'Tesco scores second own goal in the '£50 iPad' fiasco' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• zipady_do
    zipady_do Posts: 116 Forumite
    Yeah clearly an emailing error from them and it just ticked over on their system saying that you'd bought X product X days before, time to send an email encouraging you to review. No biggy, delete and move on.

Think the bigger question is was it a PR stunt to do the original £50 price? I think yes. You'd never get the BBC reporting that the iPad 3 is stocked in Tesco's now, but you did get them reporting that when the price issue happened. Clever Marketing.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    zipady_do wrote: »
    Yeah clearly an emailing error from them and it just ticked over on their system saying that you'd bought X product X days before, time to send an email encouraging you to review. No biggy, delete and move on.

Think the bigger question is was it a PR stunt to do the original £50 price? I think yes. You'd never get the BBC reporting that the iPad 3 is stocked in Tesco's now, but you did get them reporting that when the price issue happened. Clever Marketing.

Im pretty sure had Tesco done it deliberately that is a criminal offense under Trades Descriptions so I doubt it was deliberately. Just a glitch. This latest episode though is bad systems managment.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • landsker
    landsker Posts: 65 Forumite
    Tesco - fail!
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    Not to mention that the product is "The new iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G 64GB Black" - but the picture shown is clearly white!
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    That'll teach them to use a Workfare slave in the IT department.

Most people in marketing drive BMWs, because they can't spell Porsche.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Obukit
    Obukit Posts: 670 Forumite
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Im pretty sure had Tesco done it deliberately that is a criminal offense under Trades Descriptions so I doubt it was deliberately. Just a glitch. This latest episode though is bad systems managment.
    Come on Martin. This is the Tescos who, rather than make changes to prevent the hundreds of nationwide misprices they make per year, introuduced R&R/Double the difference so that complaints would stay in store rather than going to Trading Standards, and they could keep on overcharging the 99% of people who don't check their receipts.

I don't think they'd have any qualms over "accidentally" mispricing something.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,984 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I pre-ordered a ps vita from very on what was obviously a half price glitch, they emailed to say the product was no longer available...then emailed again 2 days before launch offering the same 'unavailable' product at full price as obviously my 'buying history' suggested I might be interested in the product...muppets.
    I think....
  • eslick
    eslick Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tesco online customer service is very poor, before christmas we ordered a DVD that was about half price of everywhere else, when it didnt arrive checked online and it was cancelled, emailed them no response, called them the guy said it was a bargain and couldnt explain why it had been cancelled, and would get back to me, still waiting. wont use them online again.
  • melbell
    melbell Posts: 488 Forumite
    michaels wrote: »
    I pre-ordered a ps vita from very on what was obviously a half price glitch, they emailed to say the product was no longer available...then emailed again 2 days before launch offering the same 'unavailable' product at full price as obviously my 'buying history' suggested I might be interested in the product...muppets.
    and you are clearly not a muppet trying to rip off very?

Muppet
  • ShaneUK
    ShaneUK Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Worrying. Anyone that has got that email could click "no", and leave negative feedback. That in turn could affect anyone wanting to buy an iPad 3 - Apple won't be happy at this of course!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure