sky's SMTP server in future (whether you use webmail or an email client).

That does appear to be the case. As you suggest, SKY's webmail service has an account setting (named: Reply-to) that, I think, should allow me to set my preferred reply address. SKY describes this setting as: Receive replies to your sent emails at a different address. Sounds just what I want but unfortunately, it's default setting (which is my SKY email address) cannot be changed. Weird.

I'll give SKY a call or take a look around their forums when I have more time to see if I can find out why I can't change certain account settings. Won't you have similar problems, esuhl, using a GMX email address?

Thanks again for your detailed response.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure